advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part XXIII)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I caught up with QT last night by accident (I was having too much trouble with quantum physics and multiple universes) but that Oakshott creature is odious. I assumed she was DM before I found out. Winston was the only one worth listening to.

How can anyone think that £200 will make women breastfeed? That money could be put into improving midwifery services. Maybe we should stop the Bounty boxes which appear in maternity hospitals exhorting the use of formula. Maybe we should look at the monopoly enjoyed by powdered milk manufacturers.

Sorry, OT. Back to Brexit.

QT is grimmer than a grim thing tonight. The BBC broadcasting from BNP central Barnsley with the Daily Mail personified in the bitter snide splutterings of Isobel Oakeshott. Ugh, I’m not sure I can get to the end of this it is so depressing. It is making the Jeremy Kyle show look like University Challenge...

I didn't watch it but I am afraid it does sound like a representative cross section of UK society, you cannot have year after year underinvestment in education, housing and a dog eat dog philosophy and expect pleasant people to emerge, they have been shat on, live in s4it areas, so they behave like s4it. Good luck Britain trying to build a world beating economy with them.

QT is grimmer than a grim thing tonight. The BBC broadcasting from BNP central Barnsley with the Daily Mail personified in the bitter snide splutterings of Isobel Oakeshott. Ugh, I’m not sure I can get to the end of this it is so depressing. It is making the Jeremy Kyle show look like University Challenge...

You can always spot the Brexit supporters: a bunch of overweight sweaty loudmouths.

The atmosphere in the audience was feral at times. Oakshot knew her constituency- "down with breast feeding tyranny- down with experts" generated a response like a Roman circus crowd. On safe ground she went in to pin homelessness not on the lack of social and affordable house building but in "the immigrants". This is Dacre's malignant populism at work and like Russel, I have grave concerns about the kind of society they are building.

"down with breast feeding tyranny- down with experts"

i thought the main wing of the breast-feeding tyranny was of the right...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/on-breastfeeding-my-body-my-choice_us_57a376a5e4b0f019c3e4f062

Breastfeeding has become the last legitimate “women’s work” — the only argument remaining for a gendered division of labor that argues that women’s place is at home with the children. And in order to fulfill this social agenda, it has been elevated to monumental status in order to fill the gap left by the erosion of other arguments in favor of keeping women out of the workforce.

A huge percentage of lactivist messaging pressures women to abandon or postpone their careers in order to stay home and breastfeed their babies.

And this is no coincidence — pushing women out of the workforce and back into the home has been a core aspiration of breastfeeding advocacy since the very beginning. The La Leche League was founded with the express mission of tying women to their babies through breastfeeding in order to keep them at home, and spoke of breastfeeding as “God’s plan for mothers and babies.” The original 1981 edition of the La Leche League manifesto The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding explicitly states that the only justification for mothers to work is financial necessity, and teaches group leaders to encourage women to leave their jobs and stay home full time.

If only we'd adopted the Euro, got rid of our EU border then none of this would have happened, it would have been nigh on impossible to leave. It's also a disgrace that 68% of Barnsley (QT) exercised their democratic right and voted to leave. It's shocking that they voted entirely opposite to the other 32%. What the hell sort of country have we become when some people have the temerity to see things differently? I blame something or other for everything.

I'm an overweight sweaty loudmouth but I would object to being called a Brexit supporter.
My apologies, I plead guilty to a bit, just a bit, of sweeping generalization here. But on balance, all things considered, and taking one thing with another, I think I'm right. But, having said all that, I'm sure you're a perfectly decent overweight sweaty loudmouth, and I'd buy you a pint (or two, or three....) should we ever meet in the pub.

F**k Brexit!

If only we'd adopted the Euro, got rid of our EU border then none of this would have happened, it would have been nigh on impossible to leave. It's also a disgrace that 68% of Barnsley (QT) exercised their democratic right and voted to leave. It's shocking that they voted entirely opposite to the other 32%. What the hell sort of country have we become when some people have the temerity to see things differently? I blame something or other for everything.

You'll have the freedom to forge new aftermarket part opportunities on the outside of the EU. Bon chance.

kraus.

if you were an american celebrity, that public statement would have caused a storm all over the twitter-news universe.

Oakshot described her experience of breastfeeding as though it was as traumatic as radical cancer treatment in 1930s Russia.
The vignette was then used as her springboard for her more generalised case against the tyranny (sic) of breastfeeding. She had taken one of the most fundamental human physical functions you could think of and politicised it in a manner to her editor's liking. Mr. Dacre does not like women taking their breasts out in public unless its for his delectation. Then you have to remember she made money from ghost writing a biography of David Cameron before sitting on the same programme calmly asserting that the then Prime Minister had put his penis into the mouth of a severed pig's head. It gives you an insight into a disturbed little inner world. Highly suited for work at the DM.

Is Oakshot a slightly more personable Katie Hopkins? Or her slightly less evil twin? Both blonde, 40ish, too many children, work for far-right rags....

My apologies, I plead guilty to a bit, just a bit, of sweeping generalization here. But on balance, all things considered, and taking one thing with another, I think I'm right. But, having said all that, I'm sure you're a perfectly decent overweight sweaty loudmouth, and I'd buy you a pint (or two, or three....) should we ever meet in the pub.

F**k Brexit!

I'm sorry but I must decline your kind offer, it's one or two or three.... pints which causes me to be an overweight sweaty loudmouth, looking at your last statement made me think of a song by the Sweet.

Does anyone know the way ?
There's got to be a way
To F**k Brexit!

Is Oakshot a slightly more personable Katie Hopkins? Or her slightly less evil twin? Both blonde, 40ish, too many children, work for far-right rags....
I'd say the main difference between them is that while Oakshott is poisonous too, she's quietly poisonous.

I stopped watching QT when Dimblebore the elder got the gig. You could see it going to be theatre/ratings over debate content. Any Questions seems to have largely avoided the worst excesses on R4 even with Dimblebore the younger. Perhaps it's the effect of cameras, they certainly worsened the standard of Parliamentary debate so I guess QT stands little chance, even if it gets a decent Chair.

This sounds curiously like someone who was posting " off with their heads" all over the place on pfm last year-

Emails sent to Soubry’s office, and seen by the Guardian, took similar lines.

One, from a man in Tonbridge, Kent – about 150 miles from Soubry’s Broxtow constituency – read: “You deserve to be HUNG for your attack on our democracy yesterday. WE VOTED OUT! OUT! OUT!” The writer, who gave his full address and telephone number, ended the email: “MAY YOU BURN IN HELL FOR ETERNITY.”

Brexit as Reformation II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back