advertisement

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

Hate to say it but the ls3/5a has to be close to the top. Having been married to two sets of them over many years I was aware of their faults but love them anyway.

.... the list is a difficult one to be sure...

for example, lets take a classic compression driver - such as a Vitavox S2, or an S3 for that matter. Alternatively, an Altec 288.

Such drive units were used in speakers like the Altec VOTT - an all time classic speaker by anyone's measure.

However - Altec (for example) drive units - now gratefully still made by Great Plains Audio - I would say they lose out a little to the best drive units made by JBL and TAD.

That is, lose out both by my personal preference, but also their power handling, and frequency response.

.. do we therefore dismiss the VOTT (for example) - and instead have in the list a modern alternative - like the Meyer X10?

There are 2 ways to go with a list like this .. the ''classic car rally'' - beautiful old Jags etc, or the ''modern supercar'' list.. lambo's and such.

There's a world of difference between an all time classic with ''great drive units for the day'' - and, alternatively, saying those drive units beat anything made today (rhubarb :D )

NB,
I've kept my examples around horn speakers, but the same comparison can be made with near field monitors, mid-sized floorstanders etc.

From what I've heard myself:

Active Naim DBL's

Beveridge 2SW would have made it if the original sub's hadn't been so lousy.

JohanR

For domestic use

Snell A/IIIi
Beveridge System 2
Vitavox System 191
Avant Gard Trio with basshorns

My nomination is the Royd A7. Simply because it is making music. Pity that John Akroyd stopped.
Second: Royd Minstrel SE
Third: Rega Ela Mk1

My nomination is the Royd A7. Simply because it is making music. Pity that John Akroyd stopped.
Second: Royd Minstrel SE
Third: Rega Ela Mk1

I'm a big fan of Joe Ackroyd's as well. I don't really think we can begrudge him the relatively short retirement he had before he passed away though can we?

Here's mine:
1. ARS Acoustica Celera(it's a pity Mr Irvinberg doens't make more loudspeakers)
2. Royd Envoy
3. Royd Minstrel
4. Royd A7

So I'm also a big fan of Joe Ackroyd's!
Regards

I nominate KEF 104/2 reference series best speaker for long term fatigue free listening to Classical Music knocks the socks off B& W

Can I Nominate the Martin Logan CLSII's - way better then any ESL from Quad...

In every hi-fi aspect I can identify I agree with you ... but I would rather own a Quad 63 ... but maybe pure magic isn't strictly a hi-fi attribute. I also much prefer the appearance of the Quad.

Nic P

Fun thread. Between 10 and 15 years ago (I think) I decided I was fed up with the continuous urge to upgrade and, having come into some money, decided to buy the best speakers I could find. I spent about 2 years listening to everything I could.
At that time I was using Apogee Divas with the DAX active crossover. These had replaced Sonus Faber Extremas, which had replaced Yamaha NS1000Ms (which I still have).
I had expected the Wilson WAMM to be the winner (Google images they are insane).
At the dealer where I heard the WAMMs they had Goldmund speakers, which I had never heard before. I much preferred them, much better timbal accuracy. The current models were about to be replaced, so I waited to audition their replacement. I also listened to the big Focals, Wilson Watt/Puppy and Grand Slamm. B&W Nautilus (these I wanted to be the best they have such beautiful styling). In the end it was between the Nautilus and Goldmund Epilog 1, which is beautifully made but nowhere near as impressive to look at. Anyway I bought the Epilog 1s, and added Epilog 2s for the extra 3/4 octave later. They have the most inert cabinet I have come across and controlled directivity so the acoustics of the listening room are not too much added to the sound (the only real problem of the Divas)
Maybe there are better speakers out there today - the latest Magicos look similarly inert of cabinet with more up to date drivers - but I have yet to hear better.
Anyway, I nominate the Goldmund Epilog 1&2.
I second the Apogees.
I second the Sonus Faber Extrema.

advertisement

Back