advertisement

Nytech Audio / Ion Systems Appreciation Thread

Hi Dave - Nice to here from you after all of these years

Hows the beetle :)

(For those who want to know what I'm on about. Dave used to give me a lift to Chew magna in an extremely noisy and unconfortable white VW beetle)

Thanks Nytecholdie,

yes, this is very helpful. The curcuit from the CA252 is available somewhere in the www. I already have it. We'll start on Sonday with the first CPA602. First we have to bring it back to life again ... then we'll do the recapping.

First I'll test Panasonic cap's and the final "big ones" will be 63V 4700µF (F&T or Roederstein Gold) or I have also 63V 6800 µF (F&T) or 63V 2200 µF Roederstein Gold ..... Another possibility is to recap it with Elna's cap's.

We also want to improve the PSU area with new Slit Foil cap's (63V 10000 µF) ....

Maybe there are some other tips to improve the power supply.

I will post some pics about the progress.

Regards from Germany
Hi NRWler04

Be careful with your choice of PSU caps (apart from the fact you said 63V caps for the PSU which with a 70V rail is probably unwise :)

If you do put in a couple of 10000ufs then the switch on surge would probably blow the 5A secondary supply fuse, You may also need to uprate the 1N5404 rectifiers as well or the surge could pop them as well. If you want to upgrade the PSU with 2x10000uF then use 100V rated caps, a 6.3AT fuse and 10A Rectifier diodes. Any higher fuse rating would probably take out the PCB track.

Proceed with care!

Hi Nytecholdie,

Thanks for your tips. Actually wecare thinking about to replace the curcuit board in the CPA602's by modern PSU boards. This seems to be easy for the CP602. Looks much more difficult for the CXA 252 which I want to use as the electronic XO in my future setup.

Maybe we can contact you to discuss some ideas. My fried who is doing the overhaull worked for Burmester in the 80ties ....

Your help is appreciated :)

Regards from Germany

Ingo

I hope it was more comfortable than the bus.

Sorry but i do not remember your name.

I can confirm that it was a most luxurious and comfortable piece of cheap crap. it was reliable though even in winter

David

Hi NRWler04

Be careful with your choice of PSU caps (apart from the fact you said 63V caps for the PSU which with a 70V rail is probably unwise :)

If you do put in a couple of 10000ufs then the switch on surge would probably blow the 5A secondary supply fuse, You may also need to uprate the 1N5404 rectifiers as well or the surge could pop them as well. If you want to upgrade the PSU with 2x10000uF then use 100V rated caps, a 6.3AT fuse and 10A Rectifier diodes. Any higher fuse rating would probably take out the PCB track.

Proceed with care!

I saw it today ... There are 100V Caps in ....you are rigth.

So we did the first steps today. In the 602 we replaced cap #03 to #05 with Elnas Silmic II and #12 with ROE Gold 4700uF 63V. Actually I'm hearing Elvis is back from my LP12. Not bad so far ...... ;-)

I've tired of waiting for a cheapish, working CPA602, having managed to get hold of one a few years ago that refused to sing :(.

Can anybody suggest another power amp that would be suitable for doing the job of beefing up my treasured CTA252XD II?

I mix and match pre and power amps. I like remote control small boxes (cyrus) and Naim amplifiers so try a Naim 110. Be careful with any connections as a standard 110 has 24 volts running up it's cable. The quad 303 has capacitor connections like the Nytech, and again watch the connections.

The amplifiers live again...http://www.heedaudio.hu/en/products/obelisk-line

I've tired of waiting for a cheapish, working CPA602, having managed to get hold of one a few years ago that refused to sing :(.

Can anybody suggest another power amp that would be suitable for doing the job of beefing up my treasured CTA252XD II?

Actually I have three of them ...

;-)

I need only two ...

Maybe One is available in a few weeks .... Recapped with Panasonic or Elna ....

Regards

""Can anybody suggest another power amp that would be suitable for doing the job of beefing up my treasured CTA252XD II "

IMHO.Find a CXA and track down a pair of active speakers,050 or 101.
Use with your existing CTA,sound will be transformed.
You really need to hear passive and active alongside each other to appreciate the instant and obvious improvement .
Passive simply will not reveal the detail and image that is merely waiting to be revealed.
Make full use of that 25W you already have rather than just more thud in the bass dept and 50W really wont give you that much more anyway .

Thanks for your replies. Some interesting suggestions.

