advertisement

Olympus OM-D EM10 MK1 + Panasonic 20mm f/1.7

albireo

pfm Member
Looks like the EM10 Mk1 is being phased out and is being sold for ~£320.

The Panasonic appears to be a decent compact+large aperture proposition at ~220.

Is this a good combo to replace a (bulkier) Nikon D3200 + 35mm f/1.8 for general photography, travels and any occasion where a smaller body is a plus - but SLR control is still needed?

Any suggestions on good pricing for the above EM10 combo? Thanks!

No personal experience, but a friend who is a professional motorsports photographer uses the OM-D EM10 and gets some great results. (He is actually converting to Fuji X at the moment, but he says its nothing to do with the OM-D - he wasn't too specific as to why, maybe some sponsorship deal perhaps...)

Both excellent pieces of kit. The P20 is a classic though not the fastest auto focussing lens in the Micro Four Thirds line up. That doesn't doesn't bother me really. I have the E-M5 mk1. I love it. Works great alongside my X100.

If you haven't held one I would suggest you do before buying as they are very small, not as comfortable as the E-M5. I sold mine as I couldn't get to grips with the handling, literally !!! Great performer though if it fits your hands.

That lens is a peach as long as you don't need fast focus, and the camera produces much better results than sensor-size snobbery might lead you to think. Downsizing, rather than downgrading, worked for me.

I have just landed this same combination of Camera/Lens and I'm now looking for soft and small case to fit just this combination.
I want small, light, attach to belt or over shoulder - not looking to carry other lenses or fit large zoom to camera in same bag - just the pancake.

The Olympus CS-44SF soft case for OM-D E-M10 seems ideal, but I feel the price is a little too much at £45, any suggestions for cheaper alternatives?

icecat_img_4993473.jpg

icecat_img_4993476.jpg

I think I'd rather spend £45 on a case that does the job properly than, say, £25 on one that does it exactly wrong. That £20 saving would just annoy me. In the photo the camera fits very snuggly.

advertisement

Back