advertisement

Nick Drake

I've recently re-visited Nick's work since taking my boy to a Nick Drake tribute gig. Such an incredible talent and tragic loss, although it's good to know his musial legacy is still being appreciated.
Apparently he used 21 alternative tunings....no wonder his live shows were so torturous - the fella only had one guitar..!

How Is the SQ for the 3 albums most recent release on vinyl. 2013 I think but just the standard issues, not the expensive box ones. Are they the same except for the packaging ? I have them on the early noughties Simply Vinyl issues and though not bad would like an upgrade.

Keeping it on topic - the best SQ for money is the original Island Fruit Tree set. The sound quality is very close to the original LP's but it costs a fraction of what original records would go for.

https://www.discogs.com/Nick-Drake-Fruit-Tree-The-Complete-Recorded-Works/release/664751

Keeping it on topic - the best SQ for money is the original Island Fruit Tree set. The sound quality is very close to the original LPs, but it costs a fraction of what original records would go for.

https://www.discogs.com/Nick-Drake-Fruit-Tree-The-Complete-Recorded-Works/release/664751

It would be nice to own LPs of Nick’s work, but I can’t really justify it as I own the CDs.
I did notice that original LPs go for high prices.
Back in ‘69 I didn’t know of ND. I discovered his work in the mid ‘90s.

Back in 69 I did...

...and have all 3 originals bought at the time.

Played to buggery now though, covers creased as well.

Still sound far better than my Fruit Tree Box.

I defy anyone who doesn't get on with this:

The way that track was recorded is utterly bonkers. John played it live, extremely loudly by the side of a lake, around dawn. The mics were set up the other side of the lake to record, hence why you can hear geese in the background.

I only wish the track was longer.

The way that track was recorded is utterly bonkers. John played it live, extremely loudly by the side of a lake, around dawn. The mics were set up the other side of the lake to record, hence why you can hear geese in the background.

I only wish the track was longer.

As I said earlier, each to his own...

I suppose we have to accept this John Martyn input as he is slightly connected to
Nick Drake.

Not sure if this link will work, but it points to online pages from Gabrielles book. It tells of discovery of the song lyrics for the b side of his final album, including "I saw you on a starship". It also mentions him possibly getting better after a trip to Paris before he died.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gvVGBQAAQBAJ&pg=PT78&lpg=PT78&dq=saw+you+on+a+starship+drake&source=bl&ots=c2zruE0Zsb&sig=A3nRewo0F_XTBhkFI4_A-VDTBsM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwid8r2jjq7ZAhUSesAKHboNAZsQ6AEwAHoECBAQAQ#v=onepage&q=saw you on a starship drake&f=false

Last edited:
He picked up for a while after the Paris trip.
The book has input from many sources...a compendium. The forward is by Monty Don of Gardener's World who suffers with the black dog and is a fan.

Well the Remembered for a While book is comprehensive but may avoid some of the more controversial elements e.g. alleged heroin use towards the end.
Trevor Dann's book is pretty complete:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0749951338/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
As to what occurred that is pretty straightforward...shy loner with no aptitude for grinding out live performances produces some of the greatest popular music ever and is crushed by its commercial failure. Add in industrial quantities of marijuana, the loss of Joe Boyd who had moved back to the US and he suffers a mental collapse from which he does not recover. Suicide (if it was such; some argue accidental overdose) may have been prompted by loss of long term friend Sophia Ryde who could no longer cope with him. A letter to her was at his bedside but the contents have never been revealed.

If anyone wants to borrow my copy of Trevor Dann's book please PM me.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I remember well John Peel’s comment when ‘Northern Sky’ was in the 2000 Festive Fifty - '...I often wonder what poor Nick would make of the respect in which his music's held now...’

I remember well John Peel’s comment when ‘Northern Sky’ was in the 2000 Festive Fifty - '...I often wonder what poor Nick would make of the respect in which his music's held now...’

It’s a bit like Van Gogh, I’m left shaking my head wondering how could people not “get it” at the time?

Back in 69 I did...

...and have all 3 originals bought at the time.

Played to buggery now though, covers creased as well.

Still sound far better than my Fruit Tree Box.

That surprises me as I also have all three original pressings (close to mint condition) bought at the time and the 1979 Fruit Tree sounds almost as good - I find it hard to tell them apart.

It’s a bit like Van Gogh, I’m left shaking my head wondering how could people not “get it” at the time?

IMO the answer to Peel's question is he wouldn't have enjoyed it at all, so unfortunately things may well still have ended sadly.

I think parental approval can be quite a powerful thing, even into your 20s and 30s.
Nick won a scholarship to Cambridge, but quit before the end due to Five leaves left.
His Dad fought tooth and nail to get him to stay.
Nick took the gamble, convinced he would earn a living, and show his Dad that it was the right call. When the album failed to take off, he carried on, to be met with another failure.
He must have felt really wretched then moving back home, with the unspoken atmosphere that he had failed and should have finished the degree as a backup.
So as far as success goes, I think it would have been very welcome to him at the time. He would have had a nice house and money, and have proven his gamble was right. His mental health would have been much better.

advertisement

Back