advertisement

New Yorks, Tannoy project

I suppose i should at least try them with tweeters....and some box bracing. i will post some photos in my own thread and seek advice

they are in Lancasters, downward facing bass reflex and screw on table legs!

Maybe just try supertweeters if they are allegedly full-range, i.e. crossover quite quiet and high-up just to add a little air and sparkle. Do you have a spec sheet for them?

As above, simple minimal crossover cap in series, tweak value to taste.I'd be inclined to hold off on the bracing etc.... if ain’t broke etc etc

Last edited:
To quote the Spanish Inquisition 'no one expects anyone to accept Lancaster cabs!'

To be fair the screw holes feel polished and or slack and all had ghastly and worn old skool flathead screws in. I havent found the right modern crosshead thats short and fat enough to fill the old holes tightly

they were all kind of slack when i first felt them...but it was all the same sort of slack...as if handtightened and only slightly more...

I cant reuse these awkward sized screws...seriously ...maybe just less than an inch and not thick with mostly farked slots

The same screws for the speakers and the cab rears which just are not tight with these flatheads... what do others do... with Lancasters?

The front baffles have been drilled inelegantly for 8cm tweeters and the wiring is disgusting, but tweeters from the 603 tannoys look very competent up to 30 k which is supertweeter level....

So i have lining to replace with Bailey wool or modern BAF?
Crosshead screws to replace old flatheads?
How much torque when tightening? I dont want to overuse the screwholes anymore than essential.
What height of 50's screw in coffee table legs ... the old pamphlets have hi and low leg options.....!

Whose got a QuadII for trial or sale etc.? I can exchange for Williamson 4/20's

Last edited:
Maybe just try supertweeters if they are allegedly full-range, i.e. crossover quite quiet and high-up just to add a little air and sparkle. Do you have a spec sheet for them?
yes but not on my tablet... i think i got it from that Swedish site... is it hibernianlink ...the truth is there is no hf except sufficient to include all 78rpm potential... but if these are The studio. monitors then it would be tape i expect thru Quads

cant wait

Supertweeters are usually well out of my budget...I was given these as broken but i have looked for years for some big Tannoys...even thought of modern ones at one point

they are curious ... absolutely crystal clear on decent productions and exposing if the recording is not in the sweet zone. I guess thats what Pro kit is meant to provide

Its exciting to be putting such a clean modern signal in, no tape hiss, no rumble etc

because they fly, but always expose...fascinating

My LP12 Denon isnt so much fun as digital...but valves will likely change that

Cab fotos from my thread if OK?
You can just make out the leg plates on the top rightside cab...,the port points downward between the legs

The cones have a milkbottle aluminium type cap which isnt the dust cap so Lockwoods said and which They thought was not usual and maybe extends the bass somewhat for that punkster group led by Donegan!

Last edited:
OK, domestic arrangements mean these are now up for sale-basically the York cabs are thrown in for free as either a 'get you going' or a veneering project or just as a gift to your partner;-).
Drivers and crossovers which include Clarity Cap MR's on the HF.
£1100.

advertisement

Back