advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2017 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
38437546185_1330fb359f_b.jpg

Atop The Wrekin, on Boxing Day. The views were worth the leg ache!

David, explain this project. I can obviously see the widescreen bit, but the photos seem to have something beyond just that in terms of sharpness, clarity and focal depth. Perhaps it is just the widescreen and the framing?

It started as an attempt to process images in a cinematic style, using adjustments to alter the colour grading of the image (which usually desaturates part of the spectrum and makes other parts pop out), the biggest challenge though isn't the post processing styles (though there is a lot more experimentation (and learning) to be done), but its seeing the world in 2.35:1, images taken with other aspect ratios in mind do not readily translate into the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I need to do a lot more work on the actual image acquisition side.

I think that part of the focal depth comes from the fact that the image is cropped, and that OOF areas end up being to the sides, rather than all round the image.

It's certainly a challenge.

It started as an attempt to process images in a cinematic style, using adjustments to alter the colour grading of the image (which usually desaturates part of the spectrum and makes other parts pop out), the biggest challenge though isn't the post processing styles (though there is a lot more experimentation (and learning) to be done), but its seeing the world in 2.35:1, images taken with other aspect ratios in mind do not readily translate into the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I need to do a lot more work on the actual image acquisition side.

I think that part of the focal depth comes from the fact that the image is cropped, and that OOF areas end up being to the sides, rather than all round the image.

It's certainly a challenge.

Really interesting. It certainly works. I assume you have to treat each image differently.

How do you like the 35/2 Lefty?

Initial impressions are that it's a solid lens. Quick to focus, small and sharp. It's even capable of producing pleasing bokeh (when shot relatively close to the subject and with a background at a sufficient distance with specular highlights). It'll do very nicely indeed while I bide my time and figure out which XF lenses I will be acquiring...

Giddy...

Dizzy by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Olympus Pen F/Panasonic 20-1.7

I like this Richard - made me look twice!

Lefty

It's even capable of producing pleasing bokeh (when shot relatively close to the subject and with a background at a sufficient distance with specular highlights)

Sorry to quote myself, but just had to test this to see what this lens is capable of (using a lego stromtrooper as a model!).

Fesitve Stormtrooper by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Fuji X-T2 / XF35mm f2 WR

This is a better result than I expected. Sure, the Sigma 50mm f1.4 ART is better, but it's also bigger and heavier on its own, than the X-T2 + 35mm f2 WR combined!

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back