advertisement

nice camera deal

vuk

\o/ choose anarchy
as i was ordering a 21mm voigtlander lens at cameraquest last week, i noticed they would throw in a bessa L camera for only an extra $69. that's slightly less than a leica body cap goes for and far less than what you'll pay for a leica lens hood. anyhow, the 21mm comes with hood, cap and accessory finder. it arrived on friday and i was shoked at how nice the camera looked. after fondling it for a bit, i just had to take a picture of it (with lens cap removed):

bessa_L_IMGP0062-01.jpg

isn't she magnificent? you know you're in trouble when you start taking pictures of cameras. it will be brick walls next, then air force test charts.

vuk.

p.s. here the link to the site that sells voigtlander:
http://www.cameraquest.com/inventor.htm

alex.

the camera itself does not have a viewfinder. it is meant to be used exclusively with very wide lenses (such as the 21mm i've mounted), which typically come with an accessory finder (mounted in the hot shoe). this is, of course, in the rangefinder world (although the bessa L doesn't have a rangefinder either--so, 10 points for the first guy to explain how you focus the lens).

vuk.

Hi
I was left a Voigtlander Vito-B by my father in law and it's a lovely little camera, does anyone have any experience of this one.
Regards
Jim

vuk-

Whatever happened to your *ist DS? I didn't keep up, but did you find the technology capable of doing what you need it to do, or not?

vuk-

Cool. Are you using some older Pentax lenses (the 50/1.4 you mention)?

The reason I am curious is that a young co-worker just bought the cheaper *ist DL and before he heads down the dreaded zoom lens path, I was hoping to provide a rec or two based on your experiences.

Also, are you finding RAW mode improved from the DS?

erik.

all of those pictures (including the bessa photo) were shot with the 50mm f/1.4

the pentax converter is better, but still not advisable. i'm using "raw shooter essentials".

vuk.

Vito-B:
My father used one of these (along with a light meter on occasion) for many years - he has some superb slides to show for it. I doubt they're worth much - better to use it and enjoy it! One of the first cameras I ever used, until I was given a Pentax S1 by my uncle.

the camera itself does not have a viewfinder. it is meant to be used exclusively with very wide lenses (such as the 21mm i've mounted), which typically come with an accessory finder (mounted in the hot shoe). this is, of course, in the rangefinder world (although the bessa L doesn't have a rangefinder either--so, 10 points for the first guy to explain how you focus the lens).
I would have thought that everything from say 2 feet or so right out to infinitny and beyond would be in focus in focus with such a lens so all you would have to worry about is keeping your verticals vertical. Am I right?

vuk said:
this is, of course, in the rangefinder world (although the bessa L doesn't have a rangefinder either--so, 10 points for the first guy to explain how you focus the lens).

Presumably it would be better to have everything out of focus to maximise the bokeh opportunities?

AlexG said:
Presumably it would be better to have everything out of focus to maximise the bokeh opportunities?

alex.

people with toy cameras shouldn't throw stones.

vuk.

auric said:
I would have thought that everything from say 2 feet or so right out to infinitny and beyond would be in focus in focus with such a lens so all you would have to worry about is keeping your verticals vertical. Am I right?

at a certain point everything will be in focus, but for close up things you need to look at the markings on the lens.

vuk.

Does that mean that as well as a light meter one needs a tape measure?

It all seems a bit, well, primitive.

advertisement

Back