1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nikon D850

Discussion in 'photo' started by Lefty, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Lefty

Lefty pfm Member

Looks superb! I want one (but can't justify the cost)

Available in September for £3499

• 45.7 megapixel back-illuminated FX-format CMOS Sensor4K UHD video at 30p (No Cropping)
    • EXPEED 5 image processing engineISO range from ISO 64-25,600 (extendable to 32-102,400)
    • 153-point AF system (99 Cross-Type)
    • Pinpoint AF mode for ultra-precise macro focusing
    • Centre AF Point sensitive down to -4EV (all other points to -3EV)
    • Continuous shooting at 7fps (up to 9fps with MB-D18 battery grip)
    • Silent shooting up to 6fps with electronic shutter using Live View
    • 3.2” 2,360k-dot tilting LCD touchscreen monitor
    • Dual Card Slots with UHS-II compatible SD slot and an XQD card slot
    • MB-D18 with EN-EL18B gives up to 5,140 shots on single charge
    • In-camera 4K timelapse True 8K timelapse using interval shooting
    • Image stacking using Focus Shift mode for up to 300 shots

Lefty

2. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Lefty,

Only 153 AF points? Nikon missed an opportunity here. ;-)

Joe

3. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

Specs do look cool, still a weighty beast though!! I think the focus shift could beverycoolforboth stacked macro and landscape work (pin sharp images from here to the horizon)

But as you imply, a lot of dough though no doubt it will start to drop in 6 months

4. Lefty

Lefty pfm Member

:D

Yes, for me it's something to keep an eye on for when they start appearing on the second hand market at reasonable prices. (£2.5k or below).

Does make the 5DIV seem rather overpriced and behind the times!

Lefty

5. Joe P

The D850 does look awesome, but I need more time and skill than more camera.

Joe

6. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Don't forget you will need the grip and a qxd card so call it 4K.

Does look very nice, but you are going to hold it very still to get good images.

Pete

7. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

I sometimes wonder why my D7200 (and D80 before that) only go down as slow as ISO 100. Is it difficult to achieve lower ISOs with digital sensors?

8. Lefty

Lefty pfm Member

^^ This

In fact, I sometimes find that 'more camera' can make me a worse photographer! Shooting slide film with a Yashica Mat 124G recently was a humbling experience. Getting the exposure right was an achievement in itself!

Edit: coming back to the D850 for a second - what do folk think of the price differential between the UK and US? (£3499 vs $3300). Justified? A p**s take?

Lefty

9. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

There was a piece on BBC Watchdog this week on grey imported cameras. It obviously refers to sellers importing cheaper cameras from abroad and selling them here as European/UK models (when they are not). Some sellers even change the serial information. There are warranty issues - most manufacturers will not cover these imports with their normal warranty. Of course, if the manufacturers pricing model was fair and the same across all markets, then there would be less/no room for these grey markets.....

10. Mr Perceptive

Some of your best shots recently have been on the X100T..........

11. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

It's been a long time since i've felt i'm limited by the number of pixels, the AF speed, the number of AF points, or the frames per second of a camera. The continual upgrade carousel is a little boring really, but i'm pretty happy with the cameras i've got.

There's plenty of lenses though that i get excited about, but camera bodies, not so.

12. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

+1ish

New things are nice and the 153 point AF would be useful.

Pete

13. Lefty

Lefty pfm Member

Funnily enough - that's what I was thinking when I wrote that :) Having said that though, I've been forcing myself back into serious photography and I've been quite pleased with the latest images I've been getting with the D800E.

I'm finding that the main difference between the Fuji and Nikon is colour rendition. It's much harder to get good colours (IMHO) with the Nikon. The Fuji is also a much more forgiving camera. I suspect a lot of that comes down to the 16MP of the Fuji vs the 36MP of the Nikon (this will be exacerbated with the D850's 46MP). However, put the work in and get it right with the Nikon and the results are astonishing :)

Lefty

14. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Agreed with David re Amar's X100T output - some truly lovely stuff, just seems to 'work' on so many levels. Despite owning the lovely Pen F, I've been forcing myself to get out and about with the X100S of late, there being something quite special about the X100* range of cameras. Not sure I'd plump for the 100F (having this alongside the Pen is a step too far for me in terms of sinking £'s in gear) but had I not got the Pen it would be tempting.

Please appreciate this is a completely personal, subjective view - the D850 is obviously a technical Tour de Force from the mighty Nikon, but it doesn't show us anything new. I'm waiting for one of the big boys to introduce a mirrorless pro-spec 'DSLR' and take us on a whole new - and exciting - journey. The thought of a FF, mirrorless Nikon with all that lovely glass to delve into, is mouth-watering imho.

Who will have the guts to be the first I wonder?

15. Dev

Dev pfm Member

Fujifilm GFX? not fast as pro DSLRs from Nikon and Canon admittedly but it is aimed at pro market. I personally wouldn't call it medium format. And Sony have already brought out fast mirrorless full frame cameras for the pro market.

16. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

Hasselblad - you need deep pockets though:

http://www.hasselblad.com/x1d

17. Mr Perceptive

I think that the F is the 'best' camera I own, not because its shiny and new and not because it has the most features or best IQ, but because it the nicest to use. I really enjoy it.

18. Joe P

Aren't the Leica M-series cameras mirrorless, or are people thinking cameras without mirrors but with electronic viewfinders of some sort?

Joe

19. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

... and autofocus

20. canonman

canonman Mirror slapper