advertisement

Nice review on the Larsen Model 8 speaker...

Hi Tim,

I have a couple of questions about the Larsen 4's that you have and in my google searches I've come across a number of posts from you extolling their virtues.

I actually heard the 6's and 8's when I was in Stockholm recently. I actually planned to hear the little Guru Junior but since they had the larsens in the room too I thought I'd have a listen and thought they were very nice but probably too expensive for me. I regret not listening to the model 4 which were more my budget.

Did you get a chance to compare the 4's with the 6's? Given the 6's are more than double the price do you think worth the extra outlay?

What size room do you have them in? How well do you think they would fill a fairly bare 5x6m (16x20) room?

How do you think they compare detail wise with more traditional front firing speakers like atc, proac etc?

Would you prefer them over some old used shahinian arcs?

Thanks for your time taken in answering.

King regards,
Tom

Wow, not sure how I missed this post, sorry for not answering Toms post, and will try to pick things back up a bit here.

Bhazen, I have owned my Model 4's for almost 3 years now, and I am still extremely happy with them. They just work in my room so very well and with my current Naim electronics that I really have no reason to look for anything else.

My main room size is about 16.5 feet wide by 15 feet deep, 8 foot ceilings. This room though is fairly open concept to kitchen and dining area, so a decent amount of space. The Larsens fill this space very well with no strain, just good music.

While they do certainly have a different perspective than front firing monkey coffins, I find them more like live music, very open, great sound staging and depth if that is important to you. I also enjoy this staging from almost anywhere you sit, no head in vise applies here to get the same detail or staging.

These speakers in my room do bass down to the mid 30's, very solid and roll off smoothly. the treble range is very detailed without the hard edge or etched sound that a lot of front firing monitor type speakers have. I find the Larsen just very natural all around.

Not much I don't like about these, they may not have the absolute finest veneering/cabinetry, but very good for the price asked. I think the veneering gets a bit better as you go up the model chain though. Other than that, it is a nice MDF cabinet with good quality drivers and crossover components, put together very nicely. The Model 4 is a real price buster in my mind, while a small speaker, it plays much bigger than one would think.

I have not heard the Model 6 or 8, so have no opinion on them or how they might be better etc. What I do have though is some comparison to my Shahinian Obelisk2's, and this is going to be a bit of a tough comparison really. For the money, and in my room and with the Naim electronics, the Larsen works better, and sounds every bit as good as the Obs do for the most part. It gives up some treble detail, and front to back depth or layering if you will of instruments, and probably a bit of bass/fullness, but I find the Larsen just really easier to live with-in my situation that is.

With the Obelisks and Plinius integrated, the Obs are obviously the better speaker, with those added details I gave above that the Larsen doesn't do, or do as well. The Obelisk is the better speaker, and based on price, it should be. But as I put it in response to a couple other forums, I feel like you have to be prepared when buying Obelisks, they kind of own you, not the other way around, and be prepared to give adequate amplification and sources to ensure you are getting the most of them, and generally, the feeding and care of the Obs isn't cheap. But it is rewarding.

The Larsens on the other hand, do not need expensive, powerful amps etc. to sound really good. Yes on the end of my Plinius integrated, the Larsen really can be transformed a bit more, it gives more in the bass end kick, but the overall presentation I typically like better with the Naim. Give and take.

What for me makes it interesting, is that when I have been listening to the Obs/Plinius combo for a long time, and then go back to the Larsens, it doesn't disappoint me in any way shape or form, or want to immediately put the Obs back in. They both make great music and that is what it is all about to me.

So, all this is just my take. Not worth much really, interested parties must listen for themselves and decide what is good in your system. Hope this may help some. Tim

TimF, thank you for the extensive response!!

It's nice to have confirmation; as it happens I auditioned - and ordered! - a pair of Model 4's yesterday. :) Can't wait. Big, organic sound, room-filling compact floorstander, for less than a pair of Harbeth P3's! Effortless music. Demo'd them with Naim CD5X and a SuperNait, so I'm pretty sure I'll get a good result with my Naim system.

Excellent! Where are you located? I am just curious as it seems to be difficult to get to listen to Larsens in various parts of the world.

You will have to update us on how you get along with them. I found installation is quite simple, as close to the wall behind them as possible, and try to keep them out of the corners, a foot or more is better. Play with the spread between them, I found that part was more the key in my system than any thing else. Mine are spread apart about 10 feet with my listening position roughly 7-8 feet from them.

