advertisement

Nick Drake

Interesting how so many have visited Nick's grave. It's not far from my neck of the woods and I made the journey with a friend one cold winter's day 2 years ago. I think sometimes that, because Nick wasn't given to vocal gymnastics it goes unmentioned what a fine voice he had.

Listening to this, I can appreciate his songwriting, but damn it also proves the man can't sing:

5YhkzlB.png

Unfortunately this is a really poor collection in my view. Everyone is trying far too hard to make the songs different/theirs instead of just letting the songs speak. A number of these cds on Mojo have been really great but not this one.

I think parental approval can be quite a powerful thing, even into your 20s and 30s.
Nick won a scholarship to Cambridge, but quit before the end due to Five leaves left.
His Dad fought tooth and nail to get him to stay.
Nick took the gamble, convinced he would earn a living, and show his Dad that it was the right call. When the album failed to take off, he carried on, to be met with another failure.
He must have felt really wretched then moving back home, with the unspoken atmosphere that he had failed and should have finished the degree as a backup.
So as far as success goes, I think it would have been very welcome to him at the time. He would have had a nice house and money, and have proven his gamble was right. His mental health would have been much better.
I think you are in no position to speculate about what his family life was like or what his parents thought of him or what effect that might have had on his mental health.

Listening to this, I can appreciate his songwriting, but damn it also proves the man can't sing:

5YhkzlB.png

Personally I love his voice; it's the fact that it is less than perfect that makes his work so honest and heartfelt.

I will listen to this album but, in the main, other people singing his songs usually makes me cringe.

Doug

advertisement

Back