advertisement

PFM Photo Theme 326: "Grooves". Closes Sunday Feb 25th 2024

Running through the entries in order (please take nothing below seriously it's purely the subjective thoughts of one person):

@Locheeboy - I like this image, the warmth of the colour is very satisfying although I do find the raised part on the left where the chainsaw has come in from a different angle to be a little distracting. That's an old tree!

@cosimoss - This is a lovely close up shot, despite it being a mundane object it's full of intrigue created by the close crop giving it an abstract quality and the composition feels bang on.

@Pete MB&D - Love the colours in this image. I'm guessing it's a Lensbaby that's been used to get the effect and therein lies the rub. I find my eye darting around the image and unable to settle. But I love those colours and, if I remember rightly, it's maybe taken with my old D850!

@Rockmeister - At first I thought this was a monotone image and then I noticed the very low saturation green tones. I can't decide if I'd prefer it to be a B&W or as it is. The textures in the leaf at the top are wonderful but, if I'm honest there's also some distracting elements.

@Bob McC - Hmm, what to say? This feels like an image that's documenting something more than an image purely for the sake of entertainment. I've tried hard to view it as the latter but I can't get past the fact that it gives me what my kids would call 'the ick'. I'm not squeamish but it reminds me of various bike crashes and the resulting damage.

@gintonic - I like this image a lot. At first I thought the zip was a distracting element but, when the image is viewed in it's entirety is actually create a line that flows nicely. Again, love those colours.

@paulfromcamden - Nice B&W shot. The grooved steps of whatever that is lead nicely into the image. From that point my eye is a little confused as it's a sudden change to water and then reflections.

@wulbert - Another nice close up study. I like the subtle colours and the textures within this image. I think though that I'd either like to see more or less - so more as in a wider view to get some context or less as in a tighter close up to eliminate the extraneous elements.

@antinchip - This makes me think of fairies for some reason! I've no idea what this grooved stone is part of - some form of steps? - and that adds to the image for me as I'm trying to grasp what I'm seeing. There's a sense of time having passed since whoever cut those grooves and laid the stone.

@vince rocker - Let's get the pressure washer out! The central part of this image holds all of the interest for me with the mix of Algae (if that's what it is) and general gunge creating nice muted tones and textures. The grass at the edge and muck at the bottom is distracting for me.

@sp25 - This image is very low resolution for some reason, I think I'm looking at a rock face perhaps or maybe just a split rock. It has an abstract quality that almost feels like it could be a painting of bark on a old tree.

So, after all that drivel, the winner for me is @cosimoss. This image is just lovely and nails it for me on composition and colour. Over to you for the next theme!

advertisement

Back