When I first got my pair, I played them a lot, and thought yes, good speaker for the money, but just seemed a bit above average to me. It really wasn't until I got the spread just right that they seemed to really work. Again, this may be more room dependent than anything else, but do pay close attention to this part.

I have to say I am enjoying my pair immensely, and while not the "popular choice or brand" that gets touted, and certainly a bit of a sleeper, I feel it is well worth searching out and getting a listen to them for those that have not heard them. I dare say that most of the time these designs may not even get the first look or listen because of their different looks and design, and probably too, not enough time to get accustomed to their unique presentation. But they do make wonderful music, and pricing is to me, quite the bargain these days.

Bhazen, enjoy your pair, keep us posted! Congrats! Tim

Excellent! Where are you located? I am just curious as it seems to be difficult to get to listen to Larsens in various parts of the world.

You will have to update us on how you get along with them. I found installation is quite simple, as close to the wall behind them as possible, and try to keep them out of the corners, a foot or more is better. Play with the spread between them, I found that part was more the key in my system than any thing else. Mine are spread apart about 10 feet with my listening position roughly 7-8 feet from them. [...]

I'm near Seattle. My local boutique, Hawthorne Stereo, is just now carrying the line; Robert, the owner, is very high on the Larsens. Stereotypes Audio in Portland just picked up the line recently as well, so maybe Swedish speaker design is catching on. (I was disappointed that Guru never made it to the N.W.)

Robert set the 4's up about 6-8 feet apart in their big room, which surprised me; the drivers crossed a point in the air in the middle of the room, well in front of the listening position (12-15 feet away). But no matter ... they sounded amazing. Image was 3D, groove insistent, tones lifelike, presentation organic & unfussy. They seem to do that thing Shahinians are reported to do, which is retain the stereo picture and tonal presence even well outside the 'listening zone'. (What do Obelisks go for these days, I wonder?)

Anyway ... mine can't get here too soon.

Great, didn't know that Hawthorne was carrying them, I knew Stereotypes were. It is nice that Larsen are starting to get some good exposure.

As to Guru, it is a shame they have kind of stalled. I had the opportunity to listen to the first series of Guru Junior, and the Junior Plus, which is just an updated woofer, same as on the newest QM10, which I also have listened to in my friends listening space. All of them are good, but the Juniors just did not have the impact that they had in my friends smaller room. The QM10's were a bit better in this respect.

I will say this though, I think the Larsen is a better speaker all around, better midrange and detail. I felt like most music had a sameness to it on the Gurus, I don't know how to explain it. I guess I wanted to like the Guru Junior more, but in my space it just didn't happen for me, yet in my friends listening room, a very good presentation. It kind of out-Kanned the Linn Kans on that boogey thing.

On the Obelisks, they are now just under 10K new, so the Larsen Model 4 at a fifth of the price does pull off a very similar musical presentation I feel, lacking the scale and maybe a bit of treble detail that the Obs have. I do love Obs, and again, driven by the right amps and fed great sources, it is one of those speakers that can end the game of swapping and looking for more.

I would love to hear the Larsen 8's against the Obelisk, a more fair comparison? At any rate, enjoy your Larsens, keep me posted! Our ranks are growing!

Tim

I didn't get to hear them in anything like an a/b comparison, but my impression is the 8 just gives you "more" of what the 4 gives; but amazingly, not that much! And in my small space, the 8 would probably be a needless expenditure. You can kind of hear the designers' signature in both speakers (that slight recession in the mids) which, when I heard it described in the review, I thought might be a deal breaker for me (I like a strong midrange ... puts performers "in the room") ... But I just sat there going "This sounds right." Non-fatiguing, with enviable clarity and groove. The first (semi?) omnidirectional speaker I've heard that "work" for me, and boy, do they!

Tim, where did you buy your Larsens?

Addendum: I just heard the 6's. So, I've heard the whole line (apart from the center/surround...)! The 6 sounds VERY much like the 4, to my ears. I'm betting that folks end up buying the 4's or 8's ...

I really am struck by the stereo image these things throw; holographic, like a big-screen TV suspended in the air about 5 feet from the wall. Uncanny.

We're Sonabs a down market earlier version ... Or do I need to get my coat

It was,due,to Sonabs fun I bought briks

Larsen is a classy designer as I recall

We're Sonabs a down market earlier version ... Or do I need to get my coat

It was,due,to Sonabs fun I bought briks

Larsen is a classy designer as I recall

Are you cold?

John Larsen worked for(?) Stig Carlsson, who was Sonab's main man. But the Larsens are in a whole 'nother league from Sonab ...

