advertisement

Non AIS lense on a D50

garyi

leave blank
What is the deal with that? I was speaking to a guy regarding one and he said that without the AIS then the D50 was getting no information.

My understanding was I have to manually focus AIS lenses, I have to set aperture and shutter speed myself, and ISO and White balance.

So what else would the D50 be looking at, why can't pre AIS lenses be used?

garyi said:
What is the deal with that? I was speaking to a guy regarding one and he said that without the AIS then the D50 was getting no information.

My understanding was I have to manually focus AIS lenses, I have to set aperture and shutter speed myself, and ISO and White balance.

So what else would the D50 be looking at, why can't pre AIS lenses be used?

Garyi,

You're right. Program mode and shutter priority won't work on your D 50.
Time to buy a decent lightmeter ?!

Rob.
PS congrats on your newborn.

Gary,

You can physically mount E-series, AI and AI-S lenses on your D50. If you do, you'll be running in full manual mode, since these lenses can't communicate electronically with your D50, but such lenses can be mounted on your camera.

Non-AI lenses, lenses made before 1977, can't be mounted on your camera without damaging it. Don't even try.

It's all explained in this table --

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/compatibility.html

Joe

P.S. Some pix here --

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/nikonfmount/aiais.htm

Gary,

I think you'll find a 400mm manual focus lens hard to focus on your D50, but if it just an el cheapo lens you've picked on on eBay to play around with, have some fun. Given the 1.5x multiplier of the sensor, the 400mm will have an angle of view equal to a 600mm, which is perfect for small bird photography.

Joe

Joe Petrik said:
Given the 1.5x multiplier of the sensor, the 400mm will have an angle of view equal to a 600mm, which is perfect for small bird photography.

<must .. resist ... urge... to ...post ... rude ....Billie Piper comment ....>

Joe it will only ever be used from the front door, I was thinking tripod, USB lead, iBook and Nikon Capture.

I know, but what choice do you have -- an expensive D-SLR with a good finder is a lot more money than a third-party focusing screen in a D50 or D70.

Joe

My OM-2's got a weird focusing screen - clear in the middle circle no what the focus, so you can only focus OFF centre. Bizarre. Still, at least you can see though it.

I wonder if increasing the magnification of the D50's viewfinder mightn't be more use than a better screen though.

Gary - another great widget for the D50 is the ML-L3 remote. Stick the camera on a tripod in a corner of the room pre-focused (keep it on manual focus or it gets anxious) and you can get some great entire iFamily shots. Or stick in the middle of the lawn to get remote bird shots from your desk if you prefer.

Gaybat,

I wonder if increasing the magnification of the D50's viewfinder mightn't be more use than a better screen though.
The eyepiece magnifier helps, but a good focusing screen is important, too.

Incidentally, I got the dedicated eyepiece magnifier (DK-17M) for my camera and thought it was well worth the $50. This is more or less what you see through the finder with one (before and after) --

DK-17M-2.jpg

The image is obviously larger with the magnifier, but it is harder to see the other viewfinder info -- shutter speed, f-stop, ISO setting, and so on. A fair trade-off in my opinion since I usually set all that before I put the camera up to my eye.

Joe

That's a whole load better. Is that on a D70 or D100? And does it keep the screen evenly lit or does it vignette at all? The magnifyer seems sort of round in a pic.

Guy the Gaybat.

Joe -- It looks you have gone mentalist and started keeping your telephone in the microwave.

The non-AIS lenses won't meter with a Nikon D50. I don't even think that an AIS lens will meter either (haven't checked so can't confirm). But I'm fairly sure that the focus indicator points in the viewfinder will light up when the subject is in focus. Again, I haven't tried this with my AIS & non-AIS lenses, but my it works on my Lensbaby so I don't see why it wouldn't work with a 'real' lens. But hey - it's digital, so your not wasting any film if the pictures are under/over exposed.

Regarding the viewfinder magnifier from Pixmania - great product, but I wouldn't buy it from there. Nothing but trouble in my experience.

And if you want a cheap ML-L3, you could always buy a universal IR remote control from your local pound store. They work, but can be a bit of a pain to program.

Sean

Guybat -- The magnifier is on a D2H.

I bought a D2H early last year after Nikon dropped the price by $1200 US and discontinued it for the D2Hs. The body and ergonomics are great but the sensor, unfortunately, is so-so. I'd love to have a D200 or D2X, but I've decided to be the forum's anti-Gary -- being content with what I have rather than perpetually looking for the next great thing to come along.

Matthew -- It's my superhero phone, so I have to keep it out of sight of crooks, who may inadvertently wander into Petrik Manor.

Joe

I already knew that AIS and AI lenses need to be used in manual, you have to account for everything.

I was just wondering about pre, it turns out ala Joes links that it will physically damage the mounts.

I had no idea there was such a market for D50 stuffs.

I did see a rather nifty screen cover for the D50 it fits over the eye piece and gives you a flip up sun protector for the screen, but all these bits and bobs are very expensive.

How does one go about attaching that traditional view finder screen, and it says the original remains in place, won't it look a bit of a mess through the eye piece with all that stuff?

Gary,
How does one go about attaching that traditional view finder screen, and it says the original remains in place, won't it look a bit of a mess through the eye piece with all that stuff?
The new screen replaces the original one.

Joe

advertisement

Back