advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part XXIII)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very worrying. According to the Irish Medical Times, civil unrest could be a real possibility post-Brexit

Civil unrest due to growing racial intolerance could potentially be one of the greatest threats to public health as a result of Brexit, the President of the Faculty of Public Health in the UK has suggested.

Addressing the RCPI Faculty of Public Health Medicine Winter Scientific Meeting last week, on the public health implications of Brexit, Prof John Middleton was asked by IMT what he believed the biggest threat to public health would be in the wake of the UK’s departure from the European Union (EU).

He said in the UK it would be food insecurity and growing intolerance.

According to Prof Middleton, if the UK leaves the EU in March 2019 food prices would increase by 20 per cent overnight and there would be food shortages. He also warned about possible civil unrest due to racial intolerance, and said for example white supremacists were already the feature of more police investigations.

“Civil unrest is a very real possibility,” he cautioned.

I could certainly see this most likely in the worst 'no deal' scenario. I just hope he's wrong, as this is one of the ugliest consequences of the Leave vote, the emboldening of the far-right.

Dominic Grieve, a former Attorney General of England and Wales has reported death threats against him to the police, in the wake Dacre's printing further incitement against him and fellow MPs this week. Cause and effect.

Wondering what those yearning for the benign, common sense leadership of the EC make of this:

https://diem25.org/leaked-commissio...ervatives-by-sacrificing-europe-to-austerity/

This is just a little more strict than it has been? South of Europe doesn't like it now, but they have less influence. Btw, ESM is the official new employer of Dijsselbloem... The EU first took care of problems so Dijsselbloem could finish his term as president eurogroup, without being a Finance minister. EU had bigger plans, they wanted Dijsselbloem to continue being president of eurogroup. So they communicated no candidates for the position applied, small lie, political. Then EU lobbied and they got the support, all agreed, they thought. Then in an EC meeting they shared the news Dijsselbloem was going to stay president eurogroup ... and one member used its veto: the Netherlands. Political games. Juncker probably can smile about this, because Dijsselbloem is the only EU official on record that said Juncker was a drunk and disgrace for EU :)

Perhaps one of the most disturbing images this week. Something Kubrikesque about it- the jumping spider next to the man with the surgically gloved hand, Boris as a spare part.

Or maybe Lynchian.. next they look straight into the camera with those smiles never fading and hungry eyes never blinking..

I thought you were being ironic, but you're serious, aren't you?

Goodness.

Stephen

Yep. All I've seen last couple of day is Guy Verhofstadt trying to get DD's agreement re-looked at because Barnier and Co seemed to have cocked up. Further, the EU now seem so worried they'll get out-maneuvered they want to decouple everything into smaller bits. How ridiculous it seems to me to agree the transition of a deal before you know what the deal is. Cart before the horse comes to mind. It all needs to be done together as DD has said. Still, I guess it's me not thinking straight again as usual. :D

QT is grimmer than a grim thing tonight. The BBC broadcasting from BNP central Barnsley with the Daily Mail personified in the bitter snide splutterings of Isobel Oakeshott. Ugh, I’m not sure I can get to the end of this it is so depressing. It is making the Jeremy Kyle show look like University Challenge...

QT is grimmer than a grim thing tonight. The BBC broadcasting from BNP central Barnsley with the Daily Mail personified in the bitter snide splutterings of Isobel Oakeshott. Ugh, I’m not sure I can get to the end of this it is so depressing. It is making the Jeremy Kyle show look like University Challenge...

Question Time audiences have long been the political TV equivalent of Trip Advisor reviewers - undisclosed vested interests abound.

I'm not watching but I gather REMAINIAC TRAITOR Nicky Morgan is on the panel. I hope they checked audience members for concealed knives and home-made firearms before letting them into the studio.

Meanwhile, over on Newsnight, Nick Watts' description of Saint Theresa's reception at the EU summit dinner was uncritical fawnng of the highest order. How much are we paying this idiot for his political "analysis"?

