advertisement

Nikon D7000

daveofbradford

Monica I said sack my cook
Well after a lot of reaserch and camera touching and from the kind advice on a couple of forums I have made a decision to buy a new Nikon D7000.
I know there is a few lens threads regarding lense choice, but I want to photo landscapes and architecture. This I see as my first lense to learn with so would welcome some recommendations. Price range upto say £200 either second hand or new. Prefer a general walkabout and shoot that will if all goes well be placed on a full frame camera at a later date.

Good choice of camera! I did much deliberation and decided on the 7000 - really great body, but I also have a few Nikon lenses! One of my favourites is the 12-24 which I use about 50% of the time, but this one ain't cheap. Do you want a zoom or prime?
The 35 1.8 is nice lens to put on and forget, but for a zoom maybe the 28-105.
Whatever you choose get a good filter and enjoy.
I also have a page of user settings for the U1/2 settings if you like - Ken Rockwells are ok but he likes things a tad different!

Hi RoyleBlue, to start off and get used to the camera I was thinking of a prime and a few people I know have mentioned the 35mm f1.8, so this is going to be top of my list. The extra width over the 50mm equiv will be usefull.
Do you have a filter to recommend for the above, Hoya Cokin...?
Thats very nice of you I would be very interested in the U1 / 2 settings. I will send you a PM with my email if thats ok.
Once again thank you very much.

Dave as you have gone for a DX sensor, that brings the Sigma 30mm F1.4 into play. Its over £200 new but less second hand I reckon. I bought one new in Hong Kong for £170 in 2008, so a personal purchase on t'internet from HK is a possibility

The Sigma is closer in spec to the F1.4 full frame Nikkor, but only has a DX sized image circle.

The D7000 also gives you access to manual focus AIS lenses such as the 35mm F2

Hi Cliffe, thanks for the info prviously and today. I collect tomorrow the camera from Jessops in Bury and got a deal which seems good. The deal is Nikon D7000 with the nikkor 35mm f1.8 g AF-S DX and three years accidental damage policy for £855.00. All this on 10 months interest free. Mind you I have to collect from Lancashire :eek: now where is my white rose passport.
Seeing your post later than I placed my order, would the Sigma been a better choice I see the f stop is wider and should it still be on my list to look at in the future.
Interesting point on the AIS 35mm F2, I take it its because drive is in the body for focusing ?

Interesting point on the AIS 35mm F2, I take it its because drive is in the body for focusing ?

AIS lenses are manual focus. The D7000 will meter with these - you just have to set up some presets (all in the manual and dead easy), turn off AF and away you go. The only downside is no split image in the VF, but there is a little focus indicator in the VF.

AIS lenses are manual focus. The D7000 will meter with these - you just have to set up some presets (all in the manual and dead easy), turn off AF and away you go. The only downside is no split image in the VF, but there is a little focus indicator in the VF.

I see thanks mate

Can the focussing screen be switched out to give you a split image? If so, is there any disadvantage to doing it?

Unfortunately not - however if you have a tripod and a static subject it should be easy to use live view, pick a point and zoom way in on the back screen to manually focus. Ends up a bit like using a view camera with a loupe on the ground glass! - The only problem is that in bright light you might need a dark cloth over you and the camera to be able to see the screen...

Can the focussing screen be switched out to give you a split image? If so, is there any disadvantage to doing it?

@dan actually focus confirmation light is enough

@dave ais lenses need a feeler on the body to confirm the aperture selected. D7000 has this. D3200 doesn't, rest of info is as per #ultrawomble

Hi guys, came across this vid regarding lenses. He does say in the vid that on the site is a list of lenses and which Nikon they work or dont work with. I hope with being new I am not covering old ground for you.

SEE BELOW...................

advertisement

Back