advertisement

Nikon f100 'fEE' error

johnfromnorwich

even my wife noticed the dif..
Just wanted to check this quickly with any other Nikon users. I've just grabbed an f100 of ebay but it wont read the aperture on non-G lenses. I've got them stopped down and locked as per instructions but I still get the fEE error code. The lenses work fine on a D40 body and G type lenses read fine. Am I missing something buried in the manual or is this a straight refund job? Cheers = John

John,

Just want to make sure I understand -- you've set the aperture ring on an AF lens to the smallest aperture (e.g., f/22) and locked it with the tab and you still get the fEE error message?

If so, try switching off the camera, taking out the battery, putting it back in and switching on again.

Joe

John,

Just want to make sure I understand -- you've set the aperture ring on an AF lens to the smallest aperture (e.g., f/22) and locked it with the tab and you still get the fEE error message?

If so, try switching off the camera, taking out the battery, putting it back in and switching on again.

Joe

Thanks Joe - Yes. 50mm, f/1.8 @ f/22 and locked. Switched off, removed lens, battery out, wait a bit, battery in, lens on, power up. Still got the error.

Sounds like a fault. I'll get my money back and there's about a million of them on ebay at the moment so I'm not terribly worried. Annoying though.

John,

Try two more things before giving up -- clean the contacts in the F100 and on the problem lens. If I recall correctly, the fEE message can come up if the camera can't connect electrically with the lens.

r9jzwl.jpg

2hp7l28.jpg

If that doesn't work try a full camera reset* -- or getting an FM3a, which never shows an fEE message. :)

Joe

* To return the camera's various customizable settings to their original settings press the CSM and MODE buttons (the ones with green dots) simultaneously for a coupla seconds

Thanks again - I've tried both of those. Even without cleaning, the lens is recognised immediately by a D40 body. Contacts in the body looked spotless before cleaning and I'm still getting the error anyway. Grrrrr. This was supposed to have been tested before sale. Probably tested with a G-type lens.

John,

Yeah, it sounds like the camera is defective. Well, there is but one solution -- send it back and get an FM3a instead.

Joe

John,

Yeah, it sounds like the camera is defective. Well, there is but one solution -- send it back and get an FM3a instead.

Joe

I admit I was a bit put off the F100 by the compexity of the electronics (I'm used to 'manual' and a +/- meter if you're lucky!) butI was really looking for a cheapish autofocusing solution for AF-D lenses. The 50 1.8 is really nice but it doesn't do AF on the D40 and I'm reluctant to buy another digital until the D700 gets replaced (and the s/h price drops accordingly). Oh well.

John,

If you want auto focus and the ability to pop into manual mode easily maybe a secondhand Nikon F4 would be a good choice. Heavy as a gold brick, though.

Joe

John,

If you want auto focus and the ability to pop into manual mode easily maybe a secondhand Nikon F4 would be a good choice. Heavy as a gold brick, though.

Joe

The seller has acknowledged the fault and refunded. It put me off complex electronic cameras though so I've bought a s/h F4s. Less money too. Intuitive controls, no menus, just proper solid buttons that all do one thing. Reviews seem to complain about the speed of autofocus but it seems fine to me - plus I'm used to manual anyway. Although it's heavy, it's still light compared to my RB67! It's a lot of camera for the money.

advertisement

Back