1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Fashioned Fountain Pen

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Have Fun, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Have Fun

Have Fun pfm Member

As I looked at the number of plastic pens on my desk a thought occured to me that an old fashioned refillable fountain pen & clutch pencil are in fact a lot greener solution than the throwaway plastic varieties we now use.

Imagine how much less plastic there would be to dispose of if they made a come back.

The revolution could start here guys.

Apart from that my handwriting always looked better when I used a fountain pen.

2. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

I have never been able to really write with a biro. I still have some fountain pens. However I prefer the little bellows to suck up the ink rather than cartridges.

Cheers,

DV

3. Have Fun

Have Fun pfm Member

I agree I'll have to hunt around my drawers for some

Yeah the cartridges would have to be refillable & reusable to be green

4. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Yup all my fountain pens are Parkers. I remember that a snooty Schaffer had a proboscis that sucked up the ink. The adverts showed some ponce with white gloves filling the pen.

But a Parker with a cartridge is just not the same. I like the little side lever that compresses the tube to suck up the ink. I used to be able to change inks easily in class from blue, royal blue, blue-black and black. The brighter colours were for girls...........

Cheers,

DV

5. palpnorte

palpnorte leaf, heem strong ...

Pelikan M800, Sailor blue ink. There is no finer writing experience.

6. concrete

concrete pfm Member

Where do you get those bellows? I have a really nice old wooden pen of my grandfather's but no way to use it.

7. Have Fun

Have Fun pfm Member

8. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

good choice. the brass nibs of pelican are the best for writing (as opposed to showing off a la mont blanc).

vuk.

9. palpnorte

Montblanc make nice enough pens, but indeed - you are paying for the boutiques, the adverts and Johnny Depp's modeling fees.

Pelikan's interchangeable nibs (e.g. a pen from the 40's will take an 80's nib), restrained design and piston filling system make them unbeatable, IMO .

palp

10. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

palp.

mont blanc nibs are too stiff. it all feels like writing with a roller-ball, which is what the rich inept klutzes want. a flexing nib gives you more artistic control, but is a disaster in the wrong hands. i also have this parker which i have taken a fetish picture of:

[​IMG]

vuk.

11. Virtual Dynamics

Virtual Dynamics Registered User

I also own the Pelikan 800 and concur with observations.

I do use gel ink for my daily writing and find it an acceptable compromise given their convenience and not having to worry about losing them during normal daily activities around the office.

The refills I use fit any Parker Style Pen , are 1.0 mm from the local Dollar Store and I get a two pack for a buck.

Smooth flowing

12. concrete

concrete pfm Member

Excellent, thanks! Might send it away and get it all refitted, I've no idea how usable it is.

13. andy831

andy831 pfm Member

A Pelikan, a Waterman or a Parker for me dependant on whether I want Blue, Green or Red ink.

14. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

I've been using a Parker Duofold Centennial for Donkey's years now. It's reserved for filling in the columns in my business books with Parker black ink and somehow it looks so much neater than doing the same with a Biro, even a good one.:)

15. blakeaudio

blakeaudio pfm Member

i have a dunhill sidecar and a mont blanc. the dunhill certainly has a softer nib and is generally more comfortable to write with, however it is nice to alternate. at work besides a keybord, everything i write is with a fountain pen.

16. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

As this is a thread inspired by green thinking and the idea of not creating non biodegradable rubbish I do not think references to using throw away cartridges should go unoticed. My wife found a Shaeffer pen ......is there a white dot range ..... besides the law courts in Edinburgh some 20 years ago it had a cartridge in it ....... it still has the same cartridge in it as we refill it from a ancient HP cartridge refiller that I now keep my ink in ... drip free and I believe the cartridge will last longer than those old bladdery things on my other pens ...... all Parkers and Swanns which were repaired at a ridiculous price in Edinburgh pen shop ..... all needed new scrotums fitted ...

so cartridges OK if refilled not if thrown away...... 'can I have a badge now'

17. Have Fun

Have Fun pfm Member

Now that could be interesting If I could use the same method

what is the hp refillable bit ? & is it still available?

18. palpnorte

Just ask for a blunt syringe at the chemists - take care to explain why you want it, and then drink in the relieved yet quizzical look.

Refilling cartridges works well enough, but you will miss out on the beneficial effects of flushing ink through the nib and section. You can do this by putting it in your mouth and huffing in and out, risking the interesting effects of an inky mouthwash, or alternately purchase the cartridge converter that will undoubtedly be available for your pen at :

The Writing Desk

who also supply over 150 colours of ink.

When I was young it was blue when you were learning, blue black or black when you'd learned, and then anything else for writing peculiar letters to the Radio Times. Happily this is no longer the case. One of my favourites is Noodler's 'El Lawrence', an intriguing little American ink which is a sort of greasy dark green verging on black, a bit like dirty engine oil.

palp

19. guybat

guybat [+]

Thanks chaps. This thread has wasted half my day. I'm now set on a Pelikan of my very own.

20. palpnorte

But which one? (I'm getting a bit evangelical, I think)

If you go for a Pelikan, then consider getting it from Niche Pens. Ray is a very nice guy, and they are the cheapest I've found in the UK (and will let you do things like home dem the nibs!)

palp