advertisement

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

Of what I've owned:

Snell Type A2
Quad ESL 57
Quad ESL 63
LS3/5A
Spica TC50/Angelus

Of what I've heard:

JBL Hartsfield
Acoustat 2+2
Sonus Faber Extrema
Proac Response 1

I think you realise you have one of the finest loudspeakers on the planet when you have absolutely no desire to try or hear anything else.

ATCs soffit mounted in British Grove studios were good, this thread should really be titled best speakers in best room.
Keith

Apogee full ranges, grands, scintilla, duetta
Western electrics (12a, 13a, 15a, 16a, etc)
Acoustats. Better than quads and more fai proof
And yeah, Kef LS50 and the Heco direkt for solving many issues for the small consumer with limited space and budget.

I will stick with the Gale 401s. Very few speakers look so good and sound brilliant to go with it. My wife likes them almost as sculptures. She does not listen to 'Hifi' at all.

If I am forced to downsize and no longer have a man cave - then a pair of Wireless LS50s will do - different beasts but I reckon they are a classic already!

I would also give first place to the Apogee Scintillas (1 Ohm version) followed by the other Apogees' Bonzo mentions.

Of the the other great speakers I have been able to hear over the years I would rank the Beverage Electrostatics and the Dayton Wright (gas filled) electrostatics (these only in stacked pairs) close behind the Apogees. Both of these about as difficult to drive as the Scintillas so need the right amp as well.

Still love my Meridian M10 actives though. :)

Quad ESL57
Spendor BC1/SP1
Gale 401
Altec Lansing Model 19
BBC LS3/5a
Linn Kan
Linn Isobarik
Naim SBL
Naim DBL

I'll fourth the ESL 57. The 63 may well be better, it was a second chance to perfect the design after all, but the 57 changed everything, revolutionary if you like. I used a pair for 25 years, still miss them.

should have been split into price ranges? Who cares that some £10000+ speaker is the best: I cant afford it ( most of the names here mentioned I have never heard of)?

best speaker ( 2nd hand ) in the £100-170 price range are the Epos M5i & M12i - they look good and sound fine & you get a lot of Kg for your money. I think these are the last speakers I will get.

ps I think some of you are making up the absurd and esoteric names that exist only in their imagination ;)
eg Totem Arro, Totem Mani-2, Vandersteen 2CE, Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus, Verity Parsifal Ovation,Electro Voice Patricians

The point is, the loudspeakers (and room interaction) ARE the most important part of your audio experience in 2017 and you WILL keep trying to find better because inexpensive loudspeakers can ALWAYS be bettered significantly by investing wisely.

should have been split into price ranges? Who cares that some £10000+ speaker is the best: I cant afford it ( most of the names here mentioned I have never heard of)?

I agree so my choices are at very different price points

AR18
Totem Mite
Focal Diablo Utopia

In between all those that I wouldn't put in my top 3 have been Saras, , Isobariks, ATC SCM12, ATC SCM40, ATC SCM7, Rega R1, Linn Katan, Linn Tukan

advertisement

Back