Although I happen to like the "thud in the bass dept..." ;), I will give the active suggestion some thought. If you're right, why was the power amp included in the original active set-up, if I remember correctly?

There is also the question of whether the speakers are any more easy to find in good condition than the amp...:confused:

This has just appeared on ebay a CSU 1,had no idea it even existed.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=261005804657

The tuner also up for sale there....i've never seen this before. I only remember the receiver & tuner/pre.

Still have a CA252 which is still going (still use it to listen to headphones in the bedroom!!).
I also have a CPA602 with one channel down (look forward to getting hold of a copy of the schematic!).
Plus a CTP102 which was in use with the CPA602 until it's demise though the tuner section had stopped working (if anyone else has any tips on cause would be very helpful!).
Still have some some ARC050 (but missing original x-over bricks) used with homebrew x-over.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
"If you're right, why was the power amp included in the original active set-up, if I remember correctly"

CPA 602 is a 2 channel passive PA designed to used with CP pre amp.

Not compatable with any active CA/CTA/CXA 25W system. ?

You would have needed a Preamp with Xover plus 2 x 602 to make it work.AFAIAA the active boards were only ever built into the units with the 25W amp.

Nytech made the EXO102/103 Electronic crossover to use with the preamps and CPA602s if you wanted a more powerful active system.
The EXO102/3 used the same plugin crossover board as the CXA252 for a 2 way system (EXO102 - 2 CPA602a - 1 driving HF and LF for each speaker)
and had an extra card for the midrange for a 3 way system (EXO103) where 1 CPA602 drove MF/LF for each speaker with a third driving the 2 HF units.

The CXA 252 was an "Activator" for the CTA or CA 252 and offered a 1 box upgrade to anyone owning one of the above. The CTA/CA power amps drove 1 speaker and the extra amps in the CXA drove the other.

Main active speaker partners at the time were

ARC 050/101/202 (2 way)
Linn Kan and Sara (2 way) and Isobarik PMS (3 way)
Spendor BC1 (2 way I think - Long time ago :)

The active upgrade produced far more of a quality improvement than adding a more powerful passive power amp - Why dosnt everyone do it these days? - You need companies to co-operate with each other (in this case speaker and amplifier) rather than try to put them out of business which seems to be the main aim these days

Ntom - Whats the issue with your CTP102? I still have mine working (just) and may be able to help out if you can say exactly what it is or isnt doing.

The CTP102 for those interested was a CTA252 XD2 without the power amps

Nytech made the EXO102/103 Electronic crossover to use with the preamps and CPA602s if you wanted a more powerful active system.
The EXO102/3 used the same plugin crossover board as the CXA252 for a 2 way system (EXO102 - 2 CPA602a - 1 driving HF and LF for each speaker)
and had an extra card for the midrange for a 3 way system (EXO103) where 1 CPA602 drove MF/LF for each speaker with a third driving the 2 HF units.

The CXA 252 was an "Activator" for the CTA or CA 252 and offered a 1 box upgrade to anyone owning one of the above. The CTA/CA power amps drove 1 speaker and the extra amps in the CXA drove the other.

ARC 050/101/202 (2 way)
Linn Kan and Sara (2 way) and Isobarik PMS (3 way)
Spendor BC1 (2 way I think - Long time ago :)

The active upgrade produced far more of a quality improvement than adding a more powerful passive power amp - Why dosnt everyone do it these days? - You need companies to co-operate with each other (in this case speaker and amplifier) rather than try to put them out of business which seems to be the main aim these days

Ntom - Whats the issue with your CTP102? I still have mine working (just) and may be able to help out if you can say exactly what it is or isnt doing.

The CTP102 for those interested was a CTA252 XD2 without the power amps

That's a real worthfull information. Then I'm on the right way ....

I'll use the crossover out of the CXA252 to serve two CPA602's to fire my ARC050. The Preamp is the CP112.

Thanks Mr. Nytech:)

ARC 050/101/202 (2 way)

Just out of interest where on earth does my pair of ARC 102 speakers come in the scheme of things ??

Simple answer is I dont know. I dont recall the 102 at all, but I do have a brain the size of a pea (and its getting smaller as the years march onward :) - I wonder if the later 101's with the round ARC tweeters became the 102's - Can you post up some pictures?

I bought my 101s direct from the factory when they closed down. They wore rectangular tweeters.

advertisement

Back