advertisement

Nick Drake

The Trevor Dann seems to be the most unvarnished account IMO.
Remembered for a While, is more from the family's side, but worth it.
The Patrick Humphies, again gives another side to the story.

Best to enjoy the music.
There's the 3 main albums, all very different.
Time of No Reply.
Made To Love Magic, which has input from Robert Kirby, whose contributions cannot be overestimated.
All beautifully recorded by John Wood at Sound Techniques.

The bootleg, Time Has Told Me, has tracks with his original orchestrator, Richard Hewson. Nick was unhappy with these, and mentioned he had "this friend up at Cambridge, Robert Kirby"
Went to the 1st, Way To Blue concert in Birmingham. Robert was in charge of the orchestra that night. When they opened up with Way To Blue it was identical to the album..... a deeply profound moment.

zz123r7.jpg

I'm going to visit his grave one day. Which for me is really odd, as I just don't do that sort of thing. I'm not a worshipper of music people at all.
I think what his music does is draw you in, rather than come out to greet you. Maybe all that dope made him into a shaman!

I mentioned further up the the thread that I visited Nick's grave - here's a pic :-

Nick1.jpg

...it's a lovely spot. The inscription "Now we Rise and we are Everywhere" is taken from the final song on Pink Moon "From the Morning". There is a sign on the tree that says to only leave organic items. Contrast to the grave of Ian Curtis (which I visited on the same day) which is covered in plastic toys, key rings etc.

Here's a shot I took of Nick's house "Far Leys" :-

Far_Leys.jpg

John Martyn's "Solid Air" was my introduction to him and his music after hearing JM introducing the song at his gigs. That song is still has a powerful resonance today.

Try as I might I've just not been able to get into Nick's music. There must be something there, where do I start in order to appreciate his work... give me 5 tracks to go immerse myself in

I mentioned further up the the thread that I visited Nick's grave - here's a pic :-

Nick1.jpg

...it's a lovely spot. The inscription "Now we Rise and we are Everywhere" is taken from the final song on Pink Moon "From the Morning". There is a sign on the tree that says to only leave organic items. Contrast to the grave of Ian Curtis (which I visited on the same day) which is covered in plastic toys, key rings etc.

Here's a shot I took of Nick's house "Far Leys" :-

Far_Leys.jpg

I understand that the blue plaque had the year of Nick’s birth wrong.
It’s 1948, not 1946.
The Birmingham Post said it was going to be changed, so hopefully it has been...

Big fan, the first records I picked up were Nick Drake albums: Five Leaves Left, Bryter Layter and Pink Moon. I think Pink Moon is the most introspective & bleak, with Bryter Layter probably the best introduction to Nick Drake.

All three albums have great songs on them (I especially love Northern Sky) but Pink Moon is my personal favourite for it's sparseness, coherence and sense of completeness.

It's very different but Joel Frederiksen's recordings of Nick Drake songs on Elizabethan period instruments works rather well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006OW80UU/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Well worth hearing if you want to hear a different take on Nick Drake's classic songs.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have to admit to liking Solid Air more than Nick's own albums. But then I like Solid Air more than pretty much everything else.

Nick has a substantial following amongst audiophiles, including me.
His music is dated and timeless at the same time and I am unsure why he seems to have far less of a following outside of us music nuts.

It never was 'pop' music. Only pop music is preserved by oldies radio. All the other good stuff? Known to few, fewer every day.

How Is the SQ for the 3 albums most recent release on vinyl. 2013 I think but just the standard issues, not the expensive box ones. Are they the same except for the packaging ? I have them on the early noughties Simply Vinyl issues and though not bad would like an upgrade.

advertisement

Back