advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part XXII)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please be ready to receive your honorary doctorate in Solipsism from the University of Selfshire. Every Silver Lining has a little pearl of grudge in it.

Please don't be too hard on DV.
He's obviously anxious re: exposure to the U.K. property market.
Why on Earth do you think that? Maybe you see a house as money but for me its somewhere to live and a base from which to explore. After all I live rent free so no worries there and if there is any residual value after my wife and I have gone to that great gig in the sky and the tax man has taken a bite it'll go to the kids.

Cheers,

DV

I suspect we are on the verge of learning there will be no deal.

They could have asked this bloke (listen from about 10.30, he was bang on, "zero chance of deal within the two years"):

Politico reporting today...

DOvoS-AXUAI-hrf.jpg
I've been wondering for a while what Leverage the UK had that would persuade the EU to grant our banks special passporting rights, so they wouldn't need to relocate all those revenue generating activities to, er, the EU.

GOOD WEEK FOR:

The 1%: The richest percentile of the global population now owns more than half of the world’s household wealth, reports bank Credit Suisse.
Its Global Wealth Report also noted an extra 620,000 dollar millionaires in Germany, France, Italy and Spain due to the strength of the euro, and 34,000 fewer in Britain due to sterling’s relative weakness.

Source: Moneyweek 871

Why on Earth do you think that?

You seem rather stressed whenever the subject arises.

Maybe you see a house as money but for me its somewhere to live and a base from which to explore.

Yet you have occasionally mentioned the monetary aspects of your property on pfm.

I see a house as a combination of various things depending on the nature of ownership e.g. main residence, holiday home, blt, etc.
Which were you referring to?

Anyone else catch The Jeremy Vine Show about 2 days ago where they were discussing a new yougov survey result on the attitudes of Remainers V Brexiters to a wide variety of issues? It was entirely as any sensible remainer has been saying all along... surprise, surprise...

Brexiters were about twice to three times as likely to hold racist, xenophobic, homophobic and misogynist views apparently.... well I'll go to the top of our stairs! Really? Who would of thought it...

Good read if you want to hear what David Davis has been up to today (Twitter thread warning, if you don't):

"This evening in Germany, David Davis has demonstrated a frankly humiliating misunderstanding of even the basics of the EU.
A quick thread.
1/" https://twitter.com/ianjamesparsley/status/931259341965025281

Oh dear. Poor Mr Davis.

Meanwhile, Martin Wolf (who, if you saw the vid I posted earlier, has been spot on about Brexit because he's one of those clever expert types) has a dire warning today. And I mean, dire:

"British politics is close to meltdown. The country has embarked upon separating itself from the EU under a prime minister without authority and a government without unity. It would be good if the UK’s economy were healthy. Unfortunately, it suffers from deep weaknesses. Brexit is likely to reveal these more clearly.

This is not a vigorous and healthy economy well able to take the shock of substantially worse access to its most important markets. It is absurd to suggest otherwise. … Yet the Brexit shock, combined with the UK’s underlying weaknesses, is likely to make the disappointment for many still more severe.

The UK has embarked on a risky voyage in a leaky boat. Beware a shipwreck." https://www.ft.com/content/e09d1f88-c9fe-11e7-ab18-7a9fb7d6163e

Sounds like it's almost time to man the lifeboats.

Good read if you want to hear what David Davis has been up to today (Twitter thread warning, if you don't):

"This evening in Germany, David Davis has demonstrated a frankly humiliating misunderstanding of even the basics of the EU.
A quick thread.
1/" https://twitter.com/ianjamesparsley/status/931259341965025281

Oh dear. Poor Mr Davis.

Meanwhile, Martin Wolf (who, if you saw the vid I posted earlier, has been spot on about Brexit because he's one of those clever expert types) has a dire warning today. And I mean, dire:

"British politics is close to meltdown. The country has embarked upon separating itself from the EU under a prime minister without authority and a government without unity. It would be good if the UK’s economy were healthy. Unfortunately, it suffers from deep weaknesses. Brexit is likely to reveal these more clearly.

This is not a vigorous and healthy economy well able to take the shock of substantially worse access to its most important markets. It is absurd to suggest otherwise. … Yet the Brexit shock, combined with the UK’s underlying weaknesses, is likely to make the disappointment for many still more severe.

The UK has embarked on a risky voyage in a leaky boat. Beware a shipwreck." https://www.ft.com/content/e09d1f88-c9fe-11e7-ab18-7a9fb7d6163e

Sounds like it's almost time to man the lifeboats.
...but are there enough lifeboats on the SS Brexit for those of us in steerage?

DD is getting desperate now- requesting 'a deal like no other' and asking the Germans not to shoot themselves in the foot but instead to cave in to his requests for leniency. Unfortunately he forgot to rein in the Buffoon and other MPs who were telling the EU they could whistle for their money only a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
I like the bit where DD said that the EU 'should not put politics before prosperity'. Quite staggering hypocrisy.

The UK has become an absolute laughing stock. We will need to have it good and hard before the general public and political establishment wakes up to the disaster that will have unfolded.

I like the bit where DD said that the EU 'should not put politics before prosperity'. Quite staggering hypocrisy.

The UK has become an absolute laughing stock. We will need to have it good and hard before the general public and political establishment wakes up to the disaster that will have unfolded.

Not at all sure the wake up will result in regret and honesty. More xenophobia and a 'blame everyone else' diversion seems much more likely.

Not at all sure the wake up will result in regret and honesty. More xenophobia and a 'blame everyone else' diversion seems much more likely.

Or in other words, the far right will get even more influential.

Is there no end to this nightmare?

So it seems that finally Davis has realised that the EU “do put politics above prosperity.” Yes David we have been telling you that for a very long time.

Dodgy Davis thinks we can still do a deal. Hammond says we must pay what the EU want, Johnson says we must not http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5091365/Boris-vs-Cabinet-war-Brexit-bill.html.

And weak and wobbly May is in the middle of that.

Meanwhile, they've made no preparations for crashing out... "In its report, the Home Affairs Committee raises serious concerns about the Government’s contingency planning for post-Brexit customs operations and warns major border disruption could ensue unless urgent action is taken." http://www.parliament.uk/business/c...xit-customs-operation-report-published-17-19/

'The Mince' is continuing to make a fool of himself today:

France and Germany are blocking a Brexit deal, David Davis has suggested, as he listed five European Union countries that want to "move on".

The Exiting the EU secretary told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that Britain would not compromise on EU talks without Brussels giving ground, saying “nothing comes from nothing”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/17/france-germany-blocking-eu-deal-suggests-david-davis/

That is the funniest statement I have seen in quite a long time. Chapeau, DD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back