advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2012 part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Midsummer common, Cambridge, today

MooMidsummer1800.jpg

Tony

Now that is a bonny car.

Another with the wee LX-5. Late evening dog walk trying to get the boy moving during the holidays.

[

Nice candle pic.... but not sure there's much need for massive images like this... some of us still have slow connections y'know ;)

Mark, the car makes a nice noise - as for the photo, it looks meh to my eyes! some kind of weird banding issue going on in the sky. Lightroom 4 is very slow at rendering images and as for the adjustment brush, well, that is unusable on my machine.

Mark, the car makes a nice noise - as for the photo, it looks meh to my eyes! some kind of weird banding issue going on in the sky. Lightroom 4 is very slow at rendering images and as for the adjustment brush, well, that is unusable on my machine.

Yep, the LR3 adjustment brushes are painful on my purpose built PC too. Fast processor and memory, solid state operating system drive, dedicated raid 0 cache drive and separate raid 0 data drive (back up on import!) and they are still at best painful and at worst unusable.

Mask a layer in photoshop and it's fine though...

Hello, Mike.

I have a similar PC build to yours - CS5 works extremely fast on my machine. You could try and increase the size of Lightroom's camera raw cache from its default 1GB to 20GB and see if you get any more speed in the develop module. Oh, and keep your 1.1 previews as well, as I've found it speeds things up.

I'm thinking of moving the location of my camera raw cache from the default C drive (which is a solid state 64GB, and is my operating system, programs only drive) to the E drive which is photos and other data etc.

The trouble is, I don't know how to go about this location change and what it might cause, stability wise?

You can move the camera raw/LR cache through one of the preference menus - I forget which and am away from home for a few days - but I understand that it doesn't want to be on the same disc as the image files for optimium performance. A small (properly managed) SSD or HDD would be fine. I defined 100Gb lmiits for both ACR and LR caches as the raid 0 drives had 600Gb capcacity and only have the caches and LR catalogues on them.

The big raid 0 data drive is quite fast once in operation, but windows seems to take a while to work it out on start up.

I find LR3 a bit unstable and it falls over periodically - not sure whether that's the cache location or a video or other issue.

I've had zero issues with LR4 and thats on a low power i3 laptop with 4gb of ram. Still in the midst of building a machine that will be a photo only machine so I'll wait and see how it copes with more resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back