advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part XXIII)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expect more of these little thrashings as reality takes hold and Brexiters slowly realise that hard Brexit is gone. Then soft Brexit gets softer and finally more people wake up to the fact that the final deal (as opposed to the previously advertised fantasy one) is considerably worse than the status quo. Similar commitments but no say or involvement. That will be when the real fun starts.

I am really beginning to wonder what we are gaining from this Brexit. People voted leave IMO for thinking it would lead to restricted immigration and we seem to be ending up in situation where all we get is deregulation, less protection as individuals and the opportunity to becomes a tax haven( we already do the money laundering) on the shores of Europe.. Not other changes . I would say that any one who is un/employed in this country will be less well off (polite).

2,500 fewer than was estimated a year ago, the article goes on to say.

Oh, so that's alright then!

I'm afraid banking job losses matter little to many Brexiters. It'll take a big employer of 'normal' jobs such as Honda or Nissan to up sticks before they'll start to sit up and take note.

It'll take a big employer of 'normal' jobs such as Honda or Nissan to up sticks before they'll start to sit up and take note.

I wonder if the newly Traded up Japan/EU situation will go like this for the UK.

"Can we have the same deal as the EU Japan?"

"No. Unless you stay in the single market and customs union so we can keep making cars in the UK. Then we'll talk about it."

I'm still unsure as to why the UK thinks that an economy the size of the UK's can get the same or better terms in trade talks than one the size of the EU. Can someone point me to an example of this happening elsewhere?

Stephen

I'm still unsure as to why the UK thinks that an economy the size of the UK's can get the same or better terms than one the size of the EU in trade talks.

I don't think much of the UK does think that. Just a few idiotic Brexiters in positions of influence and power.

2,500 fewer than was estimated a year ago, the article goes on to say.

I was about to ask who 'EY' are. Seems Ernst & Young have 'rebranded'.
One hopes not too many of your customers among them EV. The whole fiasco has also poured an ice bucket over current investment decisions.

I, for one, welcome our new European overlords.

(As part of the treaty, Waterloo will be renamed Toulon (site of three separate spankings of British forces by the French) and Trafalgar Square will now have a statue of Junker striding above David Davis, holding DDs severed head)

As part of the treaty, I'd like to see the see the English flag replaced. Get rid of the dated St Georges Cross and replace it with something that prominently features the European ring of stars.

As part of the treaty, I'd like to see the see the English flag replaced. Get rid of the dated St Georges Cross and replace it with something that prominently features the European ring of stars.

I think the 27 stars just go in a box top left. It shows who has defeated and subjugated us. But we could change the rest. Maybe have a competition amongst schoolchildren to design a fresh new look.

drawn-child-rainbow-2.jpg

Or to truly represent our interests, facebook or some internet cat pictures.

ad_153647674-e1417723554488.jpg

"Bored cat flying at half mast over Buckingham Palace as a mark of respect for the departed Queen."

It's the future!

Last edited:
Why is there so much anti-Britain on pfm
Lots of great people live & are proud to live in this country, a more tolerant society than many around the globe, yes we have problems but I rarely see such hatred for your country of birth from other nations, they seem proud of their heritage, I don't get it.

I can only put it down to forum grouping & a willingness to look cool, this makes sense to me as it goes on here on a daily basis on many threads..

If you love the EU so much & show so much disdain for the UK, why not bugger off to France or Germany.

There are lots of xenophobic people living there as well. I am shocked at the language some of the people I know and even some members of my family are now using. it seems like xenophobia has been legitimised and that is disgraceful, IMO.

Oh, I did bugger off, although it was before Brexit. I am ashamed of what my country has become if I am honest.

I suppose it depends on what parts of the UK you have lived, the people & areas you have had connections with, my experience in this country on the whole has been very positive.

It feels to me many have been suckered in by the press, as is usually the case on forums, very rarely do peope actually connect with issue first hand, it's easier to believe the hype I suppose.

Such as reports of the "far right" taking over the planet, it's utter rubbish & mainly down to a very tiny section of society, of course this isn't news worthy.

Think of it like the current snow storm to hit the Midlands, end of the world, panic buying, for what, a few days of cold weather & walking rather than driving, be gone by Thursday yet you would think the end was nigh.

I don't remember anyone saying that the far-right were taking over the planet. However, they are getting more influential and powerful, and that should be a big worry to anyone with a decent moral compass. You only have to see how it has taken hold in the US administration, not to mention all the other interconnected people and organisations, such as Cambridge Analytica. Breitbart, UKIP, Arron Banks Robert Mercer, Steve Bannon, Vladimir Putin etc are all part of this.

You say it is only a tiny section of society; well, there is only a small number of people in charge of the country. Some might argue that 10 DUP MPs are pulling most of the strings at the moment!

You seem to be playing down the influence of the far-right. This could be interpreted as acting as a far-right apologist. There is also a lack of joined-up thinking.

Such as reports of the "far right" taking over the planet, it's utter rubbish & mainly down to a very tiny section of society, of course this isn't news worthy.

Phew! That’s all right then. My French friends who told me Marine le Pen got to the final round of the election and received one-third of the votes must have been exaggerating.

I am ashamed of what my country has become if I am honest.

I remember vividly 1979 was when my pride in my country took a massive hit below the waterline. I’m afraid the sea has been flooding in ever since. I was planning on buggering off, but you-know-what has put those plans on hold, at least for the time being. Perhaps if I had made it public that Brexit would mean I’d be staying the vote might have gone differently. I can only apologize.

Lots of great people live & are proud to live in this country, a more tolerant society than many around the globe, yes we have problems but I rarely see such hatred for your country of birth from other nations, they seem proud of their heritage, I don't get it.

Mostly it is poking fun at the kind of idiots who think Britain is special, Britons are special and we deserve better than everyone else for no particular reason. The sort of idiots who were duped by the agents of the super rich into think brexit was about anything other than the rich getting more power. And who probably expect Dr Who, Sherlock Holmes, Churchill and the Spice Girls to show up at the last minute and win it for Britain. Brexit Christmas Special 2019. And yes, a rather disturbing number of jingoistic xenophobes, homophobes and sexist arseholes do seem to have surfaced with the support for what is essentially British, or more usually English, nationalism. Which is worrying.

I can only put it down to forum grouping & a willingness to look cool, this makes sense to me as it goes on here on a daily basis on many threads..

If you love the EU so much & show so much disdain for the UK, why not bugger off to France or Germany.
Britain First? BNP? EDL? UKIP? Just some of the c*nts that make EU membership a much more attractive prospect than post referendum dis-UK. If I was to leave, some of the aforementioned c*nts would like me to take lots of non-white people with me.

Lots of great people live & are proud to live in this country, a more tolerant society than many around the globe, yes we have problems but I rarely see such hatred for your country of birth from other nations, they seem proud of their heritage, I don't get it
2 aspects:
- the UK has just embarked on a big experiment called Brexit. Early indications are that the shipping line over-promised and the crew is struggling to find the destination let alone get there, so many passengers are understandably grumpy. It makes it harder to instil pride in the ship.

- I don’t see huge variations among European countries in terms of national pride. The proportion of “I like it here” versus “the grass seems greener on the other side” doesn’t change greatly. Perhaps if you were to live a few years in another country and mingle with the locals you would see that this is more a function of human nature and less something that’s unique to the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back