The DM Poodle is breathtaking in her hypocrisy - working for Dacre, who in turn works for Jonathan Harold Esmond Vere Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere -while pointing to the "Establishment" attempt at taking down Brexit. It's straight out of Breitbart as were her grudge match Pork Wand Chronicles about the hapless Cameron.

She's now calling for the end of "the breast feeding tyranny" and big fat blokes in the QT audience are applauding her! What does that tell you?

..and now linking the house building and homelessness crisis to immigrants.

The DM Poodle is breathtaking in her hypocrisy - working for Dacre, who in turn works for Jonathan Harold Esmond Vere Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere -while pointing to the "Establishment" attempt at taking down Brexit.

I’d pay money to see someone challenge her with that one! I’ve seen her outwitted before and it is rather amusing.

Surely the whole world doesn't have a veto on who is allowed to join the WTO? The US, Australia and India want to talk already I've heard.

I think you (and the MP Brexiteers) need to do some research on WTO membership. It is perfectly possible for members to drag their feet to gain concessions.

I think the UK Government assumes that, because we are already members of the WTO via the EU, we'll just be able to transfer membership. I've seen no evidence of this—this also assumes that the UK and EU can agree on a tariff share (alongside all the other EU trade negotiations).

Stephen

Yep. All I've seen last couple of day is Guy Verhofstadt trying to get DD's agreement re-looked at because Barnier and Co seemed to have cocked up. Further, the EU now seem so worried they'll get out-maneuvered they want to decouple everything into smaller bits. How ridiculous it seems to me to agree the transition of a deal before you know what the deal is. Cart before the horse comes to mind. It all needs to be done together as DD has said. Still, I guess it's me not thinking straight again as usual. :D

It seems to me that the only one not thinking straight is DD. He's already had to backtrack on the statement made last week re Ireland.

How you can see the EU 'outmanoeuvred' by the UK is beyond me. The EU set out these terms right after the referendum. DD is making it up as he goes along.

You (and DD) may not like the negotiating terms and see them as stupid but that's irrelevant. As in most international relationships, the bigger fish holds all the aces.

Stephen

I think you (and the MP Brexiteers) need to do some research on WTO membership. It is perfectly possible for members to drag their feet to gain concessions.

I think the UK Government assumes that, because we are already members of the WTO via the EU, we'll just be able to transfer membership. I've seen no evidence of this—this also assumes that the UK and EU can agree on a tariff share (alongside all the other EU trade negotiations).

Stephen

I'm sure you're right, and UK membership will not be automatic, but given the parlous state of relations between many existing WTO member states , I'm guessing the power of absolute veto is pretty limited once a candidate member meets all the necessary WTO membership criteria.

It seems to me that the only one not thinking straight is DD. He's already had to backtrack on the statement made last week re Ireland.

How you can see the EU 'outmanoeuvred' by the UK is beyond me. The EU set out these terms right after the referendum. DD is making it up as he goes along.

You (and DD) may not like the negotiating terms and see them as stupid but that's irrelevant. As in most international relationships, the bigger fish holds all the aces.

Stephen

Admirals Johnson and Davis are only now at the " there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today" moment. Next significant event to prepare for- Johnson eating his words, " Brexit is unstoppable". Later the shower will compete in their autobiographies as to who tried to moderate the damage to Britain caused by the other Bullingdons in their delusional Land of Hope and Glory final campaign before Britain's final downgrading on the international stage.

Indeed. That Oakshott woman has no right to the airtime she gets to spew out her racist right wing bile. And most of the audience were the worst kind of shallow, finger pointing, hectoring, bullying thicko a******es, who think that a single poorly constructed referendum allows them to assume the World will change forever just to suit them and their pig ignorant prejudices.

I even found myself half sympathetic to that Nicky Morgan.

What a bloody mess.

I'm sure you're right, and UK membership will not be automatic, but given the parlous state of relations between many existing WTO member states , I'm guessing the power of absolute veto is pretty limited once a candidate member meets all the necessary WTO membership criteria.

Possibly! Fancy running a country and economic policy on 'hope'.

The real holdup will be splitting the EU tariffs and countries like NZ and Australia will want to make sure the UK gets a quota on lamb and beef that is commensurate with the UK's size and position in the world.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back