advertisement

Nikon D750

cliffpatte

Speed camera anarchist
Morning all, another day another camera - not that I want one, but here goes:

On the Nikon web site they've positioned this one between the D810 and the D4S, which is odd to say the least because on first sight it looks like a souped up D610 rather than a cut down D4S. It seems basically to be their highest priced consumer camera, leaving the D4S and D810 as their only professional offerings:

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/digital-cameras/slr/consumer/d750

It's got the Metering System from the D810 - so more pixels for metering than the D610
Base ISO 12800 instead of 6400
51 focus points instead of 39
Built in WiFi
Tilt screen

Not much between D610 and D750 at first sight.
OK, metering system, but 2,016-pixel RGB sensor of D610 is silly already, what can a 91K pixels sensor be good for?

And AF area, as far as I understand, D610 only covers small DX area with 39 points, D750 probably covers the same FX area as D810. Mostly useless unless one is shooting bird action or similar.

Not much between D610 and D750 at first sight.
OK, metering system, but 2,016-pixel RGB sensor of D610 is silly already, what can a 91K pixels sensor be good for?

The purpose of the larger number of metering sensors is so that the camera can recognize more scenes more accurately. I guess it will get more shots metered correctly when used in program / pattern mode.

And AF area, as far as I understand, D610 only covers small DX area with 39 points, D750 probably covers the same FX area as D810. Mostly useless unless one is shooting bird action or similar.

the purpose of the larger number of AF points is twofold:

i) to allow for selection of positions in the frame outside of the middle to be the chosen focus point

ii) to allow for greater precision when doing 3D tracking - for instance when you shoot a moving subject when panning to track the general frame, it'll have a better chance of finding the reference focus point in 51 points than in 39

Cliff,

On the Nikon web site they've positioned this one between the D810 and the D4S, which is odd to say the least because on first sight it looks like a souped up D610 rather than a cut down D4S.
I wouldn't read much into the camera's position on the webpage, as it may just be where the UK webby guy put it.

On the Nikon Canada site, the D750 is positioned between the D800 and D610.

Joe

auric,

They should have put the Df in that shot. Kids today, eh?

Joe

The purpose of the larger number of metering sensors is so that the camera can recognize more scenes more accurately. I guess it will get more shots metered correctly when used in program / pattern mode.

How many pictures did we incorrectly expose when we just read the recommendations for sunny or cloudy on the inside of the film box?

With the amazing sensors of modern cameras we could probably shoot everything at 250th at f8 and sort it out later on the PC.

They seem to be inventing solutions to problems that don't really exist.

With the amazing sensors of modern cameras we could probably shoot everything at 250th at f8 and sort it out later on the PC.

That's almost what I do, but I use 1/1000 and 2.8 - I have a feisty and explosive dog, I need short exposure times :)

But really, I don't remember me missing many shots with 6 segment matrix metering with Fuji Velvia.
And I get perfectly correct exposure today using my FE2.

Seriously, 91K pixels sensor? What, did Canon just introduce 90K sensor?

How many pictures did we incorrectly expose when we just read the recommendations for sunny or cloudy on the inside of the film box?

They seem to be inventing solutions to problems that don't really exist.

Even now I use rules of thumb and manual settings quite a bit - so I kind of know that indoors at night you can shoot at 1/60th, ISO400 and wide open on a fast lens. But the new metering sensor might help someone with less experience I guess - after all they have the same thing on smaller consumer cameras

advertisement

Back