advertisement

NJC Audio amplifier and DAC or RME ADI-2 FS DAC?

Adam D

Where's the bear?
In my desktop headphone system I currently have NJC Audio Headphone Amplifier and a Micromega MyDAC.

It's a great little system and I do enjoy listening to my tunes through it.

I have come into some money and as a result I am considering upgrading it.

After doing some research online, the first logical one is to buy a NJC Audio DAC to go with the amplifier. This seems to get a lot of good chat and the two items would match visually as well.

An alternative would be to sell both the NJC amplifier and Micromega DAC and buy a RME ADI-2 FS DAC.

The RME also seems to generate a lot of positive chat on the various forums.

Both options would cost me about the same amount of money.

At the moment, I am leaning towards the NJC DAC. The reason being is that I want a clear as possible source, because I am quite happy using PEACE or other plug-ins to carry out the equalisation. I don't really need the bells and whistles that come with the RME.

Anyone have any thoughts about which upgrade path I should take?

I have owned the NJC amp and the RME unit. Purely in terms of headphone performance I would pick the RME without hesitation. The RME is a complex beast for sure - but I understand there is now PC-based software that makes configuration and control much easier than using the front panel. I doubt the RME DAC performance could be significantly improved on in terms of accuracy, and the PEQ enables one to shape of the final sound to taste. I used a recommended PEQ adjustment for my Sennheiser 650’s that really lifted them, to the extent that I happily sold my 800’s as they offered little more and were much less comfortable and practical.

I have owned the NJC amp and the RME unit. Purely in terms of headphone performance I would pick the RME without hesitation. The RME is a complex beast for sure - but I understand there is now PC-based software that makes configuration and control much easier than using the front panel. I doubt the RME DAC performance could be significantly improved on in terms of accuracy, and the PEQ enables one to shape of the final sound to taste. I used a recommended PEQ adjustment for my Sennheiser 650’s that really lifted them, to the extent that I happily sold my 800’s as they offered little more and were much less comfortable and practical.
Thanks Peter.

So, I went ahead and bought the RME.

It is quite a performer and I am very pleased with my purchase.

I am using my laptop to connect to it via USB. The first couple of nights I tried it out I had a couple of IFI products in the chain and the power was connected to my laptop. This wasn't a good idea and at times I was getting a high pitched shrieking noise coming through the headphones.

I have now removed the IFI products and disconnected the power and no more high pitched screeching, hooray!

It does make me realise that my laptop could be putting other noise into the RME as wekk, so I am considering buying some kind of cheapish streamer, e.g. a WIIM Pro or building myself a Raspberry Pi based streamer.

Have you used the app which they’ve built as Mac/ipad/windows? Makes setting eq etc so easy,love my Rm,seriously doubt I’d ever get rid of it other than for the pro version.

Have you used the app which they’ve built as Mac/ipad/windows? Makes setting eq etc so easy,love my Rm,seriously doubt I’d ever get rid of it other than for the pro version.
No I haven't.

I had heard something about an app, but not looked for it yet.

Using the buttons to dial in the eq settings can be a bit on the fiddly side!

No I haven't.

I had heard something about an app, but not looked for it yet.

Using the buttons to dial in the eq settings can be a bit on the fiddly side!
The app is brilliant,works only through USB,full details on the Rme forum,makes life so easy

advertisement

Back