1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Outriggers for DIY speakers

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by orangeart, May 8, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris pfm Member

Totem Arros use blutak ( yellow actually) between speakers and plinth. Never saw any tendency for them to move in the years I used them.

2. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

The outriggers I originally ordered are finally on the water and on thier way to me, hopefully when they arrive those of you who put your names down will still be interested in receiving your sets.

3. Marra

Marra pfm Member

Good to hear :)

4. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

These out riggers are finally here!! If anyone else would like to add themselves to the original group buy then feel free to add yourself to the google sheet in the OP and PM me with your contact and delivery details.

Stefan

5. Chris

Chris pfm Member

Have reordered mine 'cos I like the way they look but have just noticed the spike is aligned with the speakers side panels as opposed to being inset on the speakers horizontal base. Intuition tells me this should be a good thing but what do I know.

6. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

They widen the base a little to help with tipping. I'll get those that have re signed thier interest invoiced tomorrow.

Stefan

7. Chris

Chris pfm Member

Yes, of course but I was guessing that speakers would be "stiffer" in the vertical plane (corners)whereas the horizontal might be more prone to "flex" the further away you get from the edge. I dunno, the actual weight of the box would be better grounded along the edges but I´m no architect although I did once put a tent up..

8. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Ah, I see what you mean, makes sense. A wall of course is only stable because it's vertical, if you tried to build a roof in the same way as a wall it wouldn't stay up long so your thoughts make sense!

9. Marra

Marra pfm Member

Many thanks Stefan the outriggers were delivered safely on Monday.

10. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing a few of them in use, don't forget to send a photo.

Stefan

11. Manimal

Manimal Member

Hi Stefan

Arrived last week and now installed. My DIY speakers are quite old school so wider baffle than depth hence outriggers fitted front and rear to help with stability on the narrow base.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

I'm pleased with the effect. Definitely more stable and the supplied spikes are nice and chunky.

Dog as helpful as always...

12. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Looks good, let's have a close up and a bit of info about the speakers, they look cool.

13. Manimal

Manimal Member

Rather than muddle up this thread I'll start another about the speakers.

They are quite good.