advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2017 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSC_8107_1024_2.jpg

Delville Wood CWGC Cemetery, Longueval, Somme.

For some reason I can’t see your images I just see the
tag.

I’ve tried disabling my broadband filters etc. but to no avail.

The army had a Remembrance Day event over the weekend, so the Wattisham museum provided the Phantom and Hunter as backdrops. The Hunter was one of the Black Arrows that set a record of 22 aircraft in a loop in 1958.

The army had a Remembrance Day event over the weekend, so the Wattisham museum provided the Phantom and Hunter as backdrops. The Hunter was one of the Black Arrows that set a record of 22 aircraft in a loop in 1958.

Wattisham museum? I didn't know there was one. Is it open to the public, or in the army jursidiction?

The F4 looks very smart. The Black Arrows were based at North Weald, my place of work. The Hunter that so tragically crashed at Shoreham lived there, was always a joy to see.

No problem here. 08.26 (French time)
Dave

This is what I see, it's the same on iphone, iPad and Mac.

screen shot.jpg

If I click on the image box and select open in new tab it opens a dropbox page but that doesn't display either. Curiously it downloads the jpeg at the same time and displays it in a preview window....

All fine here - Chrome on PC and iPad
This is really perplexing, it occurred to me to turn off WiFi on my iPhone and retry to see if my BT broadband is somehow blocking dropbox but I still get the same issue. I've tried my Windows laptop as well and get the same result. So it's not my broadband and it's not a iOS / OSX issue. I'm stumped.

Wattisham museum? I didn't know there was one. Is it open to the public, or in the army jursidiction?

The F4 looks very smart. The Black Arrows were based at North Weald, my place of work. The Hunter that so tragically crashed at Shoreham lived there, was always a joy to see.

The Wattisham museum is within the base, but one sunday per month, if booked, the public can visit. I'll try and find more info, but unless you're local I wouldn't say it's worth a special effort. One of the guys at work is involved with it, so if I remember I'll ask him tomorrow.

Edit: info here http://www.wattishamstationheritage.org/index.html

I can't see eternumvitis' images on my works computer (all other images are visible). I can however see everything on personal pcs, laptops & 'phones. My guess is the photo hosting site, which I assume is not flickr, possibly getting blocked by a firewall or similar

DSC_8107_1024_2.jpg

Delville Wood CWGC Cemetery, Longueval, Somme.

Superb! I really like this eternumviti.

Both taken almost exactly 2 years ago. I have spent quite a lot of time in these places during the last few years, but they still completely catch you out, especially at this time of year, and today. Very emotional today.

Amar, I see a lot of consistency in your work, there's a very strong lefty imprint. Go with the book.

I really appreciate the vote of confidence and kind words! That means a lot. I may have to start compiling / curating images when I'm off over Christmas. I've got an idea that I've had in my head for a while but it won't be until I put the images together with a proposed layout that I'll be able to see it it 'flows' or not.... quite excited!!

I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert - someone has probably written a book on the subject - I just 'know what I like':D

Having said that, I think it depends on the image and how you see it/wish to present it. Some pictures need a frame and/or a mask, others don't. The Cezanne landscape print I played about with now looks perfect (to me anyway) in what I can only describe as a 'window-frame'.
I don't necessarily go along with McLuhan's famous epigram, but do think the mount and frame can either emphasize or de-emphasize the medium: looking through this thread, sometimes the photographic process is an intrinsic part of the desired result (c.f. Berger, Sontag, Dyer et al) - at other times the image is everything and should be framed more like a painting imo.

For me that particular picture is crowded, contending with a dark, heavy frame, whereas a larger mount and lighter coloured frame would be preferable by far. (Since large frames are expensive, I'd start by painting what you already have: you can go back to black if you don't like it.)

Most frames are neutral, which is obviously the safe option. If you can find it, the ideal combination really shows off the picture and repays the effort. I made the original comment because I thought your picture deserves better, but it's still only one opinion.

I really appreciate the advice. Always looking to learn. I like the idea of painting the frame.

Lefty

I've been playing with the Pro2 and macro today having decided that the new Fuji 80mm is far too expensive. This is my old Olympus 80mm / f4 (at f8 I think) on the Oly Auto Bellows, with a cheap Meike ring flash. The text on the lead looks pretty sharp at the edge. This Karat is on my WT Amadeus GTA (it's at times like this you notice the dirt and corrosion!)

_DSF2073.jpg by Gavin Reid, on Flickr

I can't see eternumvitis' images on my works computer (all other images are visible). I can however see everything on personal pcs, laptops & 'phones. My guess is the photo hosting site, which I assume is not flickr, possibly getting blocked by a firewall or similar

I think eternumvitis' images are hosted on Dropbox and therein lies the problem although I'm at a loss to figure out what it is on my system that's blocking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back