advertisement

Nikon D850

The Pixel Arms race is quite annoying (driven partly by mobile phone pub bragging rights), less dense sensors with more sensitivity and better dynamic range would be more preferable, and put less requirements on optics and stabilisation systems

Canon had to 'upgrade' a lnber of lenses to ensure they have good results on the 50MP cameras, wonder if Nikon are starting to hit the same problem..... the

I sometimes don't use a focus point at all: just turn the focus ring until image in the boo-er is sharp.

Joe

I mostly use the ones that are on thirds, but the other 47 get jealous so I let them have a go.

Pete

David,

Canon had to 'upgrade' a lnber of lenses to ensure they have good results on the 50MP cameras, wonder if Nikon are starting to hit the same problem..... the
I think that's already happened. The new 105mm f/1.4 and 28mm f/1.4 are two recent lenses that have kicked up sharpness a notch.

Joe

The best thing about the D850 may well be the sensor itself. Not the megapixel gain but the fact that it's a BSI sensor and that it's Nikon's own design as opposed to being sourced from Sony. Clearly this sensor will have different characteristics from the D810 sensor so if there's a fundamental improvement in, for example, colour rendition then it may make this a worthwhile upgrade. Either way I think the D850 will be a phenomenally successful camera.

Down here there are suddenly a bunch of D750 for sale, people are already placing their orders for D850 (NZD6099 incl GST or GBP3,427.68). It's available down here 7 September.

This may be work a look (for the skeptics particularly):

Landscape

Astro timelapse

Sports Action

Last edited by a moderator:
Down here there are suddenly a bunch of D750 for sale, people are already placing their orders for D850 (NZD6099 incl GST or GBP3,427.68). It's available down here 7 September.

This may be work a look (for the skeptics particularly):

Landscape

Astro timelapse

Sports Action

No doubt it's a great camera but those are all 'reviews' by Nikon sponsored shooters so they are only going to be positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt it's a great camera but those are all 'reviews' by Nikon sponsored shooters so they are only going to be positive.

Well of course! Have you got your hands on one to be able to review it yet?! No!

In the mean time, these are propaganda clips (not reviews) that give more information than the numerous assumption and conjecture posts found around the interweb. :)

I'll be reading the reviews with some interest, and may be lucky enough to try a loaner soon. I don't expect to be buying the D850 soon; a D4 or D4s is where I need to be.

Cheers

Well of course! Have you got your hands on one to be able to review it yet?! No!

In the mean time, these are propaganda clips (not reviews) that give more information than the numerous assumption and conjecture posts found around the interweb. :)

I'll be reading the reviews with some interest, and may be lucky enough to try a loaner soon. I don't expect to be buying the D850 soon; a D4 or D4s is where I need to be.

Cheers

Jeez, sometimes I wonder why I bother. You were suggesting the videos would persuade the skeptics so I pointed out that they were from sponsored shooters which means they count for nothing. Propaganda as you rightly and subsequently said.

Obviously I don't have one to review.

ahhh, okay - good point. the skeptics won't be swayed by propaganda, and indeed are unlikely to be swayed by most reviews. #8 )

'kin hell it does look very very good.

Pete

Spec wise it looks very very good, but it will live or die by the quality of the images from the sensor - a move away from Sony or Sony modified sensors from Nikon - their own design and made under contract for them.

I thought the first video was funny as promo videos almost always are - marketing departments have a check list of features they need to be demonstrated.

The camera was shown completely wet around 20 seconds in (proving it's water resistant), whilst the photographer was completely dry - you've got to hand it to a photographer who in a bit of rain sticks a brolly up, but leaves his camera out in the rain.

The photographer also blathers on about how the colours are so much better with the new camera, and the images pop unlike the older D800/D810 images. An attempt to get those existing users onto the upgrade mill to replace their 'obsolete' cameras, or maybe some concern about the new sensor which may have a different look?

Anyhow, it's clearly an excellent camera, but i've a feeling it's been over 10 years since any major camera manufacturer has released anything that isn't excellent in the right hands, for the intended application.

More likely that D750 users have said 3 recalls are enough;)

I actually hope it will do great for Nikon though and applaud their efforts.

Mind you, one niggle. Nikon had plenty of time to plan for their 100th but this wasn't ready for a formal announcement then, just a preview. Cynical old me would wonder why?

Agreed with David re Amar's X100T output - some truly lovely stuff, just seems to 'work' on so many levels. Despite owning the lovely Pen F, I've been forcing myself to get out and about with the X100S of late, there being something quite special about the X100* range of cameras. Not sure I'd plump for the 100F (having this alongside the Pen is a step too far for me in terms of sinking £'s in gear) but had I not got the Pen it would be tempting.

Thank you Richard :) I must admit to having a bitter-sweet feeling about the images coming from the X100T. Sweet because they are so good, bitter because the D800E should be demonstrably better. I guess the limiting factor is the dumb, soft, squidgy thing behind the camera. I'm clearly not getting the best out of the D800E. It's a demanding mistress, but one I'm determined to tame... To be fair, I've hardly used it. I put way more clicks on the X-T2 in my first few months of ownership as compared with the D800E. I need to put that right over the coming months.

I've not used a PEN myself, but the images you are getting out of yours are superb. The thing I love about the X100* series is that it somehow feels way more than the sum of its parts. Look at the specs and it's 'meh'. However, get it in your hands and spend some time with it and it's a joy to spend time with. I find the 'hit rate' with the X100T to be very high. It's quite difficult to take a bad shot with it.

Back to the D850, it also doubles as a 46MP film scanner using the (simultaneously announced) ES-2. Check it out:

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/24/nikon-d850-doubles-45-7mp-film-scanner/

nikonfilmscannerfeat.jpg

Lefty

advertisement

Back