advertisement

old b&w negatives

It sounds to me like you are looking for either Aperture or Lightroom - they are aimed at digital captures, but they don't mind if it's from a digital sensor or a scanner.

Both products are a mixture of basic image manipulation (crop, rotate, adjust contast, colour etc) and image management - they allow you to add tags to images, such as people's names, titles, group them into multiple folders so that you can quickly find them by location etc.

I'd start with these products if I were you.

Cesare

Cesare, not too sure what I need but knocking about ideas on PFM before I reach for the credit card sure seems a good idea to me.

Thanks.

After looking through the Epson specifications it is down to V600 or V700.

V600 about half the price of the V700.
Uses ICE for reflected and transmitted images.
Can do batches or 4*35mm.

V700 about twice the price of the V600.
Uses ICE for reflected and transmitted images.
Can do batches of 12*35.

Twice the price but is it three times faster?

Still thinking and wondering.

I have come across some old b&w negatives ( 6*4.5 cm?) all perfectly exposed and in perfect condition that cover the period 1946 through to about 1958. Most if not all were developed and printed at home and cover a host of social happenings within the family and as such mean a lot to me and mine.

The question is what to do next?

My first thought are to find some place that can deal with these negatives and produce something along the lines of contact sheets plus scanned images.

I would like to end up with digital images that can be passed on to the next generation thus giving them a glimpse of life that was so much different from that of today.

Living within reach of London I'd be quite happy to take a small sample into somewhere that can do whatever is needed and has a reputation for doing this sort of thing well.

So folks, any ideas, anyone personal experience of this sort of thing?
I am loath to let Mr Google be my guide.

Any ideas?

You might want to have the most important of them printed if you want to ensure longevity. There is no guarantee that what is the current norm for digital storage will be the same in 10 years time...

Still thinking, After Shot Pro although still quite new (but related to Bibble) is imho worth a look but still a bit hard to find useful thoughts on the product not authored by the makers.

advertisement

Back