advertisement

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

Yamaha NS1000, they can do what no other speaker I've heard can do - make singers seem real and alive.

Also the ESL 57 and Linn Kan which I have owned and really enjoyed.

I'm guessing 22 out of the 25 loudspeakers will be UK designs and 20 of those 22 will have been discontinued more than 10 years ago, too small to deliver any realistic bass and practically unheard of by anyone other than a middle-aged former reader of 1980s British hi-fi magazines.

So I nominate the Infinity IRS V. If you want a new loudspeaker, the Avantgarde Trios. If you want a new British speaker, probably the B&W 600 diamond, but only if they get some bass reinforcement.

The rest are toys. You know, for kids.

Great post....evereyone needs to listen to dual 15" with horn hi-end before making any lists. Think Westlake or similar.

1. Apogees (Stage, Mini Grand, Diva, Scintilla). Just astonishing. Quad owners would cry. Not worth the hassle these days.

2. Rehdekos. The bigger the better. Sublime and ridiculous. The best tweeter ever made and aperiodic loading. French.

3. Tannoy DCs. Alnico magnet models of any size in an appropriately sized IB or BR or other cabinet. Shifts air, communicates the intent, immediate.

Honorable mention to most of the British FE speakers which are variously limited but great fun.

I cannot believe someone nominated B&W 600 series speakers.

J

ATC PA-65

Not technically hifi, but the best PA speaker ever, and a damn good hifi speaker too :)

You seriously don't believe this? They are about 15dB down on what proper PA speakers are asked to deliver from that sized enclosure. I don't know many sound engineers that would want to be loading these off the lorry for a proper live gig. Maybe a quiet Jazz gig or something. Bet they sound sweet at home though :)

Never seen or (heard) most speakers mentioned so far...............

top 3 that i have actually listened to:-

B&W 802D's
Totem Arrows
my own Totem Forest's..........

dennis

2. Rehdekos. The bigger the better. Sublime and ridiculous. The best tweeter ever made and aperiodic loading. French.

1pa1qq.jpg

Wharfedale Diamonds, probably brought more fun to more people over the last 30 years than most of the stuff mentioned so far.

1 Sonus Faber Extreme
2 AVI ADM9
3 Shahinian Arc

I am however currently using Kan mk1 whilst I size up my next move. I am in no hurry to replace them.

Sonus Faber Minima
Sonus Faber Concerto
Sonus Faber Guarneri
My own improved LS3/5a homemade speakers

In no particular order

Linn Kan mk1
Naim IBL
Quad electrostatics (have not compared them side by side to know which one)

even though I am a bass player I like speakers without much of the stuff...?

I nominate Electro Voice Patricians.

20hz to 20khz +/- 2dbs. 103 db/2.83v/1m efficiency. Nominal 16 ohm impedance. Power handling of 50 watts continuous, 150 watts pulsed. Easy conversion from passive amplification to active bi tri or quad amping via jumpers at the rear of the speakers. Level controls on rear panel for adjusting the relative volume of each drive unit to suit positioning, the room and personal preference. Lightweight 30” bass drivers in an airtight enclosure with a throated mouth in a corner horn arrangement.

advertisement

Back