advertisement

Olive 4 HD .. needs repair .. Help please

David P

Hi all

Wondered if anyone can help .. ?
I've had a bit of a mishap with my Olive 4 HD CD player .. I accidentally knocked it off my Rack !
Consequently It blew the mains lead fuse .. but when I replaced the fuse the unit didn't work .. Ive tried another lead and mains socket ( all the usual checks ) but alas no power, then decided to take the lid off the Olive only to find 'sooty' marks on the underside of the lid ! I can also see some sooting around the PCD boards .. so I'm fearing the worst here.
As the unit is more of a computer than pure CD player I wondered if anyone here could recommend someone to possibly fix it ?? Computer circuit board repairer or similar expert ??

I've had no response from Olive in the USA .. but hey, that's nothing I'm not used to with the company, as from past experience they failed me miserably with customer service !

Any help gratefully appreciated

I can follow circuit diagrams and know more than basics about electronics and electrical systems, but am far from an expert, but.......................

Unless you have a near miracle on your hands, I would think that you are looking at help from Olive or nothing, or considerable expense. With what sounds to be more than simple damage with multiple shorts to earth, I suspect that they would just substitute boards rather than fault-find as it would be far cheaper/quicker/simpler than fault-finding.

Unless Olive get involved, and they don't charge the earth, you are potentially looking at an uneconomic repair with a value of the 4HD of what? About £1k absolute tops?

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=OLive+4HD

Sounds like Olive are waste of time (heard the same from other people before). In these cases I always send the manufacturer a snotty email to tell them how crap I think their service is and that i'll not only never buy from them again, i'll warn others not to do so as well. They might even be more helpful after they read it, wouldn't hold your breath though! Posting this on a company's Facebook/Twitter pages too seems to get an even better response, there's no publicity like bad publicity.

Time to claim on the home insurance? Or chalk it up to experience and find a company that does have decent customer service - or buy something second-hand that has a good rep for being well-made and save loads over the cost of anything new.

It looks as though it uses a fairly basic 12v/5v PSU going on images online. If this is the case, assuming no nasty voltages have reached the main board and drives, it should be quite easy to find a substitute PSU. Or speak to Olive and find out what a replacement PSU costs.

Hi David

Can you take some photos of the inside of the unit for us to consider?

Barry

Thanks for the reply ... I'll get the lid off this week when I'm back home and take some pics .. if you could help that would be great .. never posted images on here before .. might struggle but willl give it a go

advertisement

Back