1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

NVA passive pre

Discussion in 'Interesting eBay auctions' started by lawrence001, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawrence001

lawrence001 pfm Member

2. packtech

packtech Ex band member twice.. :)

Looks like an NVA Pre using an old powered board re jigged to be passive. The power components are therefore redundant.. is my guess..or a dual purpose board used as passive..

3. S_J

S_J pfm Member

I've seen this circuit board before - this is the same PCB and parts that are used in the NVA Phono 2 phono stage. In the Phono 2 there's power supplied to the regs via some dual-rail raw DC PSU, and sockets for phono in and out. The Phono 2 makes no use of the passive preamp tracks though. This passive pre could have the phono stage activated quite easily with a suitable un-regulated PSU.

The phono circuit is a bit crude but it's possible to improve on it quite considerably by using better regulators, op-amps and capacitors.

4. lawrence001

lawrence001 pfm Member

Interestingly the disc inputs do not go straight to the selector like the others and it has some extra holes in the back might be an easy job to convert (or convert back?)

5. S_J

S_J pfm Member

Yes, it would be pretty easy to convert. If you buy it I can email you a few pics of the Phono 2 that might be helpful.

6. toprepairman

toprepairman Trade: HiFi repairs and servicing.

Usual rubbish NVA build quality, with everything held together with glue.

7. lawrence001

lawrence001 pfm Member

Thanks for the offer SJ I'm probably going to leave it myself as I have enough gear to be getting in with for now.

Re the glue I understand the maker maintains that this reduces electromagnetic eddy currents or something.

8. jy3

jy3 pfm Member

This doesn't look like a cared for pre and I've seen many so called well built pieces in a worse state than this. My NVA AP10 looks and feels well put together and sounds fantastic.

9. toprepairman

Good to hear your AP10 works well for you.
    I had an NVA 'The Definitive Statement' amp in for repair a while back, it was supposed to be the finest bit of kit ever. The output transistors were araldited to the chassis, no insulation or anything. No wonder it blew up!

10. Rana

Rana pfm Member

Not quite a TDS but a TSS. I was going to bid on this, but don't think I will now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302123743474?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

11. lawrence001

lawrence001 pfm Member

What was that NVA amp that caused quite a stir in the classifieds recently as the maker said it wasn't supposed to be sold on but it was and he wouldn't service or repair it? I think it was a prototype statement , not sure if it was the one now on the bay?

12. toprepairman

Yes that TSS will have a lot more wrong with it than just the resistors.

13. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I thought that, big ceramic resistors don't just blow... The kind of heat generated in a glued together plastic chassis could be disaterous.

14. James46

James46 The Crystal Method

That amp has avoid written all over it. Money pit.

15. jy3

jy3 pfm Member

This amp was a prototype sold cheaply to someone on the premise it would never be sold on. It is now beyond repair especially since to many people have tried and not known what they are doing. This thread will tell you all about it, so if this was the amp you had in for repair toprepairman your comments are null and void. It should be avoided at all costs, and the person selling it now appears to be trying to make a profit since he has only just purchased it on AOS. http://****************.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=47313&hilit=tss+power+amp

16. jy3

jy3 pfm Member

17. jy3

jy3 pfm Member

Obviously cannot link to **************** on pfm?

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

No, it is IMHO a personal vendetta blog full of bare-faced lies and bigotry. As such it falls well foul of the 'audio community' clause of the pfm AUP. Also Richard Dunn is banned fron this site (and most others for similar reasons) so has no right of reply here.

19. toprepairman

I havn't been able to access the link so cannot say if this was the one I had in.
    Either way I was able to completely repair the amp successfully.

20. jamie123

jamie123 pfm Member

yes this amp is the one,avoid it!
    its been repaired a few times by various people,you can read all about it on the forum that i cant link to on here, the thread is called, NVA TSS prototype on EBay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.