1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

Discussion in 'audio' started by louballoo, Jan 28, 2012.

1. andrewhockley

andrewhockley pfm Member

I nominate Apogee Scintilla - suspect some of the other Apogees are better, but Scintillas are the best I've heard.
    I Second the Impulse H2s

2. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

I'd like to second the Quad ESLs, having heard 57s, 63s, and 989s. The only problems for me are a relative lack of low bass, and perhaps mildly unconvicing percussion, but otherwise they are the only speaker I've heard which I'd consider apart from ATCs.

3. finesensations

finesensations pfm Member

+1 for Yamaha NS1000Ms.

Had mine from new for around 30 years and, touch wood, still going and sounding great.

No idea what I would replace them with.

Any suggestions?

4. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

Depends what you mean by top. If you mean classic speakers of all time (which would include some cheaper models) then mine are:

second Focal Micro Utopis Bes

I nominate AR18s

I nominate ATC SCM 12s

5. Willie Eckerslyke

Willie Eckerslyke Occasional Optimist

I second the Linn Kan I, and nominate the Gale GS401A. In fact if I still had both I might not want any other speakers.

6. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

Second AR 18s.

7. Darren

Darren All Business

I second the Apogee Scintilla as the best speaker I ever heard.

8. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

I've never heard the Spendor BC1, but they have always interested me.

9. aquapiranha

aquapiranha pfm Member

Second the ESL63 and the Impulse H2.

10. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

11. avole

avole He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches.

You're wrong on this. It's the BBC LS3/5a. Rogers et al were licenced to make them, but it's a BBC design and they should get the credit.

Clearly the most iconic speaker design, and still produced by Stirling Broadcast, Rogers (the new company) Harbeth and Spendor.

12. gary yeowell

gary yeowell pfm Member

13. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Top 25 of all time is a pretty tall order. I'll second the Spendor BC1, and add the Magnepan.

14. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Heybrook HB1's.
    Or Gale 301's
    SBL's

The Heybrooks were my 1st proper speaker.
    SBL's are iconic, if flawed
    The Gales I just loved.
    Matt.

15. Evil Emperor

Evil Emperor Taller Than Stalin

I'm guessing 22 out of the 25 loudspeakers will be UK designs and 20 of those 22 will have been discontinued more than 10 years ago, too small to deliver any realistic bass and practically unheard of by anyone other than a middle-aged former reader of 1980s British hi-fi magazines.

So I nominate the Infinity IRS V. If you want a new loudspeaker, the Avantgarde Trios. If you want a new British speaker, probably the B&W 600 diamond, but only if they get some bass reinforcement.

The rest are toys. You know, for kids.

16. Markus S

Markus S 41 - 29

I nominate the Altec A7.

17. paskinn

paskinn pfm Member

The trouble is the usual one.....our limited exposure to really fine equipment.Stuff like Quad 57s and 63s are fine (been there, done that), and the usual suspects are also perfectly fine. But 'great'? Rather routine actually.Those who have heard Apogee Scintillas, and a hanfdfull of other truly great speakers (none of them boxes) will know what I mean. It is very hard to hear great equipment, it is rare....but that means PFM can fall into the trap of elevating the good, but mundane, stuff into something it is not. PFM is often startingly unambitious...for instance, how many have heard a Rockport record deck, an Air Tangent arm? A pair of Apogees, a genuine Audionote Ongaku?. I haven't heard all that stuff either, but what I have heard towered above the sort of stuff most of us could ever afford.And for that reason it doesn't get into the lists. Which makes lists pretty useless.But then we all knew that.....

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Amazingly I've heard everything in that list, though much in what I'd consider less than ideal situations e,g. shows, shops etc.

19. arthur

arthur Banned

Can't BELIEVE we've gotten this fat without a mention of the awesome...

ADM 9.1T's

So that's my nomination.

20. Bethelcat

Bethelcat Active Member

[/QUOTE] So I nominate the Infinity IRS V. If you want a new loudspeaker, the Avantgarde Trios. If you want a new British speaker, probably the B&W 600 diamond, but only if they get some bass reinforcement.

The rest are toys. You know, for kids.[/QUOTE]

+1 for Infinity, though I'd put the IRS I as the best: astoundingly well integrated sound for a four pillar speaker