advertisement

Online auction snipers and nikon lenses

Been using eSnipe for years - it's never 'missed' for me.

Oh, and whilst they ask for money, there are no consequences if you don't pay them anything.

tomek said:
I have a friend using Nikon for more than 30 years. He has few slr bodies and many older very expensive Nikon lenses. None of them is working properly with his new D70, which he bought because he wanted to use his old lenses...
I had the opposite problem. I bought a Pentax *ist DS, which is fully compatible with all their earlier manual focus SMC-A lenses, and I wished I didn't sell all my Pentax prime glass when I defected momentarily to Nikon. At least it's relatively cheap and easy to buy old and very good Pentax SMC lenses. Well, mostly cheap. The A*85/1.4, which I had, still goes for stupid money.

James

Gary - if you do change your eBay password after each bid - DO NOT FORGET To change the eBay Password in the eSnipe system -

This warning brought to you as a result of one lost bid <g>

I use www.auctionsniper.com which has been fine and also does that group bidding thing which is handy when you are bidding on several identical items finishing close to each other.

Alternatively, of course, you could just place a genuine bid in plenty of time with your carefully considered maximum bid and then nobody can outsnipe you unless they are prepared to pay more than you are...

Andrew

Indeed Andrew I agree.

However when I do this someone always, and without fail gets me for £1 more than I bid. That is frustrating.

I would just wait to the last few seconds, but I seem to have a lot of issues with ebay, when it says 30 seconds, I place a bid and the next page says 'sorry the auction ended' In other words the time ebay shows is significantly out.

Also I don't get emails for won bids, etc for a long time. My win on the lens last night for instance didn't come through on the email for an hour.

Generally all Nikon lenses produced before 1999 are not fully supported by new Nikon digital slr.
More like 1989*, but, yeah. The Basic rule of thumb, with some notable exceptions, is that all auto-focus Nikkors will work fully, while all manual-focus Nikkor will not. Some lenses, like the pre-AI Nikkors, may even damage a modern camera like the D50/70.

Joe

*1986 to be precise

What about the one I won Joe?

Auto Focus so I am feeling confident. However what would be the real focal length for this lens on my camera?

Gary,
What about the one I won Joe?
It's an early AF Nikkor -- you can tell by the thin focusing ring -- but it will work on your D50.

However what would be the real focal length for this lens on my camera?
Focal length does not change. A 28–85mm lens on any camera, assuming it fits, is a 28–85mm lens. The focal length is constant. Etched in stone. Never changes. What does change is the angle of view, or what's sometimes called the 35mm focal length equivalent, since the comparison is almost always to how a lens would behave if mounted on a 35mm camera.

Anyway, the simple answer is that the 28–85 you just won will behave like a ~42–128mm would on a 35mm camera, except it'll have more depth of field at a given f-stop.

Joe

P.S. You still haven't bought a proper macro lens.

garyi said:
Indeed Andrew I agree.

However when I do this someone always, and without fail gets me for £1 more than I bid. That is frustrating.

I would just wait to the last few seconds, but I seem to have a lot of issues with ebay, when it says 30 seconds, I place a bid and the next page says 'sorry the auction ended' In other words the time ebay shows is significantly out.

Also I don't get emails for won bids, etc for a long time. My win on the lens last night for instance didn't come through on the email for an hour.

I have the e-bay clock window in my favorites. I just make sure that it and my wristwatch are showing the same time ( they are always withing 1 sec of each other).

I also use the e-bay clock when checking internet connections , etc to make sure it ( the computer i'm working on ) is connected. The e-bay clock only gives you a snap shot , and updates each time you refresh...
e-bay time

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I use www.auctionstealer.com - they offer a free service that only allows 3 items per week to be sniped, and the timing is slightly slower than their "paid" service (i.e. 10-20 seconds before end of auction rather than 3-7 or whatever). It's worked for me though.

Joe.

I know. I just want to play, the lens that came with the D50 is clearly built cheaply, there is no getting away from that.

It was the cheaper one a Nikon DX AF-s 18-55. Its the standard one on the cheaper model, there is a better black on for around 150 more.

Put another way this Nikon D50 with the lens was 450 quid. Things have to be built to a price and compromised, I would guess its the lens in this case haha.

The kit lens is basically free on entry level SLRs but is pretty much useless. The £150 for the better quality lens would have been a much better deal I suspect.

Matthew

Gary,

The lens you bought can be pretty good optically -- apparently, there's a lot of sample-to-sample variation with the 28-85 -- so it may be better than your kit lens or it may not. If you're just playing around on eBay, no problem. But if you're trying to buy glass for a certain purpose you might be better served by asking here first instead of bidding like a drunken sailor then asking afterward if you've goofed.

Incidentally, you'll need to set the lens to its smallest aperture (f/22) via its aperture ring for your D50 to be happy. (After that, you adjust aperture using the control dial on the camera, but the lens itself has to be set to f/22.)

Joe

Thanks Joe, thats the first ring I take?

I was sober as a judge last night haha.

I looked on the nikon website the lens I have won is called a macro on there.

Its got to be difficult for a young buck like me if everyone is lying!

so tell me a specific model to look out for Joe. For close ups of leaves, I know you told me already but tell me again because I is stupid.

Gary,

Thanks Joe, thats the first ring I take?
Yup, but if you have to ask -- ummmm, errrrrrr -- don't quit your day job.

I looked on the nikon website the lens I have won is called a macro on there.
Macro just means that the lens can focus closer than normal. Real macros focus even closer, plus they're so sharp you have to wear gloves when you handle your negatives.

so tell me a specific model to look out for Joe. For close ups of leaves, I know you told me already but tell me again because I is stupid.

It depends on your budget and whether you want to take pictures of living things, which can be scared off if you get too close.

Best on a budget -- 60mm f/2.8 AF Micro-Nikkor. Excellent close-ups, but little free space in front of the lens, so not the best choice for bugs and venomous snakes.

Best all-rounder -- 105mm f/2.8 AF Micro-Nikkor. Good compromise for regular close-ups, which could be covered by the 60, and bug shots, which are best taken with the 200.

The best bug lens -- 200mm f/4 AF Micro-Nikkor. This one is amazingly sharp and amazingly expensive. It's the best of the best, but don't even consider it unless you're seriously into macro.

Nikon also makes a true zoom macro -- the 70-180mm f/4.5-5.6 AF Micro-Nikkor -- but for that kind of money I'd go for the 200.

Oh, yeah. There's the 85mm f/2.8 PC Micro-Nikkor, too, but it's far too expensive and specialized for your needs. In fact, it's too complex even for Vuk, not to mention not German enough.

So, my recommendation is for the 60, unless you can stretch it to the 105. Neither will be cheap. Check eBay UK for local prices.

Joe

advertisement

Back