advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+2)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EU is preparing the treaty based upon phase 1, that means hard border between NI and rest of UK for no deal Brexit. Seems that can't be an option either, maybe no Brexit is easiest option, I don't know.

I think we'll crash out by default. It's too big and complex for our government (and they can't agree of anything realistic among themselves). Plus the time is too short (and they've wasted what little time they had).

May will make a speech next week. I would be very surprised if it wasn't mostly unrealistic platitudes. That is all they can come up with.

I did notice that Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung Mogg today assured us that Theresa May is unlikely to make a U-turn over the right of EU citizens who arrive in the UK after Brexit, but during the "transition period", to remain in the country permanently. Despite The Times reporting it as likely.

"I'd be astonished if Mrs May would make U-turn of that kind; she is a lady of great backbone and for her to kowtow to the European Union is, I think, unconscionable."

Utter chaos.

Speaking after an informal summit of EU27 leaders in Brussels, European Council Donald Tusk said Britain still did not understand that it could not 'have its cake and eat it', warning that the EU would push ahead with its own plans if the UK did not produce something substantial.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-trade-deal-donald-tusk-europe-a8225906.html

Chances that May will come up with the needed "something substantial" in next week's speech after yesterday's Chequers shambles? Well, I wouldn't put it at zero.

But I would put it at less than 1%. Quite a lot less.

It will be nonsense like: "As I said, let us have that deep and special relationship." May loves repeating herself. https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/966318888681181184

Cancelling Brexit would destroy the Conservative Party so I don't see any way out.

Well repeating a position the EU finds unacceptable might be good for UK. UK needs unity, create an enemy, warlike atmosphere and there will be more unity. The sanctions section EU prepared was first time all UK politicians agreed, that was progress. Somehow fake UK media reported EU will delete the sanction section, this obviously is an UK illusion. Sanctions will be discussed again when no deal is the outcome and UK doesn't honour phase 1, very good for UK unity.

Fear not. The crash out option will never get through Parliament, so there is that to look forward to.

Though Parliament voting against 'no deal' does not stop Brexit. Article 50 has been triggered and Parliament has no power to revoke it.

"What happens if Parliament votes “no” to “no deal”?
This is unclear. If Parliament were to vote “no” to “no deal”, that would bring to the fore legal and constitutional questions that so far have only been in the realm of speculation.
As with a “no” vote on an exit deal, it could only return the Government to the negotiating table if EU leaders were also willing, and there was time for more negotiations.
If either of these conditions did not pertain, there is no obvious answer to the question of what “no” vote to “no deal” would mean. That would depend on what constitutes a revocation of an Article 50 notice in UK law, and whether unilateral revocation is possible in EU law. Both of those questions are unanswered. It may not, therefore, be in Parliament’s gift to stop the UK leaving without a deal, even if it notionally had a vote on the issue." https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/parliament-and-brexit-deal

Well repeating a position the EU finds unacceptable might be good for UK. UK needs unity, create an enemy, warlike atmosphere and there will be more unity. The sanctions section EU prepared was first time all UK politicians agreed, that was progress. Somehow fake UK media reported EU will delete the sanction section, this obviously is an UK illusion. Sanctions will be discussed again when no deal is the outcome and UK doesn't honour phase 1, very good for UK unity.

It's not a Fergie team talk. A significant part of the UK is already embarrassed and more dithering that led to the EU losing patience would not necessarily unite the UK against them, far from it. Many already think they have been very patient considering it's clear that the UK has no clue or plan.

Funny thing about no transition will be UK keeps paying into EU budget anyway (phase1 agreement), so till end 2020 UK will pay contribution but won't be in single market or customs union or anything else. Some say UK farmers will keep recieving the EU subsidy till end 2020 then, but WTO doesn't agree with that amount/%, so that probably needs to be lowered or UK will face international WTO sanctions. Fun fun fun.

I did notice that Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung Mogg today assured us that Theresa May is unlikely to make a U-turn over the right of EU citizens who arrive in the UK after Brexit, but during the "transition period", to remain in the country permanently. Despite The Times reporting it as likely.

"I'd be astonished if Mrs May would make U-turn of that kind; she is a lady of great backbone and for her to kowtow to the European Union is, I think, unconscionable."

Utter chaos.
Reichsmunchkin Gove is to mobilise his personal anti-Romanian units to Lincolnshire in a lightning war on foreign turnip lifting. Andrea Leadsom has reinforced her cv at the news.

The EU has consistently said there is no cherry-picking of EU membership rights/obligations. After a year of David Davis and then the Chequers (appropriately named) war cabinet the UK's position seems to be that we will blackmail the EU into a trade deal that suits the UK or not pay our dues. Perhaps Perfidious Albion was always closer to the truth than we liked to admit.
More people could get hurt than we originally thought, and sooner.
Although if the EU gets very angry it could give Scotland a free pass to membership asap in retaliation...

The EU has consistently said there is no cherry-picking of EU membership rights/obligations...

Whilst the EU cynically cherry-picks away. No deal unless we get our money. Now, this deal....a trade deal in goods, where we the EU have a £90bn annual surplus with the UK? Mmmmm. This is possible. A deal in services, where you, the UK, has a surplus?

Non, Nein, Nada, NO!

Whilst the EU cynically cherry-picks away. No deal unless we get our money. Now, this deal....a trade deal in goods, where we the EU have a £90bn annual surplus with the UK? Mmmmm. This is possible. A deal in services, where you, the UK, has a surplus?

Non, Nein, Nada, NO!

Those god damned sneaky Europeans are up to their competent negotiating again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back