1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

One for all you Mains Cable Junkies...

Discussion in 'audio' started by G T Audio, Sep 13, 2017.

1. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Distributor and Manufacturer

2. Dark Energy

Dark Energy pfm Member

3. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

4. Foxman50

Foxman50 pfm Member

I have tried the Entreq offering. Didn't actually like what it did, but what amazed me was it made a difference at all.

A cable that runs from a spare RCA to a standalone box of dirt, WTF.

5. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Why are you surprised that attaching an aerial to an unused input makes a difference.

i'm guessing your inputs aren't lifted for gnd and signal by relays when switched off.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

7. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

Apparently the Nordost QX2 or QX4 can prevent your TV pictures being flat and two-dimensional. An amazing achievement!

8. sq225917

It's a common mode choke in a box and an led with its own smps. Holy shit that Nordost box is pure bullshit.

9. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Are we surprised?

10. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Saddened.
    Keith

11. garyi

garyi leave blank

The website gave me a headache

12. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

13. LesW

LesW Making electronics make music

All based on the enduring principle: "There's one born every minute"

14. narabdela

narabdela who?

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Alan is a very decent bloke, I've met him several times, though sadly there is no intellectual rigor or cross-referencing to that review the way I'd expect in say Stereophile or TAS. If he can hear a difference, and I'm not going to argue that he can't as I'm not an arrogant tosser, then I would like to understand why, i.e. the existing earthing on his system needs to be properly assessed and the product under review put on the test bench to see exactly what it is doing.

16. Julf

And above all, compared to just running an earth lead using basic house wiring cable.

17. Julf

And would I be an arrogant tosser to suggest that non-physical causes might be one possible explanation, and maybe even suggesting the results need to be independently verified before being taken seriously?

18. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

Oooooo, shiny!

19. Still

Still gyldengourd

Could be mistaken for Melania Trump's skipping rope.

20. sq225917

I bet that thick bit in the middle is really pissed off at bring in such thin company.