1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nikon 300mm f4 PF

Discussion in 'photo' started by ron, Aug 29, 2017.

1. ron

ron Tweaker

I wanted a light alternative to go with my 300mm f2.8 mainly whilst out walking. Anyway thought I'd try the 300mm f4 PF , I've had it a week now and must admit its not bad at all and goes well with my D500.
    Focus speed isn't as fast as the f2.8 and its not quite as sharp but for the price difference I wouldn't expect it to be . It works well wide open with and without the TC

300mm f4 PF , 300mm f2.8

[​IMG]IMG_3348 by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

D500 + 300mm f/4 PF

[​IMG]_DSC6778_openWith-Edit-2 D500 300mm f4 PF by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC6566_openWith-Edit-2 D500 300mm f4 PF by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC6377_openWith-Edit D500 300mm f4 PF by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC6529_openWith-Edit D500 300mm f4 PF by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC6565_openWith-Edit-2 D500 300mm f4 PF by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC6530_openWith-Edit-2 D500 300mm f4 PF by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC6954_openWith-Edit D500 300mm f4 PF by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC5586_openWith D500 300mm f4 PF by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC5086_openWith by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

300mm f4 PF + TC-14e iii

[​IMG]_DSC5002_openWith by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC4626_openWith-Edit by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

2. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

Well those look lovely, and i'm not sure if I had the f/4 i'd even contemplate the f/2.8 version if you can get these results with it!

3. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

+1. Fabulous bird shots and impressive and beautiful insects close-ups too

4. Lefty

Lefty pfm Member

Superb images - very nice indeed!

Lefty

5. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

Those photographs with the F4 are very sharp indeed. I'm in a quandary. Canon 300mm F4 vs 300mm F2.8. Even s/h the smaller is a quarter of the price of the 2.8. But for floodlit sports, the 2.8 is essential. I could always hire one. Thanks for the uploads Ron.

6. ron

ron Tweaker

Thanks guys, must admit its much better than I thought and was expecting to send it back. I still can't believe how light it is, 750g compared to the 3kg f2.8. I managed to go as low as 1/20 with the VR which is handy for low light .

This isn't exactly a great shot but heres using the TC-14e iii Teleconverter wide open 420mm at f5.6 , second pic is obviously cropped

[​IMG]_DSC40891_openWith by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC4089_openWith by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

7. ron

ron Tweaker

The fast focus speed in lower light is one of the reasons I'm keeping the f2.8 . The little f4 accuracy is still very good , it just takes a little longer to lock and this is small birds under tree cover . For bigger brighter objects it shouldn't have any problems .
    The only other difference I found is longer distance objects using the TC, the IQ with the f2.8 holds up much better.
    For normal shots the smaller cheaper lens is hard to beat imo. It beats my 80-400G zoom with or without TC's and it's lighter too

8. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Excellent pictures, Ron.

The new lens isn't too shabby either.

Joe

9. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

Very nice lens and images , excelent quality OH hang on , Its a Nikon :p

10. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

That 300 F4 Looks plenty sharp to me Ron! Nice pics BTW.

11. Oakwood

Oakwood pfm Member

+1, thank you for posting these.

12. maroom

maroom Active Member

Great photos.

I have one of these too and it's a great and very lightweight lens.

13. ron

ron Tweaker

14. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

Astonishing.

15. Joe P

Unless you need an additional f-stop of light, I can't see going to the f/2.8 version of the 300mm if this is what the f/4 lens is capable of.

Wow.

Joe

16. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

Stunning Dragonfly

17. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Apart from the 'look at the size of my lens' factor, neither can i.

Nikon have produced a gem of lens there.

18. Joe P

Just checked the specs of the various 300mm Nikkors. The 300mm f/4 PF focuses the closest of the bunch.

Not quite a macro, but with a reproduction ratio of ~0.25x it's pretty damn close.

Joe

19. ron

ron Tweaker

20. ron

ron Tweaker