advertisement

pfm photo theme thread # 163 Straight Out Of Camera!

Well done, Martin. Lovely image of a great city!!

But what a haul of great shots overall - inspiration for all of us! :D

A great critique! It was actually a desperate last gasp entry, shot through the window of a second hand shop with my phone.

Nerd info - auto flash :D

And well done Martin!

As for my critique I followed some ideas from http://www.luminous-landscape.com/about/briots-view/vision_11_critiquing_photographs.shtml, not exactly BBC Radio 4 Front Row but it pointed me in the right direction. I do not have the confidence yet to point out where others could do better or to praise or not a photographers artistic skills or technical prowess in a coherent way but to know someone appreciates my efforts helps a lot.

I hope to win another chance sometime in the future, thanks.

Is there any appetite on here for a critique sub-forum? We have some excellent photographers on here, and some who are excellent and don't realise it. Sometimes you need an external "eye" to look at an image and identify why it doesn't quite work. I find it quite amazing that I can work on an image for ages, print it, mount it and enter it into a competition, and the judge will then point out something wrong with it that is completely obvious. Likewise judges can come up with some completely daft suggestions, and in the camera club scene, most judges are judges because they have been successful in camera club competitions! I think we have a good spread of talents here and feel I could put up an image for critique and get an honest and considered assessment.

I don't think any special sub forum is required, I just though I'd share with others the process behind my choice.

I would like some feedback on mine, I stick them up and wonder if any one likes them.

Pete

I like the PAW thread because it's mostly a very nice gallery of current work with the odd word of encouragement. It's petty easy to inadvertently offend someone unless a critique is expressly asked for. Instead of a sub-forum, how about a tag in front of the title, like "FS:" in the classifieds (e.g. CS: for critique sought), and one photo critique discussion per thread. I think it would help if the OP stated why he chose it and what kind of feedback he is seeking. e.g. here's the b&w and color versions, which works better for you and why?

Dan has pretty much nailed-down how I feel about this, too.

I do like the idea of critique by peers - when opinions are solicited or given in the best spirit as 'personal-responses-to.' I've certainly learnt a lot from it here over the years - both in terms of compositional or exposure issues and technique, and the inspiration of new-things-to-try. Still so many things to try yet...

Martin, Dan, Pete, Phil, Jem and others,

I apologise If I have caused upset to you and others by expressing my thoughts of your entries to the competition.

Not being a professional or indeed an amateur judge of photo competitions I was at a bit of a loss as to how to set about the task of judging entries, so after a bit of browsing I decided to follow some of the ideas contained within the luminous landscape link.

Once again sorry. I'll say no more on this subject.

NO! It was, and is appreciated - I like it when someone can say 'I like this because...' and articulate their thoughts.

:)

Auric, you have an opinion and its perfectly acceptable to express it, if its done constructively.

Pete

I apologise If I have caused upset to you and others by expressing my thoughts of your entries to the competition.

Not being a professional or indeed an amateur judge of photo competitions I was at a bit of a loss as to how to set about the task of judging entries, so after a bit of browsing I decided to follow some of the ideas contained within the luminous landscape link.

Absolutely the opposite! I thought your critique was spot on, and has inspired me to put one of my "so-so" images up for critique, so not only a great theme, but also inspired judging. I have done judging at a camera club level, live in front of and audience, and its quite difficult, especially when your hear yourself spouting inane drivel, but at least all is forgotten (if not forgiven...) after the night.
Judging or critique-ing on here is more daunting, as you don't know who is "listening" and its preserved forever.

Yikes! No! I was referring only to the PAW thread and also to the difficulty in interpreting the sentiment behind a posting (my post a case in point!). It is very nice when the photo competition judge gives some explanation of their choice - I actually find that hard to do, but you did a great job. I think we can have healthy, even robust, critiques here, but think it might be safer if they are solicited by the photographer.

Auric, absolutely no offence taken! I was surprised it even got a mention. The camera on my Samsung phone isn't the best, and it was only down to my amazing amount of skill and technique that it turned out at all.:)

Phil.

advertisement

Back