advertisement

New Vinyl

Vinny

pfm Member
Any chance that we can have a thread pinned here to cover the various reissue labels, all in one place? I am sick of searching the www to see if any particular re-issue label is of any worth and always loose paper lists.

I'll start -

Music on Vinyl - Dutch - pressing quality usually good or better but sources, although supposedly all "masters", vary considerably and may be digital or analogue, good, bad or indifferent. Their records are pressed at "The Vinyl Factory" in NL (an ex Sony plant).

Audio Fidelity - American - in my limited experience excellent pressings and content. Sources are routinely remixed. Pressed at "Quality Record Pressings" USA. (NOTE - a reincarnation of a very old label.)

Rhino is pretty good most of the time and with reasonable prices. They use Bernie Grundman and Kevin Gray as mastering engineers so that helps a lot.

Analogue Productions and Speaker's Corner have been around for a while and have an awesome catalogue of mainly classical and jazz, plus the whole golden era of the Beach Boys in stereo and mono. I have a couple of jazz and classical titles and are amongst the best sounding vinyl I have. Not cheap though.

Intervention Records appeared a few years back, small catalogue but they're really well done. I have This is Big Audio Dynamite and it sounds amazing. Not cheap.

Light in the Attic: they reissue some pretty offbeat stuff as well as more mainstream things. Don't know their sources but what I have from them is pressed great and sounds great. Prices are reasonable.

Sundazed: I'm treading more controversial waters here but they can be pretty good and they're transparent as to what sources they use.I have a lot of their reissues and some of them are great and some, meh, not so much. Prices are ok.

These Labels are 100% Analogue , Limited Pressing usually 250-1000 copies for best quality
Clearly stated on the jackets - Source , mastering engineer , pressing plant

Source - Mastertape or best Analogue Source
Mastered - Pure Analogue
Lacquers - Cut with a analogue preview head on the cutting lathe

Masterng Engineers used

Maarten de Boer - Emil Berliner Studios
Kevin Gray - Cohearent Audio
Bernie Grundman - Bernie Grundman
Steve Hoffman - Acoustech
Stan Ricker - Mobile Fidelity
Ray Staff - Air Mastering
Ryan K Smith - Sterling Sound
Rob Loverde - Mobile Fidelity
Kreig Wunderlich - Mobile Fidelity

Best Pressing Plants Used

RTI - Usa
QRP - Usa
Pallas - Germany

Analogphonic - Korea
Audio Fidelity - Usa
Analogue Productions - Usa
Berliner Meister Schallplatten - Germany
Chasing the Dragon - UK
Electric Recording Company - UK
Fone Records - Italy
Gearbox Records - UK
Impex - Usa
Intervention Records - Usa
Mobile Fidelity - Usa
Neu Klang - Germany
Original Recordings Group - Usa
Speakers Corner - Germany
Pure Pleasure - Uk
Tacet - Germany
Testament Uk

99% of the market with a " Audiophile 180 gram vinyl " Sticker
is a total crap shot regards source , mastering & pressing

Add Music Matters to daytona's list for a great Blue Note catalogue. Still available direct from Music Matters, although looks like the series has finally come to a halt. Also, Kevin Gray is cutting some of the Jazz Dispensary titles, pressed by QRP. The Joe Henderson and Rusty Bryant sound fabulous. Hoffmanites are reporting excellent results from the rest of the series.

advertisement

Back