advertisement

new body to go with Nikon 300mm f2.8

ron

Tweaker
Just brought a second hand 300mm F2.8 VR1 in excellent condition to use alongside my 80-400G. Its a fair bit bigger and heavier than the 80-400G but I'm hoping it'll be better suited under lower light for birding . I'm also going to upgrade my old D7000 next, anybody used a D500 with either of these lenses ? Would love a D810 but not sure if the AF is fast enough for birds

New toy, quite a bit bigger and heavier than my 80-400G by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

Played a bit with a couple of demo D500 when I was in Tokyo a couple of weeks ago. Really fantastic feel and ultra fast autofocus. No firsthand experience with actual image quality, but I'm sure it will be great based on what I've seen on other sites (if not quite to the standards of a D810). The extra reach and autofocus coverage provided by the DX sensor is likely to be appreciated for the intended purpose as well. If I were buying a new camera today, it likely would be the D500.

I agree, forget full frame, go D500 - i'm not sure you could design a better camera for this sort of work. It's basically aimed at the sport/wildlife enthusiast.

The D500 is terrific; I've not shot it with the 300 2.8, though I did blast at some passing birds when it was first released, it'd a bargain for what it is.

That's the lens I covet. One day... it shall be mine. It'd marry nicely with one of my (oldschool) D3's.

Thank you, I've ordered a D500 today so will see if its worth the upgrade over my D7000

I went from a D7000 to a D500 last year, not with a lens as exotic as the 300 F2.8 but mostly using a 80-200 F2.8 and a 300 F4. The D500 is certainly faster focusing and higher resolving, plus it has an amazing 10FPS. After a year I can say that I am happy with the change, but still realize that the D7000 is one heck of camera in its own right.

Thanks Martin, I do macro too so just hoping the IQ is at least as good as the D7000. TBH I've not been totally blown away by the D500 images seen so far .

Latest issue of N-Photo did a comparison of current Nikon bodies. Their conclusion was the D500 is best if you are into mainly wildlife/sports but technically the D750 beats it on IQ at higher ISOs and the 810 is better still

Latest issue of N-Photo did a comparison of current Nikon bodies. Their conclusion was the D500 is best if you are into mainly wildlife/sports but technically the D750 beats it on IQ at higher ISOs and the 810 is better still

Well, that's hopefully not surprising, as a full frame sensor should collect more light. If you need reach, and if you are sticking a 300/2.8 then that's likely to be the case, the D500 gives you better image quality than cropping a full frame image down to the same cropped size.

I always liked the 1.3x crop canon sensors - it seemed like a sensible compromise between reach and sensitivity, with the current 1.5x size feeling like it's more driven by cost rather than a proper technical compromise.

Anyhow, great D500 image, I imagine many more to come!

I am no expert, especially (but not exclusively) where birding is concerned but even I can appreciate glorious photography.

Your images almost appear 3D with the subject/s beautifully standing out. Nice colours too.

The Lizard is just fantastic.

I am no expert, especially (but not exclusively) where birding is concerned but even I can appreciate glorious photography.

Your images almost appear 3D with the subject/s beautifully standing out. Nice colours too.

The Lizard is just fantastic.

Thanks, I'm certainly no expert either and still have a lot to learn . It's nice being able to take photos in less than ideal conditions though , it's proving less frustrating with the D500 and 300 f2.8

_DSC1021_DxO D500 300 f/2.8 VR1 by leo kirkbride, on Flickr

advertisement

Back