advertisement

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

I nominate Apogee Scintilla - suspect some of the other Apogees are better, but Scintillas are the best I've heard.
I Second the Impulse H2s

I'd like to second the Quad ESLs, having heard 57s, 63s, and 989s. The only problems for me are a relative lack of low bass, and perhaps mildly unconvicing percussion, but otherwise they are the only speaker I've heard which I'd consider apart from ATCs.

It is the only speaker I have owned and heard that (I think) outperforms Yamaha NS1000Ms but I think it has to be around longer to achieve classic status, so I will nominate the NS1000s.

Nic P

+1 for Yamaha NS1000Ms.

Had mine from new for around 30 years and, touch wood, still going and sounding great.

No idea what I would replace them with.

Any suggestions?

Depends what you mean by top. If you mean classic speakers of all time (which would include some cheaper models) then mine are:

second Focal Micro Utopis Bes

I nominate AR18s

I nominate ATC SCM 12s

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

First we need the nominations..........That is what this thread is for.

I'd like to see each member contribute one nomination or second or third a nomination.

Then I will tabulate (next week) and set up a poll.

for example: Please start your post with:

I nominate Rogers LS35A.

Or

I second .......

Or

I third ......

If we put that at the start of each post it will be easy to count later....

After that you can slag each others choices to your hearts content.

Louballoo

Clearly the most iconic speaker design, and still produced by Stirling Broadcast, Rogers (the new company) Harbeth and Spendor.

Top 25 of all time is a pretty tall order. I'll second the Spendor BC1, and add the Magnepan.

Heybrook HB1's.
Or Gale 301's
SBL's

The Heybrooks were my 1st proper speaker.
SBL's are iconic, if flawed
The Gales I just loved.
Matt.

I'm guessing 22 out of the 25 loudspeakers will be UK designs and 20 of those 22 will have been discontinued more than 10 years ago, too small to deliver any realistic bass and practically unheard of by anyone other than a middle-aged former reader of 1980s British hi-fi magazines.

So I nominate the Infinity IRS V. If you want a new loudspeaker, the Avantgarde Trios. If you want a new British speaker, probably the B&W 600 diamond, but only if they get some bass reinforcement.

The rest are toys. You know, for kids.

The trouble is the usual one.....our limited exposure to really fine equipment.Stuff like Quad 57s and 63s are fine (been there, done that), and the usual suspects are also perfectly fine. But 'great'? Rather routine actually.Those who have heard Apogee Scintillas, and a hanfdfull of other truly great speakers (none of them boxes) will know what I mean. It is very hard to hear great equipment, it is rare....but that means PFM can fall into the trap of elevating the good, but mundane, stuff into something it is not. PFM is often startingly unambitious...for instance, how many have heard a Rockport record deck, an Air Tangent arm? A pair of Apogees, a genuine Audionote Ongaku?. I haven't heard all that stuff either, but what I have heard towered above the sort of stuff most of us could ever afford.And for that reason it doesn't get into the lists. Which makes lists pretty useless.But then we all knew that.....

for instance, how many have heard a Rockport record deck, an Air Tangent arm? A pair of Apogees, a genuine Audionote Ongaku?.

Amazingly I've heard everything in that list, though much in what I'd consider less than ideal situations e,g. shows, shops etc.

Can't BELIEVE we've gotten this fat without a mention of the awesome...

ADM 9.1T's

So that's my nomination.

[/QUOTE] So I nominate the Infinity IRS V. If you want a new loudspeaker, the Avantgarde Trios. If you want a new British speaker, probably the B&W 600 diamond, but only if they get some bass reinforcement.

The rest are toys. You know, for kids.[/QUOTE]

+1 for Infinity, though I'd put the IRS I as the best: astoundingly well integrated sound for a four pillar speaker

advertisement

Back