1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New car choice again.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by AV8, Jun 17, 2017.

1. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

Clarkson bums up Golfs a lot and has a GTI for himself. Might not suit the OP though.

2. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Remind me, what car do you drive avole ?

3. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Never really fancied a Golf even though they are somewhat worshipped by some people.

4. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

I really fancy the Mazda 6 I have to say, I hope it doesn't disappoint on the test drive, that would be so nail in the coffin.

5. avole

avole He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches.

A Clio. I have a scooter too, 125cc of pure adrenalin.

6. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Who is this Clarkson?

7. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Petrol or diesel Clio ?

The Clio my brother had was a 1.5DCi SatNav, nice car plagued with problems though.

8. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

AV8 - buy the car that fits you best, and sod the internetz opinion.

(says a man with some willful choices...)

9. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

I'm trying & I think it is down to three or four choices now.

Always like to hear others opinions though.

10. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I already suggested Subaru in post #9 ...

But the OP does not seem interested enough to respond to that suggestion, but seem destined to return to the VW fold despite the initial protestation he'd never.

I'd consider another Subaru again, possibly a BR-Z or WRX when the next model update occurs. My 12-year old Legacy with three times the mileage has less rattles and squeaks than my 4-year old BMW.

11. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Hard to say, it is less powerful so I'd expect it would feel sluggish. Naturally aspirated engines deliver power differently to turbocharged engines. You generally need more displacement to get the same power from a naturally aspirated engine (I'm guessing you know that already) but I tend to find a naturally aspirated engine preferable to a turbocharged engine with a similar output, I like the way the power builds as it revs higher as opposed to getting a large chunk of power in the middle of the rev range. Powerful naturally aspirated engines are getting rare though.

12. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

People like me, I have two!:D

13. jay

jay built for speed

Since you were interested in the Kuga (yuck imv) have you thought about the new Mazda CX5? Mazda are selling plenty and I believe they have addressed the low class cabin with the latest update. It's practical and drives well too, I'm not sure what the engines are like. In the past Mazda haven't offered much choice.

Jay

14. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

I won't be returning to the VW fold at all, Skoda was just a thought in my mind based on the TSi engine.

As for Subaru, not interested whatsoever hence the lack of response.

15. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

The wife was interested in a Kuga, I am not.

16. TPA

TPA Trade: Tiger Paw

If you don't like the idea of repair bills then look at something like Kia, they come with 7 year/100k warranties. Alternatively Toyota still make very reliable cars. European cars might be more interesting to drive but if a car is just a appliance to you then that's what I'd be looking at.

17. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Repair bills are expected but on this occasion the cost of a 2 piece exhaust for a humble Passat to me was extortionate at nearly £1000 fitted. I have checked other mainstream vehicles & they come in at up to £300 mostly, I'd happily pay that.

Warranty is now a deciding factor to a degree but reliability plays its part as well, also a good dealer network that you can feel happy to deal with is a good bonus.

VW dealers in my opinion are somewhat lacking, the customer services is woeful.

If I thought that a car was just an appliance to get from A to B then I'd buy a moped instead in all honesty.

I enjoy driving mostly so want something with a bit of driver appeal & involvement, that is why I really want the Mazda 6 to be likeable when I test drive it & if it gets the grin factor I think it might be the one.

What Toyota vehicles can you suggest ?

18. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

He is otherwise known as the great prophet Jeremiah. He begat bad styling of men's attire and insulting of many tribes outside of his ancestral land.

And he did say unto a kindly Irish producer;

19. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

For the most part (GT86 excepted) these two statements are incompatible. Toyotas are not designed for driver appeal & involvement. They do the reliable A to B thing better than most and will be very reliable. They work best if you wear beige elasticated waist trousers :p

I read the early posts so have not read all the in-between stuff but the Mondeo original suggestion and the Mazda 6 are fine choices. I had an early Mondeo and have always had a soft spot for Ford. My brother has enjoyed a Mazda 6 for a few years and put galactic mileages onto his cars.

20. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Toyota can thank Subaru for the driver appeal of the GT86. It's the only Toyota I'd seriously consider buying before I must wear elasticised beige pants.