advertisement

Nikon Lenses

spengenuk

pfm Member
Hi
I have just got a good deal on a Nikon D3300 with 18-55 VRll kit lense. I would like to get a fixed lense like a 50 or 35 mm mainly for family pictures.
What would be a good buy ?
Spence

Spence - I have the 35mm AF-S DX f/1.8G on my D7200. Equivalent to about 50mm full frame. It's very good and good value. I like the extra light-gathering compared to the kit zoom especially indoors. It's fairly compact and light.

Ian

At f/1.8, natural light indoors. Slight crop and gentle processing of the RAW file using Nikon NX-D

Maisie_3 by Ian123running, on Flickr

Stopped down at f/4.5 and it's very sharp...
Sanna_3 by Ian123running, on Flickr

The 50/1.8G would give you a more classical focal length for portraiture when taking the crop factor into account, but this may be less useful for general photography. If it's classical portraiture then go for the 50, but if you want a more general purpose lens, go for the 35. You can't lose - both are superb lenses :)

Hope this helps,

Lefty

That’s true - of course you can always crop from a wider image so the 35mm works well for me as a general purpose lens, including eg family groups indoors. I enjoy the simplicity of no zoom too.

I think every photographer ends up with a favourite focal length, their own sweet spot, mine is 23mm on a crop sensor or 35mm full frame, other prefer 355mm on a crop (50mm FF)

I suspect that unless you are doing a lot of single portraits, then 50mm on a crop might be a little long (tight) as Lefty suggested.

I'd suggest fixing your lens to 50mm for a couple of days (a strong fat rubber band will do the job), and then repeat the process with the lens at 35mm. Although you won't have the wide aperture of the prime it will give you a very good idea of what the field of view will be, and its limitations.

advertisement

Back