advertisement

New house, new speakers

Telstar

pfm Member
I have recently moved in a new flat and I’m looking to change speakers as I gladly dont have a difficult room anymore. :)
The new room isnt too big but regular in shape with total size of 28 sqm.

My preference is towards 3 way floorstanders with a musical presentation, PRAT, great vocals and deep tight bass. I’m very picky and there are more things i dont like than those I do ;) such as 99% of reflex designs (Avalon, Tidal, focal Utopia being the only exceptions which were OK), metal tweeters and mids, most ribbon tweeters (all those in commercial speakers in my price range and beyond).

I’m looking at PMC ob1i, ATC scm40, Focal 1028 or supra 2... more suggestions welcome :)

Last edited:
What is your system?
I have Focal 1038s which are often discounted due to Sopra 2coming a long around same price. They are big compared to 1028s so not sure if your room can handle them. They have downward firing port vs rear port of 1028s.
Powerful and very efficient.
I personally find them more attractive than Sopra 2s- more traditional appearance- the Champagne wood is gorgeous
David

The system is composed of a fanless PC as source with audio-gd master reference DAC and a Classè cap 151 integrated amp. A (low power) second amp and a multi channel volume control will be sold after i get the new speakers.

I haven’t listened to any Focal of the electra range, but from what I read so far the 1038 could be bass heavy in a medium size room. The rear port of the 1028 can be closed with foam, so placement should be similar.
I will need to audition either, being a relatively classic reflex I could end hating them tout court. I have direct experience only with various speakers from the utopia range and not in small rooms.
A plus for the focal is the availablity of piano white finish which would match my furniture better than black or any wood veneer.

Last time I looked Tomtom had some Naim NBLs in, though they don’t say whether they’re active or passive, the price says they have crossovers but you’d have to ask. They tick pretty well all your boxes and the soundstage is surprisingly good for boundary speakers. They need a solid wall to back on to and precision in placement, 5.5cm wall to wood works in my room (4.1m by ~3.8m) better than 5mm either side of that.

Last time I looked Tomtom had some Naim NBLs in, though they don’t say whether they’re active or passive, the price says they have crossovers but you’d have to ask. They tick pretty well all your boxes and the soundstage is surprisingly good for boundary speakers.

They need a solid wall to back on to and precision in placement, 5.5cm wall to wood works in my room (4.1m by ~3.8m) better than 5mm either side of that.
Naim speakers (not just the NBL) don’t thick the most important one: they are not 3-way. I currently have a 2-way design and this point is a must.
I have solid walls btw.

3 way? NBLs are, as are DBLs though their looks are against the latter. They are a bit of a risk in that Naim have run out of spare bass and mid drivers for both however.
There’s a thread on somenew Magicos that look interesting, $9k in the states and no UK prices yet.
What are your current speakers?

My usual response. Look at the Usher range. Best bang for your buck out there. Sound beautiful and look beautiful.

My usual response. Look at the Usher range. Best bang for your buck out there. Sound beautiful and look beautiful.

I had a pair of Usher Mini Dancer 2 DMDs in a 30sqm room, no problem. Just might struggle finding a pair in the UK, not much Usher stock knocking about. It took a lot of money & time to find anything significantly better.

I have focal 1028. Biggest improvement in bass came after putting Townshend speaker isolation underneath.

I had a pair of Usher Mini Dancer 2 DMDs in a 30sqm room, no problem. Just might struggle finding a pair in the UK, not much Usher stock knocking about. It took a lot of money & time to find anything significantly better.

I'm pretty sure there's an ex demo pair of Dancers on eBay

Will do. I don’t think I ever heard these, maybe they don’t have a distributor in Italy (I’m not in the UK).

I’d like to listen to the Russel K 150s as well which look interesting on paper (22hz tuned port is acceptable for me).

Usher Dancers 1 and 2 on eBay ATM being sold by the UK distributor.

NB I have no connection with Usher or the distributor

I have focal 1028. Biggest improvement in bass came after putting Townshend speaker isolation underneath.

Two questions then if I may:
- Do you have the be or be II version?
- What kind of floor do you have? I have marble tiles over concrete and empty rooms under me, so not really an issue for low bass vibrations. Still, I would consider an isolation mat if it improves the sound.

3 way? NBLs are, as are DBLs though their looks are against the latter. They are a bit of a risk in that Naim have run out of spare bass and mid drivers for both however.
There’s a thread on somenew Magicos that look interesting, $9k in the states and no UK prices yet.
What are your current speakers?

My bad, i keep finding SBL and Allae only that i forgot the NBL weren’t 2-way. I was looking for them some time ago with no luck. I’ll look again. The DBL would be too big for my room.

I am following the thread on the Magico A3 but they are out of my price range even if they did 1$/€ change which is rather uncommon. Maybe in 2-3 years on 2nd hand market :)

My current speakers are DYI made dipoles, 2 ways biamped and elextronically XO. I have had Linn and proac in the past (of which i much prefer the old models).

Two questions then if I may:
- Do you have the be or be II version?
- What kind of floor do you have? I have marble tiles over concrete and empty rooms under me, so not really an issue for low bass vibrations. Still, I would consider an isolation mat if it improves the sound.
I have be2

Floor is solid wood on concrete in a room about 5m x 6m

Like the usher comment above I keep pushing tekton designs. If you can live with the aesthetics you will not be outperformed for the money. Double impacts. Direct from factory. Check it.

Do you mean SCM40s ? I haven't heard of the 30s but I might not be up to speed.

I had current model SCM40s, certainly ticked the great vocals and deep, tight bass. I only sold them because a pair of active 50s became available and it was too much to resist, as it's the only used pair I've ever seen for sale here in the last 12 years.

What amps are you using?

advertisement

Back