advertisement

New LP12 motor and top plate…

kanwar

pfm Member
Hi folks. I need to replace the motor on my LP12 and I was thinking about something other than what Linn use; I have the version without the grey cap and spring. I don’t want to go nuts and replace the Lingo 2 that is part of the set up, just the motor (John). Hopefully there would be an improvement in sound into the bargain, too. Also I have a chance to purchase a top plate with the corner bolt mod, I still have the original – without, which sits very nicely in the plinth. Should I go for it or leave what I have?

Any sensible suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I've just built a Linn up for myself after years in the vinyl wilderness.
I bought a new motor(£99) for peace of mind.
I hear the bolt mod improves things but unless you are comfortable rebuilding and setting up the Linn, fun though it is, I would go for just the motor.

I know you say you don’t want to replace your Lingo 2 but I would seriously listen to the new Lingo 4 which includes their new 12v AC motor and sounded mighty good to me.

Richard

Hi, I've just built a Linn up for myself after years in the vinyl wilderness.
I bought a new motor(£99) for peace of mind.
I hear the bolt mod improves things but unless you are comfortable rebuilding and setting up the Linn, fun though it is, I would go for just the motor.
So did you purchase the Linn motor?

I know you say you don’t want to replace your Lingo 2 but I would seriously listen to the new Lingo 4 which includes their new 12v AC motor and sounded mighty good to me.

Richard

Cheers Richard, thanks for the tip but you’re talking about a lot of bucks and I don’t really want to invest anymore in my LP12 set up; it sounds great the way it is – just this slight niggle with the motor which ticks….

Cheers Richard, thanks for the tip but you’re talking about a lot of bucks and I don’t really want to invest anymore in my LP12 set up; it sounds great the way it is – just this slight niggle with the motor which ticks….

Try a couple drops of sewing machine oil right where the spindle enters the motor, cleared the ticking for me. I later replaced the motor with the latest Linn supplied model when changing to a Khan top plate.

Try a couple drops of sewing machine oil right where the spindle enters the motor, cleared the ticking for me. I later replaced the motor with the latest Linn supplied model when changing to a Khan top plate.

The turntable man used to do this in our shop, add a drop of oil; I forgot all about this, mind you it was over 30 years ago! Thanks John, I’ll give it a go…

advertisement

Back