advertisement

Nytech Audio / Ion Systems Appreciation Thread

Simple answer is I dont know. I dont recall the 102 at all, but I do have a brain the size of a pea (and its getting smaller as the years march onward :) - I wonder if the later 101's with the round ARC tweeters became the 102's - Can you post up some pictures?

Ta da
My present 102s
DSCN5719.jpg

my old 101s
DSCN0450.jpg

my old 050s
ARC050.jpg

From Russ Andrews info page
He also started working for ARC developing loudspeakers, a relationship that lasted until the mid-eighties. Russ was involved in the ARC 101 then 102, 103, 050 and is particularly proud of his work on ARC 801 where he and Alistair Clarke (formerly of Mordant Short) designed and made the drive units themselves.

Interesting - Thanks for uploading the pics.

It looks like the 102 uses the 202's cast chassis base unit rather than the pressed steel unit used in the 101 and 050.

I remember Russ well! He used to scare the crap out of me driving his VW campervan round round roundabouts on 2 wheels :)

Trying to track down pair of 202s if anybody comes across a pair.,only speaker not owned,suspect not many made.
Of all the ARC range reckon the 050 in active mode give a very good bang for your buck,only losing out to the 102 in the lower frequencies.
All of the range gave a nice stereo image and detail at lower volume settings.
Ideal for smaller rooms or when you have neighbours either side of you.
Am using cheapo 67 strand type cable as some oddessy type stuff made the system sound "hard"

Hi NRWler04

Be careful with your choice of PSU caps (apart from the fact you said 63V caps for the PSU which with a 70V rail is probably unwise :)

If you do put in a couple of 10000ufs then the switch on surge would probably blow the 5A secondary supply fuse, You may also need to uprate the 1N5404 rectifiers as well or the surge could pop them as well. If you want to upgrade the PSU with 2x10000uF then use 100V rated caps, a 6.3AT fuse and 10A Rectifier diodes. Any higher fuse rating would probably take out the PCB track.

Proceed with care!

100V 10000µF's are difficult to get. What about 10.000µF 80V Nichicon KG Cap's ?

Gent's

it's running again.

Preamp Nytech CP112 with electronic Crossover from CXA252 and two CPA 602's to fire my ARC050 ....

They still make a wonderful noise :)

How can I post a picture?

anyone any idea who made the 2501 tweeter (the round one) in 050 and 101 and whether there might be a drop in replacement for same? thinking that with age don't tweeters go off, loose fluid? Also feel fairly certain that something a wee bit more sophisticated could be found that would fit physically and electronically?

My first system was a CP112/CPA602, Rega Planar 3, Mission 707 speakers. The power amp ignited when the banana socket went brittle and output grounded. The pre amp still worked last I checked.

Later on I picked up an Ion obelisk because it looked nice, at the time I had no idea they were related.

The ARC 101 review mentioned by oldgit is from one of the old Hi-Fi Choice Review books, presumably in this case a book of loudspeaker reviews from around 1981. I recognise the general layout and have one or two of them (but not this one) stashed away.

anyone any idea who made the 2501 tweeter (the round one) in 050 and 101 and whether there might be a drop in replacement for same? thinking that with age don't tweeters go off, loose fluid? Also feel fairly certain that something a wee bit more sophisticated could be found that would fit physically and electronically?
The 2501 tweeters were assembled from externally sourced components at ARC as far as I can remember - Dont know of a drop in replacement.

They're not ferrofluid or anything like that and the magnets seem to hold their own. They do however have an annoying habit of rusting internally (as do the base units) and start to rub against the voice coils so any kept in attics or garages all these years should be thoroughly checked out before use.

Another tip we picked up at the time was never to reverse phase the tweeter in an active system (Red to black and black to red). If you need out of phase operation between woofer and tweeter then reverse the woofer. This is because the switch on thump on a reverse phased tweeter forces the dome inward and the voice coil tails short against the tweeter metalwork. With the CPA 602 you used to get a loud screech as the protection circuit cut in to protect the amp against the short.

I've also aquired a Nytech oblisk which has had a major fire in its output stage - Looks like it has darlington output transistors (yuk) as the drivers transistors are wire links.

Looks original but its after my time at Nytech so I dont know wether it was bad design, penny pinching, or a bodge! - Anyone know for sure? I'm going to try and get it working again with discrete drivers and conventional O/P transistors.

Hoping to post up the CPA 602 circuit this week

100V 10000µF's are difficult to get. What about 10.000µF 80V Nichicon KG Cap's ?
DC output was supposed to be 75V so in theory 80v Caps would be OK - However my working CPA602 is giving out 82V DC with our mains input at 230V so it might be a bit too close for comfort.

Have you managed to get the old C's off the board? I cant shift them at all and if I use any more heat then the board is going to fall to pieces.

I was seriously considering the idea of a new board with dual supplies (would need a new transformer) - it would mean you could use smaller 4700uF 100V caps which are easier to get hold of and should be a worthwhile upgrade as it would reduce the crosstalk between channels.

Anyone else interested in this idea? - If I do go down this route I'll post the PCB artwork

DC output was supposed to be 75V so in theory 80v Caps would be OK - However my working CPA602 is giving out 82V DC with our mains input at 230V so it might be a bit too close for comfort.

Have you managed to get the old C's off the board? I cant shift them at all and if I use any more heat then the board is going to fall to pieces.

I was seriously considering the idea of a new board with dual supplies (would need a new transformer) - it would mean you could use smaller 4700uF 100V caps which are easier to get hold of and should be a worthwhile upgrade as it would reduce the crosstalk between channels.

Anyone else interested in this idea? - If I do go down this route I'll post the PCB artwork

Yes, this is an idea we are also discussing. To design a new board for the PSU ... If you like, we can discuss our ideas and We are interested in the PCB-Artwork.

Regards from Germany

Here's a better picture of the capacitor multiplier daughter boards on a late model 252 that might be of interest:

etc.

I saw a picture of a CPA602 with the same capacitor multiplier daughter boards. Can somebody explain me what will be the effect and whether it makes sense to implement them if they are not available? In none of my CPA's they are in ...

If memory serves me right ARC used a Peerless tweeter

Richard

... heres the original spec for the 050 electronic crossover for the EXO/CXA

This is for the 050 with the ARC recessed dome tweeter (Stick on arc logo)

There were a very few with Scanspeak tweeters - VERY rare

Xover freq 3Khz

HF 1dB down on LF (LF pot at max - HF pot about a 10th backed off)

HF out of phase with LF (Set by little wire link on board

If anyones interested I have the circuit for the 2 way Crossover card

I would be interested in the circuit for the 2 way Crossover Card ... I'll send you a PM with my mail.

There is a pair of 050 on ebay at the moment,but if you look carefully the tweeter domes have been pushed in.

advertisement

Back