advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part XXII)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
....I can't wait for a hard Brexit.....

This thread reminds me of 'The Stockholm Syndrome'.

Oooo!, A good hard Brexit?, I bet you do, Sir!, suits you Sir!, Like being screwed by the French on leaving Sir?, suits you Sir!, getting stiffed by Korean exports Sir?, a good rogering on American trade deals Sir?, Ooo! suits you Sir!

Coincidence?

DPL1iu-W4AAivSf.jpg:large

And today we had Owen Paterson MP saying... Don't listen to the terrified Europeans. The Singapore model is our Brexit opportunity http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...europeans-singapore-model-brexit-opportunity/

That's Singapore as in... Statistics: Singapore’s income inequality among the worst in the world https://statestimesreview.com/2017/...come-inequality-among-the-worst-in-the-world/

Of course that is what they want. An unequal society means more wealth goes to those at the top. The Brexitiers are blatant about wanting this. Pure greed. As with Trump and his tax cuts for billionaires.

Like Chris Hedges said of the evolution of the Thatcher/Reagan age (of low tax for the rich and high debt for the rest): "The final years—Donald Trump—see the lunatic trolls, hedge fund parasites, con artists, conspiracy theorists and criminals drop all pretense and carry out an orgy of looting and corruption."

You have to admire the brazenness of the Barclays- from painting walls for a living, they've bitten their way to the top, hiding their hord of billions offshore to avoid British tax. Their mouthpieces, the DT and Spectator calling for a deregulated Britain where they and their clan can get even richer off the backs of those already in a zero hours, low wage economy. Brexit is the tool they're going to use. Trumpian in the scale of its ambition. Once you've got £7bn, how much more do you really need?

Coincidence?

Max I can now see what people are getting at - use of ill researched massive Memes like that doesn't really stand you in good stead. Why not quieten it down a little so that people take your message seriously?

As for your meme it's incorrect anyway AFAIK. The date for the legislation to be in place is January 1st 2019. The UK leaves at the end of March.

Exactly why HMG would think it was beneficial in keeping banks here purely for the purpose of laundering money (and therefore not generating revenue for the taxpayer) is beyond an outsider like me.

Thank you, Steve, for the 'cohesive', unexpected!

Not at all, credit where it's due. I may not agree but your points are reasoned and require thought to counter. If you were simply muttering "take back control, get our country back innit" like the idiots in Grimsby who voted out and now want an "exemption" because they have now realised that in a port with a lot of European trade it may be disastrous, I'd have a different view, but a reasoned argument is worth hearing.

So yes, cohesive. Misguided, possibly. Flawed, likewise. You may be wrong but you're not an idiot.;)

Exactly why HMG would think it was beneficial in keeping banks here purely for the purpose of laundering money (and therefore not generating revenue for the taxpayer) is beyond an outsider like me.
Because the money is extracted from other countries and the City takes a cut for processing, which then enters the UK economy

Because the money is extracted from other countries and the City takes a cut for processing, which then enters the UK economy

Does the City declare that and would that offset the losses in revenue that will be going to Germany and France?

Does the City declare that and would that offset the losses in revenue that will be going to Germany and France?
Estimates are that about 1/6 of corporation tax receipts come from the City, a chunk of which will be lost if banks move operations. Add to that personal tax from high paid employees and the effect could be very significant.

Less tax revenues, less public services.

Lurch has outlined falling growth year on year. Imagine the pressure he must have been under to underestimate the real hit and predict a pick up after a couple of years. The lying bastard!

Now, where's my mallet and that stake?

Estimates are that about 1/6 of corporation tax receipts come from the City, a chunk of which will be lost if banks move operations. Add to that personal tax from high paid employees and the effect could be very significant.

Less tax revenues, less public services.

Exactly. It makes no sense. Should the Tories see the UK as becoming some offshore haven for monies laundered through the EU, firstly the EU is tightening up on that prior to Brexit and secondly, it will make almost no one richer and shrink the public purse. Hence my response to David's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back