advertisement

New Fuji M43

It's f*cking expensive when Americans will buy it for $1K and it's made in neither country so there's no excuse for it. At £600 it could be great if you like to shoot at 35mm and nothing else or whatever the fixed lens is

Guys, it is going to have an APS-C sensor like the Nikon D300 and a 23mm (*1.5 = 35mm) lens

I think it is targetted at being the Japanese competition for the Leica X1. As such it is likely to be high quality, but over priced.

Given that Fuji are spread either side of mid price (lots of cheap digicams and they also own Hasselblad) this would be a pretty new innovation for them - in the $1000 bracket instead of <$200 and > $10,000

Is that good or bad?

well, I thought it looked great - the lens is obviously very good, but maybe for that kind of shot it isn't a dedicated macro lens, but very good as a standard lens nonetheless. The background defocus is pretty typical of Fuji lenses - eg those used on Hasselblad H series - so no shame in that. For me the only real weakness (and I don't care about this much really) is the lack of megapixels - 16 or 18mp would be better, but for an ever ready camera in the pocket this thing looks better than the Ricoh GRD II / III by a country mile and is probably a bit better than the Leica X1 too (I need to see the viewfinder to check this but the X1 only has a separate optical VF (optional) plus the display on the back (which I hate using)

cheers
Cliff

PS what did you think about the image quality ?

I used to shoot with a medium format fixed length film Fuji and the lens was amazing - I'm hoping for great things. I think that the camera is very interesting and would love to get my hands on one to see if it's worth spending £1k on. I don't see that file size being a great issue in the end. Have you heard that Ricoh are producing a Leica mount for the GXR camera too? I have a GRD II which takes amazing pics but has it's limitations. Take a look at dpreview as they posted some Beta tests of the X100 at the weekend. http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/r...=fujifilm-finepix-x100-pre-production-samples I'm always very wary of sample images

how long before you get one Cliff?

well, they're not in the shops yet ... but I think the sample photo from DP Review at ISO6400 showing a bowl of fruit is absolutely amazing. I would see it as a replacement for my Lumix as a carry round :D

I was also wondering about one, I don't have a small digital camera of any description and this might be what i'm looking for. Anyhow, i'm in no hurry, i'll wait till I can fondle one in a shop.

I was down at Focus today and had a good look at it. Loved the look and the feel of it. Sample images looked superb as well. Might be in the market later this year for a wee treat for myself and this is topping the list.

I took home a K-5 as well as a K-Mount/M42 adaptor - price of the K-5 was quite attractive on the jacobs stand.

What the advantage of this over a Sony NEX-5 then?

Its all about the image quality and the ease of composition. A rangefinder style viewfinder should be great for composition. If Fuji's S5 Pro sensor is anything to go by then this new sensor should be excellent too. Second hand Fuji S5s go for a real premium for people who want top quality in representing faces and skin texture. I haven't used the NEX5 but is basically has the same technology in the sensor as in the cheaper end of the Alpha series cameras. So I would expect a lot of noise in dark areas at high is with the Sony. The samples from the X100 at ISO6400 look amazing. The lack of interchangeable lenses isn't a problem for many people who would see this as a take everywhere camera when you don't want to lug a bag of lenses with you.

advertisement

Back