B- I bought my Larsens off of Michael Vamos/Audio Skies when he was first setting his distribution up here in the US/Los Angeles. I think he said I bought the first US pair of Larsen Model 4's at the time. I have to admit, it was a punt for me as I never got to listen to them prior to purchase, and no real return on them either.

I had listened to earlier Sonab/Carlsson speakers many years back, so kind of knew what they were all about. The Model 4 more closely resembling the Carlsson OA 58 than any of the older Sonab variety. I agree though, the Larsen is definately a huge step up from the older Sonab. The Sonabs are still fun though along with Ohms, Shahinian and other omni-types.

Glad you got to listen to the Model 6, I have often wondered how much a step up in sound this one is from the 4, a good deal more money though. I can see where most would make the bigger leap to the 8 if funds allowed.

I have to say, the Larsens are just a good speaker period. A real easy to live with music lovers speaker, fairly easy to setup, easy on the amps, it gets out of the way of the listening room from a physical perspective, and yet gives a wonderful musical presentation. So far without going into crazy money listening to other designs, I haven't found anything I like any better in my room with my electronics.

[...]

Glad you got to listen to the Model 6, I have often wondered how much a step up in sound this one is from the 4, a good deal more money though. I can see where most would make the bigger leap to the 8 if funds allowed.

[...]

I don't think I've ever heard another line of speakers where the sonic character is so consistent throughout. The only decisions one needs make are, what's my budget? What's the size of the listening room?

Geez, I sound like a Larsen salesman ... :D

When you find something that is this good and works well, it is hard not to be vocal about them!

B-What is the rest of your system, curious about the entire chain in your setup.

When you find something that is this good and works well, it is hard not to be vocal about them!

B-What is the rest of your system, curious about the entire chain in your setup.

Tim,
I've not posted in quite some time. hope you are well. I'd love to hear the Larson. REG had a nice write up of the 8 in TAS. Can't believe the Shahinian price structure these days (don't tell rob400 as he thinks he sets the price). I've kept my Obs2 and am pairing them to good effect with VTL ST 150 tube amps. Much nicer than Dynavector imho. Not a pairing you hear about, but it works really well. The Pass amps are said to be a great match. their newer .8 series seem very promising.
All the best

Judging by the way I treat my unrestored tatty 15 inch Tannoy (non dal concentric from 1954) cabinets

I know that if I had those Sonabs now their would be papers on top of the grills

I confess

I recall they were very easy to locate for audio fun and they were at the end of a bed either side in a student pad

Very enjoyable circa 1969

Hi Linus, good to hear from you, was kind of wondering where you have been and how things were going! I am glad that you found a good amp match that gets you going, and are enjoying it.

I have to admit I hit a brick wall with my Obs and while the Plinius integrated worked really well with it, I just really could not get things to work as well in this room as I had hoped, knowing full well what the Obs are capable of.

So have some things in the works, but I am very pleased with how the Larsens do in my room and with the somewhat more simple to please Naim electronics. I stewed too much over Dynavector amps etc., and in the end, I just had to kind of walk away from it. More to come at some point, long story.

Drop in every now and then, okay?

All Naim: CD5>Flatcap XS>Nait XS 2>Credos (to be replaced by the Larsens in a few weeks' time.)

Hi Tim,
Hope the obs do end up working. I don't have the greatest room but they work well in it. Btw I had the Dynavector for nearly a year and I'm not sure what the fuss is about particularly with the l200. It's fine, but you can find a host of amps to run it off. My dealer who is friends with Mike and sells his stuff was very candid with him and said it wasn't a close call against the VTL which is $500.00 less new in the U.S. Plus you get all those lovely tube tonal virtues along with the power and some heat...
I don't know if the Larson would work in my room with the back wall cluttered with two racks of equipment. Oh well.
Take care
L

Bruce, should be a nice setup for the Larsens, somehow I missed your sig. line at the Karma or I would have seen what you had, duh. I do think once you get the Larsens in place, the Credo will be a distant memory. Maybe even soon forgotten...

Linus, somewhat long story short, after messing about with the Obs, I came to that realization that I want more out of them, and knowing what they can do, however the wherewithall to make that happen is non-existant. So I am working on a deal that in the end, really will be best for me and another party. Sadly in many ways, the Obs are going away, and my Larsens will remain in the main system, which is really just fine. I love the little buggers. But, I will also be gaining a pair of the Shahinian Larcs to play around with, and that will be fun.

A few years ago I downsized a lot of things, and I am still trying to sort of finish that out, so the Larcs may go into my bedroom with a Naim Qute and be done. Tired of fussing about! Again, good to hear from you!

advertisement

Back