advertisement

Nytech Audio / Ion Systems Appreciation Thread

The 's' models had a regulated supply for the VAS ....

And the "Thumb Reduction Circuit" .....

As far as I understood:cool:

Anything more?

The 's' models had a regulated supply for the VAS ....

And the "Thumb Reduction Circuit" .....

As far as I understood:cool:

Anything more?

Now you have got me confused. I don't know what a VAS or a 'thumb reduction circuit' is!

Switch on thump reduction perhaps?

Would like to be able to see some images of the differences, I thought all the models had discrete regulation... Perhaps I'll need to look out for one!

Switch on thump reduction perhaps?

Would like to be able to see some images of the differences, I thought all the models had discrete regulation... Perhaps I'll need to look out for one!

I know that externally the 'S' does not have a pre/power socket but it does have a headphone output (with speaker outputs allowing the speakers to be muted). Oh, and it doesn't cause a thump when switched on either!

I presume there must be more differences under the bonnet as I guess the price premium of the 'S' suggests it sounded better.

Ah, that's interesting. Mine doesn't have the pre/power outs but I thought that might've become an option on later models. Doesn't have a switch off bump either.

I wasn't aware of the price difference, do you know what it was? I had begun to think the difference might have been similar to Naim's NAC72N, NAC72S etc, i.e. just the phono input designation.

Would like to see internal photos to be sure though.

I think the pre/power options were on the earlier models and seemed to disappear on the newer ones. Headphone sockets appeared on later models - even down to the CA202 I think.

According to a hifi mag from November 1984:

CA202, £148, 25wpc
CA252, £193, 30wpc
CA252S, £230, 35wpc

Then we have a fair bit of change in November 1986 (the next mag I have) to:

CA102 Obelisk, £115, 30wpc
CA202E, £175, 30wpc
CA302, £250, 35wpc

The CA252 seems to have disappeared completely (presumably to be replaced by the CA302?). I am also intrigued by the 'E' designation on the CA202 - what does that mean?

I don't have any internal pics of the CA252S unfortunately. I don't think the difference with the CA252 is to do with phono input designation though.

Good info, thanks Pinky, nice to see some dates as well as the prices. As the WPC is different it's definitely not phono differences!

Nice to see the finished PCB

Well done!

Hopefully there will be a difference in the sound :cool:

I'm still looking for a solution with the piggy back tranny ....

I'll go now with 75V vor the VAS ....

Thanks to you;):)

Did you see the routed PCB's for the Amps?

Ingo

Hopefully there will be a difference in the sound :cool:

I'm still looking for a solution with the piggy back tranny ....

I'll go now with 75V vor the VAS ....

Thanks to you;):)

Did you see the routed PCB's for the Amps?

Ingo

After some hours of listening, also with 50% of my 602's I can say, that the Dual Rail Supply with the new Toroid is a big big improvement.

Why we can't find this concept in the new Heed Amps? I'm noesy to hear my 602's-Clones with one Toroid for each Chanel,and the new PSU .... and then with the electronic crossover.

Must be wonderfull.

Maybe I should talk to Mr. Huschty and Mr. Hay ....

Is anyone interested in the concept of a replacement "pot board" for the CTA 252/XD/XDII and CTP102

I've been looking woefully at my CTP102 with its dead volume pot and dodgy tuning pots for some time now and thinking there must be a better way to do this (most of these pots were specially made for Nytech and are unobtainable these days)

The audio sliders arnt a major problem with a new board but the tuner bits are.

I was thinking about changing the whole tuning section for a microcontroller with D to A converter and using that to drive the tuning voltage.

If anyones interested then it would give me the kick up the butt I need to fix it and then publish the board layouts on the forum

Anyone interested?

Hi Lohk

Glad to do so once I've figured out how to do it :) (They're PDF docs rather then images - and I dont fancy using any of the file sharing sites out there)

If you're happy to PM me with an e-mail address I can send them as attachments

Got the drawing from Ingo/NRWler04 already - thanks for the effort. A few details are missing, which are located on the motherboard (HF output stage and power supply, and a few resistors whose reasons to be in the circuit I cannot figure out ...). I do not have the motherboard here, and can only refer to images, which can be missleading.
Can you also confirm the supply voltage of 20V?

I imagine a modification ala ION by substituting the emitter resistors of the output stages (R207, R213) with ccs (the ION schematic could be used without changes, I think).

Got the drawing from Ingo/NRWler04 already - thanks for the effort. A few details are missing, which are located on the motherboard (HF output stage and power supply, and a few resistors whose reasons to be in the circuit I cannot figure out ...). I do not have the motherboard here, and can only refer to images, which can be missleading.

And the Images are from the Motherboard of a CXA252. (The CXA252 which I bought from Steve67 here Out of The forum early this Year)

advertisement

Back