advertisement

New Rega turntable

Any more insight as to the new Rega turntable? I'm assuming it's the replacement for the RP8 (and maybe RP10).

Nothing on their website yet

Perhaps the Neo stroboscope was meant as new product or any new Planar just delayed further ?
New MM cartridges ?
Streamer ?

Speculation only

You'll find out at 10 o clock today.... bit like an exit poll at the other end of the day..:)

Apart from the limited edition Record Store Day Planar 2, what else was announced?

I thought Rega had a "brand new" turntable for the range?

You are looking at a sticky tweet from 1 August 2017.

Below is the new announcement, Record Store Day 2018 turntable, "Built around the stunning, high gloss acrylic skin plinth from the award winning Rega Planar 2".
http://www.rega.co.uk/news/record-store-day-2018-turntable-announced.html

Boring..... :D Though can't say I'm too surprised if that is all they are releasing. Planar 8 is next logical release & as I said earlier in this thread, likely to soon for it as the 6 just rolled out not too long ago. Late this year or early 2019 would be my guess for Planar 8. Though not all that impatient for this release anymore as I swapped my modded RP6 for a Bryston BLP-1 & was rather shocked how much better is sounds in my setup.

Edit: & going back over my original post looks like I even called just a special edition of a table that's currently already out ;)

Rather disappointing release, when the Rega promotional info (Bristol Show) referred to a “brand new addition to the range” .... considering that this is a 500 unit limited edition, I can’t see this as an ‘addition to the range’ because once they’ve all sold, there will no longer be an ‘addition to the range’!

I was hoping for something above the RP10 or between the 8 and 10

Not a huge issue but just disappointed following the way it way promoted in the run up to the Bristol Show .... bit of an anticlimax really.

I guess that’s media for you .... all about spin :)

Mr Frog,

We did indeed release a new turntable at the Bristol Show but you must have missed it. Along with RSD 2018 deck we launched the Planar 1 plus, which essentially is a Planar 1 with a built in phono stage and was featured and was playing in room 224. At no point did we say or even suggest anything other than what we delivered, a new addition to the range. There was speculation prior to the event as to what that might be but it was not fuelled by us, and I am sorry that you were disappointed and it was an anti-climax for you.

PD

Plug n play TT = nice for a lot of people, paired with a phono to 3.5mm jack lead it makes a simple connection to an active speaker very easy (hint: look at my avatar..)

Good idea Mr D.

Good call from Rega; these should sell like hotcakes!

Seems someone predicted as much back in November...

...I wonder how long it will be before Rega release something similar under their own brand?

xvinylplay-gallery-3_2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6sSxFBGLf8.jpg

Last edited:
Mr Frog,

We did indeed release a new turntable at the Bristol Show but you must have missed it. Along with RSD 2018 deck we launched the Planar 1 plus, which essentially is a Planar 1 with a built in phono stage and was featured and was playing in room 224. At no point did we say or even suggest anything other than what we delivered, a new addition to the range. There was speculation prior to the event as to what that might be but it was not fuelled by us, and I am sorry that you were disappointed and it was an anti-climax for you.

PD
Planar 1 Plus sounds like just what I want Paul. When will it be available and at what price point please...
Thanks

Mr Frog,

PD

Hi Paul

I didn't actually manage to get to the show, so I was reliant on what is actually published on the Rega website and postings from show attendees.

The Planar 1 Plus sounds a great concept and should certainly be a great success in introducing newcomers to vinyl.

Based on the fact that the Rega website (News) only mentions the limited edition Record Store Day edition (and no mention of the Planar 1 Plus), it is only natural to conclude that the limited edition version was in fact what was referred to in the press release ... i.e. "The Sound and Vision Show 2018 will be the showcase for a world exclusive reveal of a new Rega turntable. This brand-new product will be a welcome addition to an already multi-award winning range".

Perhaps there should be a news entry on the website regarding the new Planar 1 Plus, as well as the limited edition RSD ..

Hopefully this explains why I was disappointed and felt it an anticlimax ....

The fact that you have now clarified the new Planar 1 Plus is the addition to the range, removes that disappointment completely and I am grateful for your input.

Reactions: aht
I know bottom feeding Rega's are good news for the hipster vinyl revivalists and their handful of new records from Sainsbury's but for a forum full of folks who love their records long time, nothing to get excited about here. I was hoping we'd see Rega's rumoured statement player. Something to salivate over like.

Oh Lewis, sales of your 'bottom feeding Rega's [sic erat scriptum]' are what fund the research that allows for the continued development of your preferred 'statement' players.

advertisement

Back