advertisement

New Fuji M43

cliffpatte

Speed camera anarchist
After the minor excitement earlier in the week of Cosina Voigtalnder's entry into the Micro Four Thirds world with a manual focus 25mm (50mm equiv) F0.95 lens comes the sighting of the new Fuji camera

c8e33d3d.jpg

I guess this probably finally rules out a potential Full frame SLR based on a Nikon body, but it probably makes sense for Fuji to be concentrating on 645 (they own a large share of hasselblad) and micro four thirds.

Interesting! (although it could be a fake)

35mm is not "long". A normal length on 35mm film is 50mm, 35mm is a moderate wide-angle. Not a bad choice as lots of people like it, but it's my least favourite focal length, being neither wide enough to be a truly useful wide nor long enough to be a practical all-rounder. For me at least.

I think 35mm works well as an only lens - if you have a choice a 28 and a 50 work better as a pair. Since I think it is fixed, then 35mm is probably a good enough choice. Why they can't make it removable is a bit weird, but there we are!

35 is *not* too wide!! It's a "rangefinder" - well, kind of - so a nice fast 28 would be ideal; 35 f/2 is, meh, OK. I'm more interested in how fast it responds when you hit the go button...

I'm OK with the 35mm equivalent perspective. I'm guessing that the price is what's going to keep it out of my camera bag.

Any idea how many quatloos it will cost?

Joe

It's a niche item, and all that talk of leather and metal construction makes me think they're not pitching it at the budget end of the market... :)

Looks very interesting, if maybe a bit too retro for my taste (too close to a Leica IMO) they could have left out the lever with the red dot, for example.

Also the built in flash is completely unnecessary IMO: If you are serious about flash photography then you will certainly not be using a crappy built in one.

Would be nice if it's also available in black.

Optical viewfinder shows only 90% - would be nice to have a bit more.

The 35mm equivalent lens is fine with me.

Samuel.

Samuel,

That white thingy isn't a flash. It illuminates the brightlines in the viewfinder.

Joe

Joe,

Oh, OK (I should have realised that - same principle as the Leica M then).

Just found that it also has a video option - totally unnecessary IMO.

Here's a thought: how about if a camera manufacturer let's you put together the operating system/menu structure of your camera on his website, allowing you to chose whatever you want from a given portfolio of functions and options for this given camera model, and leaving out those functions/options you don't need, then you can download this operating system onto your camera and live happily ever after?

advertisement

Back