1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

new body to go with Nikon 300mm f2.8

Discussion in 'photo' started by ron, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

Well, i imagine a 400/2.8 would be sharper, but then you are into lenses that cost the same as new cars... :-(

2. ron

ron Tweaker

Thanks, I'm thinking of getting the 300mm pf to go with the f2.8, the pf is extremely light at about 750g compared to the 3kg f2.8. It would be nice to have a lighter option in good weather. I walked over 11 miles carrying this beast at the weekend and my shoulder is feeling it .

Heres a couple of Kingfishers , the light was really low so I took these wide open with the TC attached (f4) , shutter 1/160 at high ISO

[​IMG]_DSC2141first_openWith-Edit D500 300mm f2.8 + TC-14e iii by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC2303_openWith-Edit D500 300mm f2.8 + TC-14e iii by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC2051_openWith-Edit D500 300mm f2.8 + TC-14e iii by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

3. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

Fantastic work, Leo

4. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

Extraordinary. Thanks for sharing these.

5. DaddyDJ

DaddyDJ Active Member

Superb images Leo especially good at such high ISOs.
    I have been lusting after the D750 but will now consider the D500 as a replacement for my D7000 and D7100. Most of my work is in low light.

6. ron

ron Tweaker

Thanks, I had the D7000 before the D500, lovely little camera imo. I'm finding the D500 digs out more detail and has better high ISO although its certainly not as clean as the D750 high ISO's. Main reason I got the D500 was for the AF which is better than anything I've tried including the D750.

If I wasn't mainly into wildlife I'd go for a D750 although I've heard some bad reports regarding the reliability of the shutter mech

7. ron

ron Tweaker

8. ron

ron Tweaker

9. ron

ron Tweaker

10. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

Once again Ron - amazing, thanks. What focus mode do you use?

11. ron

ron Tweaker

Thank you , for this I used group AF being small birds. I normally use single point focus . I've just ordered a 300mm f4 PF lens to try out , 755g compared to my 3kg f2.8

12. Oakwood

Oakwood pfm Member

Will be interested in your views once you do get it. A lens I mulling over at the moment. Great images by the way.

13. ron

ron Tweaker

300mm f4 PF + TC-14e iii at f5.6

Just a quick test, lighting was poor with thick cloud so I'm hoping the weathers better at the weekend . This lens is light as a feather compared to my f2.8 , focus is pretty quick , its not as sharp as the f2.8 but for the difference in price I wouldn't expect it to be .

I was stood underneath a tree when I noticed this Heron was fishing, looks like it caught a young Pike ? Could have done with a little faster shutter speed

[​IMG]_DSC4166_openWith-Edit D500 300mm PF + TC-14e iii f5.6 by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

At minimum focus distance a quick shot of this tiny fly , second pic is just cropped. Its pretty sharp so I'm looking forward to trying it out on Butterflies and Dragonflies

[​IMG]_DSC40891_openWith by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC4089_openWith by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

14. ron

ron Tweaker

15. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

It's missing a bit!

Very impressive.

16. ron

ron Tweaker